Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inks you grew to love

Thanks

Default Inks you grew to love

Are there any inks you bought and hates at first because of any reason but ended up liking after a while?

Thanks

Default Re: Inks you grew to love

Rohrer&Klingner Dokumentus "Braun" (brown): a greenish grey ink that is absurdly wet and spreads even on Rhodia. Now it's my cure for dry, overly fine nibs!

Thanks

ESSRI was problematic when I first started using it. I can't recall how many times I'd fill a pen only to flush it a day or two later. It's now about the only ink I use.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

inklord (June 25th, 2017), SchaumburgSwan (September 27th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Almost anything green or brown was a "no" for a long time, but then I fell in love with the greens in the murky green family. And I really like reddish browns and toffee brown. I don't have many in my collection, but I suppose I got to like them because of the old Goulet Ink Drop (which I miss). Now I don't strike anything off my list.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Yes. Every single blue I bought and kept had to grow on me. I'm no fancier of blues but now I own bottles of 2 of the 4 I like. OS Blue Crab and DA Sherlock Holmes are still in my ink box.

The other 2 are OS Blue Merle and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts
    Last edited by VertOlive; June 24th, 2017 at 11:53 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

inklord (June 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Diamine Asa Blue - now permanently in my M805 Demo.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

KKay (August 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Yes. Every single blue I bought and kept had to grow on me. I'm no fancier of blues but now I own bottles of 2 of the 4 I like. OS Blue Crab and DA Sherlock Holmes are still in my ink box.

The other 2 are OS Blue Merle and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts
    It took a lot for me to love (or even appreciate) blue ink as well. Before taking up the fountain pen, I wrote only in black or red (for grading). The honest truth is that ballpoint blue smells funny and sent me on a bad flashback to high school. There are so many color choices with a fp, though, that it just seemed a waste to limit myself to black. I tried browns, but one day it occurred to me that both my penmanship AND ink choice made my writing look like poo. I tried greens, but I really needed to stay with something professional enough for professional academia. That limited my choices to blue or black. I love the smell of 54th Mass, but it bleeds like a stuck pig. Enter iron gall ink. Now I get both blue *and* black!
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Blue-Black inks were also a bleh >.< for me... until Bungbox 4B. It's been permanently installed in my MB Brahms.

The other one was Bungbox Aofuji. It was too light and watery the first time I wrote with it, but since it's been living in the Visconti Voyager, it's darkened quite a bit and is now one of my favorite blues.

I'm still much a no-go with most browns, with the exception being Bungbox Piano Mahogany. I tend to lean towards the red-browns, and this is definitely a red-brown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Waterman Florida Blue. I like very vibrant blue inks, and Florida Blue leans a bit too purple for my liking. Since I review a lot of pens, I decided I needed to standardize on ink to use. This would help my reviews by removing variables. Since then, the ink has grown on me. I'm down to my last bottle and will be buying its successor, Serenity Blue.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I personally don't. I have never purchased a full bottle without sampling it first. If I don't like the sample, I give it away to a pen friend. They don't get a chance to "grow on me". Seems harsh, but life is too short to use an ink we don't like and hope it will grow on us

Thanks

One of the first ink's I tried and one I always keep inked. That would be Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. It flows well, archival or as Noodler's puts it eternal, forger resistant, and I like the med-dark blue with a bit of teal color. It is fine for the office but has that little bit of difference from traditional blues and blacks. I have never had a problem with it in my piston pens, my main users, and it feeds a stub/feed combo well.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Blue-Black inks were also a bleh >.< for me... until Bungbox 4B. It's been permanently installed in my MB Brahms.

The other one was Bungbox Aofuji. It was too light and watery the first time I wrote with it, but since it's been living in the Visconti Voyager, it's darkened quite a bit and is now one of my favorite blues.

I'm still much a no-go with most browns, with the exception being Bungbox Piano Mahogany. I tend to lean towards the red-browns, and this is definitely a red-brown.
    Blue-black inks are still a bit of a meh to me, but I really like L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Equinox No.6.

I've never 'got' Bungbox 4B. I love the vase shaped bottle, but not the ink inside it.

