Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What keeps you excited about pens?

Thanks

Default What keeps you excited about pens?

I'm still a newbie but that keeps me excited about pens is the ink. There seems to be an endless amount of colors. It's mind blowing but exciting.

Thanks

Default Re: What keeps you excited about pens?

Ink and Nib and good paper (tied in 1st place).
    Comfortable pen (2nd place).
    Pretty or cool looking pen (3rd place).
    Cool design themes like pens inspired by trains, planes, and skyscrapers (added and ongoing pleasure).
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Currently it's trying different nibs, but inks are a constant wonder.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (June 23rd, 2017), Marsilius (June 23rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

I don't know about excited, but I've realized that I really like to write, like to write by hand, and that the different characteristics of fountain and dip pen nibs add an extra interest to the process.

Not so much inks, although I do enjoy the variety.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

As someone who has found it nearly impossible to match accessibility with reasonable (not bargain) prices, I have found myself stalled. It is unlikely that I'll go hunting again. Never say never I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it. I tried the custom idea, however that comes with extraordinary wait times for nice pens with bog standard nibs, pen models that are usually too short and/or don't post, absurd price hikes for minor changes to existing pens, and a degree of preciousness on the part of the makers that simply does not exist with the larger pen companies.

There's one, maybe two, pens that I could conceivably add to my pen case at the expense of selling others. Again though, buying with confidence is the biggest problem for me, as I have none left. Edit: unlike some I cannot afford to simply experiment with expensive pens.

Inks are interesting, and there are some stunning colours and behaviours available. And decent paper, journals and accessories, keep me writing.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I remain excited about fountain pens, because I love writing with them. I may never buy another pen, but I enjoy the textile feeling of writing each letter with a fountain pen that is lost with a ballpoint.
    "Love is the final fight."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (July 22nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Writing. Note taking, letter writing, writing in cards for special occasions. Anything to do with writing with my pens.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (July 22nd, 2017), fountainpenkid (June 23rd, 2017), sgtstretch (June 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Turning a broken/neglected/forgotten pen that someone can't wait to get rid of,
    into something that another person can't wait to receive and write with.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (June 26th, 2017), datainadequate (July 22nd, 2017), Deb (June 24th, 2017), jacksterp (July 2nd, 2017), pajaro (July 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Cool Re: What keeps you excited about pens?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Currently it's trying different nibs, but inks are a constant wonder.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    I remain excited about fountain pens, because I love writing with them. I may never buy another pen, but I enjoy the textile feeling of writing each letter with a fountain pen that is lost with a ballpoint.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Writing. Note taking, letter writing, writing in cards for special occasions. Anything to do with writing with my pens.
    +1

And... Calligraphy!!

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

The biggest thing for me is that I like writing with them. Even planning out a new class with a good fountain pen or two makes the task that much better. I just love words and diagrams on paper.

Aside from that, there is the joy of bringing an old pen back to life. And there is that materialistic search either for just the right pen or for the best expensive or cheap pen.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (July 22nd, 2017), inklord (June 25th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

I agree with Penwash. And with older pens the variety is limitless
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

penwash (June 24th, 2017)

Thanks

Looking at this thread in a different way, it relieves stress for me. Whether it is purchasing, looking at them or writing with them I tend to unwind. Admitted, the purchasing part can be stressful.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

penwash (June 24th, 2017)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Looking at this thread in a different way, it relieves stress for me. Whether it is purchasing, looking at them or writing with them I tend to unwind. Admitted, the purchasing part can be stressful.
    I agree. I find that writing writing with a fountain pen has a meditative quality, such as in practicing mindfulness with each pen stroke.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I'm still a newbie but that keeps me excited about pens is the ink. There seems to be an endless amount of colors. It's mind blowing but exciting.
    dto. And good paper.

Thanks

well, today I must be in the minority ..... reasons given so far for the 'excitement' seem to come from writers and lovers of ink and paper, but ............. I bet none of that emotion compares with the lust and passion of the collector
    Hunting for the rare and not so rare makes the heart beat quicker - the unexpected that might turn up - the depression when they don't - getting something for £5 that is worth £100 even though you know you won't sell.
    But that sort of passion isn't confined to pens, it runs through most of the interest that folk have for 'older' well made artefacts - the current rising prices on ebay etc., show how active collectors are, and although they occasionally 'write', mostly they shine and hoard.
    Could be that we collectors are the real engine house that drives this pursuit, sustains interest - the down side being that it's possibly us that drives up prices.

Some tongue in cheek in my words, but collector's 'excitement' does have a lot to answer for, I'm sure

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

amk (June 26th, 2017), Hawk (June 25th, 2017), inklord (June 25th, 2017), pajaro (July 19th, 2017), penwash (June 25th, 2017), Roger W. (June 26th, 2017), VertOlive (June 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    well, today I must be in the minority ..... reasons given so far for the 'excitement' seem to come from writers and lovers of ink and paper, but ............. I bet none of that emotion compares with the lust and passion of the collector
    Hunting for the rare and not so rare makes the heart beat quicker - the unexpected that might turn up - the depression when they don't - getting something for £5 that is worth £100 even though you know you won't sell.
    But that sort of passion isn't confined to pens, it runs through most of the interest that folk have for 'older' well made artefacts - the current rising prices on ebay etc., show how active collectors are, and although they occasionally 'write', mostly they shine and hoard.
    Could be that we collectors are the real engine house that drives this pursuit, sustains interest - the down side being that it's possibly us that drives up prices.

Some tongue in cheek in my words, but collector's 'excitement' does have a lot to answer for, I'm sure
    While I sincerely appreciate a collector's efforts - after all it offers guys like me many a peek into private museums of friends and acquaintances - I personally could never understand these accumulations. Oh, they do happen to me (I currently have over 20 pens) but the condition soon urges me to get rid of the surplus... glad you brought that in, though, almost got the feeling the pen collectors are currently in hiding on this forum!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    glad you brought that in, though, almost got the feeling the pen collectors are currently in hiding on this forum!
    Dirty little secret?! I honestly have no idea to what you are referring!

Thanks

the secret is not to count them - what you don't know can't make you feel embarrassed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Paul, I don't think you're in the minority at all.

And I never understand the "shame" of collecting fountain pens (or any other interesting historical artifacts for that matter). I collect vintage cameras before fountain pens and saw the same thing. Most people in that hobby seem to be embarrassed that they enjoy collecting the cameras more than using them to take photos. I happen to enjoy photographing as much as I enjoy collecting the cameras, but I never feel the need to apologize or being bashful for my camera collection.

Just as today I enjoy writing and sketching with fountain pens as much as I enjoy restoring and collecting them.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Certainly, as PaulS mentioned, there's the thrill of the hunt (I'm still happily on the trail of the elusive Sailor Black Velvet).

Additionally there is the occasional pleasure of commissioning a pen and collaborating in its design.

Finally, above all, I love writing to my pen pals and using all those pens and ink to do so.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine