Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Sheaffer Legacy 1 with TD filler....Observations

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default I bought a Sheaffer Legacy 1 with TD filler....Observations

I bought a Silver Interrupted Barleycorn with gold plated trim Sheaffer Legacy 1 with factory stub nib. It was new old stock, and looked like it when I opened the box. It even had it's original gold price tag on it! I was very happy to see it.

This touchdown filling system is new to me so I thought I would make some observations on it. The booklet says to unscrew then pull out the plunger tube, put the nib into the ink, then press it down and pull it up again, then press it down quickly and hold it in the ink for 10 seconds.

I tried this, and found that the ink fill started to run out after a couple of pages of writing. Yes, it's a broad Stub nib, and it uses much more ink than say a Fine nib would, but I wasn't overly impressed with the ink capacity. I'm in Florida at the moment, but never come here without my trusty syringe, so I tried the effect of following the instructions for the TD filler, and pumping more than the number of times it suggested. I always ended by pushing the plunger down quickly, and leaving the nib submerged in ink for at least 10 seconds.

After doing this I then unscrewed the pen and removed the TD converter and tried the effect of adding more ink using my syringe. I expected more ink to go in than actually does and find that I can't add much more ink to the converter. My conclusion is that the TD filler is working quite effectively, and is filling with a reasonable amount of ink.

I'm assuming now that the TD converter doesn't hold very much ink. Maybe less than a cartridge holds? I have a couple of Sheaffer press bar converters with the red base, and I have read that these can be used in exactly the same way as the TD converters, as they contain pli-glass sacs, and are the same as the gold tube TD converters. My guess is that they will hold about the same amount of ink though, not more.

When I get home I will carefully try out a twist action Sheaffer converter in there. Whether it will fit inside the plunger tube I don't know yet. But either it will or it won't. I will be careful and see it it works. Edit to add: a twist action converter is too long to fit inside while the TD filler is in there.

It's a fabulous pen, but I just wish it held a bit more ink.

Sorry but the picture is poor because I only have a long lens for my camera.

2017-06-14 14.58.03.jpg2017-06-14 19.53.27.jpg2017-06-14 14.56.43.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 15th, 2020 at 11:35 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (June 13th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (June 15th, 2017), pajaro (November 12th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (June 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: I bought a Sheaffer Legacy 1 with TD filler....Observations

I just syringe filled my Legacy 1 TD filler to see. I get just shy of 1ml in mine. about .9
    Not an exact measurement.

I just used the ML lines on the side of my syringe and watched till came up to the top and then tested to see if it overflowed by continuing with the syringe. .9 was about what I could get in there.

Just activating the TD gave me about .6 or so (just an estimate not a measure).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (June 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Thanks to both of you for testing and posting the capacity of the Touchdown filler. Alas, in my hands, the theoretical maximum of the TD filler is never reached. I always use the squeeze filler, instead.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Touchdown and Snorkel pens do not hold much ink.

I have never seen a TD filled pen that would also accept a converter or a cartridge. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

Thanks

I think we would all enjoy some pictures

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Chrissy,

I did a bit of online research to find comparison of the dimensions of the TD filler unit with Sheaffer's piston-type converter. Have a look: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...hed-copper-fp/

The pneumatic TD mechanism leaves no room for the converter. You might have to find one of those mini converters, like the ones used in Kaweco Sport pens, but that leaves the issue of compatibility where the converter meets the section.

Fred

Thanks

Yeah the piston doesn't fit. Only the squeezies fit (they are the same size and dimentions at the included TD filler, which is essentially a squeeze converter w/o the slot and bar).

I have often wondered if you trimmed down the piston converter knob or used one of the wierd converters for the Intrigue if that would work.

But for max capacity you probably are not going to beat the syringe filled cart which gets you close to a full 1 ML.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (June 13th, 2017), FredRydr (June 13th, 2017)

Thanks

That's what I use. Simplest and most effective solution.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post

But for max capacity you probably are not going to beat the syringe filled cart which gets you close to a full 1 ML.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    That's what I use. Simplest and most effective solution.