Thanks

I have the opposite problem... I think I'll love an ink forever, but soon can't stand the sight of it.
    wasting time on tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LeFreak For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (September 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Years ago, the inks I liked the most were very saturated (PR, Noodler's) and in consequence, every Herbin ink I tried was a let down. Found them too watery and frankly boring. As I've moved away from fine nibs and have begun using broader ones, they now appeal to me, my favorites being Vert Empire, Bleu Pervenche and Poussière de lune.

Also, I don't give a rat's ass about permanence, so the "bulletproof" qualities of some inks are not a criteria.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I wouldn't say I hated it, but when I tried Pilot/Namiki Blue-Black -- also Blue, for that matter -- I was not impressed. That was about nine years ago.

Earlier this year, I became interested in finding a blue ink that matched a Pilot gel pen, realized I had a Pilot Blue cartridge, popped it in, and realized, This is it! THIS blue! Very cheerful, Indian Summer Sky Picnic Afternoon blue.

Meanwhile, I'd read threads about water-resistant blue-blacks. Pilot's was mentioned, and I remembered how much I didn't like it. But a couple of reviews in particular swayed me to give it another chance. I LOVE Pilot Blue-Black, particularly in my Pilot Falcon (SEF). LOVE it.

Otherwise, like LeFreak, I tend to "fall in love" with inks, only to lose interest after a while (Noodler's Zhivago, for instance) (also, Noodler's Walnut, but I'm keeping this bottle, cos my interest in brown inks comes and goes).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

gylyf (November 29th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Montblanc Toffee. When it was first released, I bought it because it seemed to be the replacement for their Bordeaux in the old bottle. Meh was my reaction, at first. But then I put it into a pen with a copperplate nib, and the writing it produced looked as though it was written a century ago, especially on vintage stationary and postcards. It's like sepia but with a subtle bit of red. I like it so much that I now keep a spare bottle of Toffee constantly on hand.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 12th, 2017 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks

Lamy Blue. My first ink, and I thought that the shade was terrible. After a while, I got back to it, because to me it is right on the verge between bright and dark. The color is very eye-catching, yet blue (so it doesn't raise eyebrows) and very readable. It has been my staple for last couple months. Great for taking notes, great for signing papers (I'm usually using it on cheap office paper with a fine nib).
    Last edited by stage15; August 15th, 2017 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks

Bungbox Clown Tears for me. When I first wrote with it I thought it was too pink (magenta / fuchsia perhaps). This was immediately after inking up the pen. After writing with it for a few days it seems to have darkened up to more of a dark red, which I like. Throw in the ridiculous amounts of sheen Sailor inks are generally known for and it's quickly become a favorite. I think it'll go back into a pen when one of the currently inked 3 runs out.

I can also go the opposite direction. I bought a sample of PR Avacado and loved it. I bought a whole bottle of it. As I used it more it became boring. The last time I inked a pen with it I wound up with dried up goobers in the feed and around the nib. I no longer love this ink. I have most of a bottle which needs to find a new home. This is also the case with Racing Green (Diamine's version made for Rolf @ missing-pen). I saw the sample, bought the bottle, was excited about it the first time I wrote with it, and have never put it into a pen again. In fact I just gave away the whole bottle to a co-worker who bought one of my pens.
    Last edited by Scooby921; August 17th, 2017 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks

I am fairly. new to this whole thing, so "grew" is not a very long past tense for me. The ink that has surprised me in this regard I am almost embarrassed to admit. It is Noodler's X-Feather. I mean, come on - that is just black! What gets me is how clean and black black black it is. It fascinates me. It goes on kind of shiny then as it dries it flattens to a dark-as-a-black-hole black. I like it most with its free Charlie pen (fine point). That embarrasses me too - that one of my favorite pens is a free eye dropper. What can I say? I am weird. Perhaps it is just a phase and I will grow out of it...

Thanks

I guess Pilot blue-black and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher both fit that description. I just had to find the right pen for these inks (Nemosine Singularity with EF nib). Chalkdust, you aren't alone with your enjoyment of the Charlie pen, I really like mine too!