Thread: Fair price?

Thanks

Default Fair price?

I hope this is OK. I am thinking about selling a few J's. But I don't see any in the marketplace and want to put a fair price on them for both the buyer and myself...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Default Re: Fair price?

It's kinda tricky, because the market ebbs and flows, but never by much. It *seems* that the going rate is good between $20-30 range; with some kind of fancy nib, you could ask more. The people who ask for the moon on eBay for a basic J setup don't sell that many.

I've got a bunch I've been meaning to sell, and I won't do it until you are done, but those are the ranges I'll shoot for - $20 for a very standard issue pen and nib, up to $30 for something a little more desireable. Any of the items that would go for more I'll be keeping at the moment. HTH
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thank you John. I am posting five and appreciate you consideration. Now...know anything about Vacumatics?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevekolt View Post
    Thank you John. I am posting five and appreciate you consideration. Now...know anything about Vacumatics?
    Not on your life!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I would guess the buyers would want them all restored freshly, etc., etc., etc. Too much work so I haven't gotten rid of mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I would guess the buyers would want them all restored freshly, etc., etc., etc. Too much work so I haven't gotten rid of mine.
    I prefer pens in an unrestored as found state.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I prefer pens in an unrestored as found state.
    As far as general public pen sales go, you are an outlier. That's not a bad thing.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Except for the Safari Touchdown-type fillers, I have already restored all mine. The last potential buyer wanted me to restore the pen he wanted again. These aren't worth enough to be bothered with restoring them again, there goes some more cost into a pen they will give you a hard time getting $25 for anyway.

Thanks

Except for the Safari Touchdown-type fillers, I have already restored all mine. The last potential buyer wanted me to restore the pen he wanted again. These aren't worth enough to be bothered with restoring them again, there goes some more cost into a pen they will give you a hard time getting $25 for anyway.
    Try and keep in mind that not everyone views it as a "bother". I don't do a lot of pens, and I certainly don't do it to make any kind of money, but I find the task of restoring pens - even simple sac replacements - to be enjoyable and relaxing. If I pick up a pile of Esties for next to nothing, get them sacced and cleaned up and sell them for a reasonable price, I'm happy. It isn't always a burden.

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Wade (July 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Try and keep in mind that not everyone views it as a "bother". I don't do a lot of pens, and I certainly don't do it to make any kind of money, but I find the task of restoring pens - even simple sac replacements - to be enjoyable and relaxing. If I pick up a pile of Esties for next to nothing, get them sacced and cleaned up and sell them for a reasonable price, I'm happy. It isn't always a burden.
    I find an individual restoration enjoyable, but forty-odd restorations are an expense and a goodly amount of work. Especially for pens never used since the last restoration.

Thanks

I find that I enjoy the work of restoring pens over the actual having them. The majority of what I get, I restore as best I can (and I'm always learning and expanding my skills), and then sell them. Repeat. Often. It's a fun little business I've gotten started.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gweimer1 View Post
    I find that I enjoy the work of restoring pens over the actual having them. The majority of what I get, I restore as best I can (and I'm always learning and expanding my skills), and then sell them. Repeat. Often. It's a fun little business I've gotten started.
    I agree. I've always found restoration a pleasure rather than a bother.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Feel free to contact me if anyone is getting rid of their Esterbrooks.. I think they are beautiful.

Thanks

About $40 (restored/new ink sac) at the Pen Show.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

What is the best way to sell 300 Restored Esterbrooks
    TOm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penfancier View Post
    What is the best way to sell 300 Restored Esterbrooks
    TOm
    As a group to make it as easy as possible. If you have a list I might be interested at wholesale pricing.

Thanks

Tom- I'd be interested in buying the Esterbrooks as a group. Feel free to send me a message or an email at JDWeiss427@gmail.com. Thanks, Jordan