Thread: Pilot Vanishing Poing

Thanks

Default Pilot Vanishing Point

My Vanishing Point 1.0mm stub arrived recently and thought I'd give my first impressions. After a solid 24 hours of working with this pen, things finally settled out nicely, but initially I was a bit nervous I had wasted my money! Using the cartridge that the pen comes with, and waiting about an hour for the ink to start flowing well enough to write, my first impressions were not positive at all. The ink flow was very slight with several sketchy skipping starts. I know this is an issue with italic / stub nibs, but I am accustomed to them, and holding the pen in a way that works with these nibs. The first hours working with this pen were not pleasant at all. The nib was fairly scratchy and nothing like I expected from an 18k gold tip. But the strangest thing happened about a day into this pen. The ink flow seemed to improve, the scratchiness vanished, and this pen is now becoming a beautiful writer. It was as if there was a coating or something on the nib that was interfering with the performance. After several hours of writing, that coating wore away and everything is golden. The one issue that most people raise with this pen is the placement of the clip. For me it wasn't an issue, and actually acts as a bit of a guide to keep my grip consistent. So far I am very pleased with this pen.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slurry; June 13th, 2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: type-o

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slurry For This Useful Post:

conib (November 5th, 2017), jodylud (June 13th, 2017), KrazyIvan (June 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Vanishing Poing

I ordered one of those, despite the warnings about them from Brian Goulet in his video, and found mine to be quite a disappointment. I took it with me to the Arkansas Pen Show and had Dan Smith work on it, and it's wonderful now. But then while at his table I saw the Platinum Lilias, and thought "oh, that's prettier than I thought it would be..." So I ended up with a nicely working Pilot VP and a nicely working Platinum Lilias.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (June 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Yeah the VP Nibs can be frustrating. I've found most do not write well without adjustment. I was able to buy my grail vp, the Faceted black stealth version that has Namiki on the clip. The nib was stubbed by Linda at Indy pen so it is amazingly smooth. I still need to buy an extra nib, either an 18 Ct fine or a 14 Ct extra fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisvan View Post
    Yeah the VP Nibs can be frustrating. I've found most do not write well without adjustment. I was able to buy my grail vp, the Faceted black stealth version that has Namiki on the clip. The nib was stubbed by Linda at Indy pen so it is amazingly smooth. I still need to buy an extra nib, either an 18 Ct fine or a 14 Ct extra fine.
    A picture of the faceted stealthy, pretty pretty please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

I love this pen with this nib, But at the time I have a bunch of new pens I had added to my collection. So I keep this in my wish-list otherwise I be boarded with my writing.