Though for the record I still use the TD filler (still works great --for now) and have been happy with that. When it poops the bed I'll just swap in the squeeze converter. Nowadays I carry enough pens that I am okay with whatever the TD filler is giving me but I am not sure how much longer it will work this well. Folks seem not to bother restoring the TD filler and just move to the converter but Legacy came from Mottishaw and worked great out of the box.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Chrissy, I think I have the same pen, different nib (B) and finish (brushed goldtone). (Even HAD to buy an extra section, F).

It has that semi-touchdown filler, but also uses carts. And most of the time, when I write with this pen, I do use carts. They are easier to install and clean (yup, I re-use them) and they do hold more ink, plus you can easily see how much ink is left.

But I have to admit the good TD filler mechanism looks cool.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Touchdown and Snorkel pens do not hold much ink.

I have never seen a TD filled pen that would also accept a converter or a cartridge. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.
    The Legacy pens definitely take the converter with the press bar or a Sheaffer cartridge. It says so in the instructions. Ron Zorn has asked Sheaffer about the difference between the TD filler unit and the red base converter. He was advised that the only difference was the outer metal casing, and he was advised that either can be used and will both work exactly the same with the TD filler. I checked this information out before buying mine.

The thing is that the red base converter/TD converter just don't hold much ink.

I will post pictures. Soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Chrissy,

I did a bit of online research to find comparison of the dimensions of the TD filler unit with Sheaffer's piston-type converter. Have a look: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...hed-copper-fp/

The pneumatic TD mechanism leaves no room for the converter. You might have to find one of those mini converters, like the ones used in Kaweco Sport pens, but that leaves the issue of compatibility where the converter meets the section.

Fred
    Darn it. That's a nuisance. I guessed the twist action converter might be too long. I might have to consider refilling cartridges then for the biggest ink fill

Thanks

I just syringe tested the cartrirdge and got just about 1ml which was more than i could syringe into the piston converter.

All totally unscientific and when i do these there is likely some water in the syringe tip that I am not counting. It makes me wonder what the more exact proceedure would be but it seems clear that the Cartridge holds the most, the squeeze and TD the second most and the piston holds a little less than that? I don't have the old button one.

Thanks

Yeah the piston doesn't fit. Only the squeezies fit (they are the same size and dimentions at the included TD filler, which is essentially a squeeze converter w/o the slot and bar).

I have often wondered if you trimmed down the piston converter knob or used one of the wierd converters for the Intrigue if that would work.

Yes I think that's a good plan.

Thanks

I've now added some pictures to my original post to show the pen with it's TD filler and a Sheaffer red base converter fitted.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

MarieBM (November 12th, 2020), stub (June 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Amazing nib and amazing pen overal. I wanted one of those. I like the patern and those patina very nicely. I am envious. What a pen!

Thanks

Amazing nib and amazing pen overal. I wanted one of those. I like the patern and those patina very nicely. I am envious. What a pen!
    Thank you.

I first saw one years ago on eBay.uk. At the time I thought it went at a price that was too high for me, but when I never saw another I regretted not buying it. Then before I came to the US, I saw this one on eBay.com, and messaged the seller to ask if there was any room for negotiation on the price. Lo and behold he had his own web-site and makes pens, so he sent me his web-site details and we went from there.

I'm very pleased with it, but the juicy stub nib uses a lot of ink from a pen that doesn't hold a large capacity. I can forgive it that though. I'm happy enough to keep refilling it.

Thanks

Rather splendiferous indeed. Being woefully ignorant of them, and Sheaffers generally really, is it heavy?

As for ink capacity, is it only me who finds that pens may be woeful when you want to write with them, but it transpires that they actually hold several gallons of ink when you come to clean them...?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Rather splendiferous indeed. Being woefully ignorant of them, and Sheaffers generally really, is it heavy?

As for ink capacity, is it only me who finds that pens may be woeful when you want to write with them, but it transpires that they actually hold several gallons of ink when you come to clean them...?
    No it's not particularly heavy, and is actually quite a stubbish pen in the hand without it's cap posted. I suppose it's like most silver pens.

Yes, it seemed to run out of ink to write with, but seemed to have loads left when I cleaned it out. I had to buy an ear bulb from Amazon as I didn't bring my one with me. It still took ages even with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

It's incredibly pretty. I'm sure it's fun to use just to see it in your own hand.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde