Thread: Need help identifying

Thanks

Default Need help identifying

Does anyone have any ideas?? I am thinking it is an eye dropper from the late 1880s.. maybe yes??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Need help identifying

In the Max Davis and Gary Lehrer Waterman book, your pen resembles number 6 on page 17. They describe it as a "straight holder pen" and date it to circa 1883 to 1908.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Not exactly on topic, but I really like the copper tone pen holder in your pictures. What can you tell us about it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but I really like the copper tone pen holder in your pictures. What can you tell us about it?
    I got it at a pen show in Cambridge. The gentleman is in Scotland, but I don't recall his name. I am sure you can find it. It was about 15GBP or $20.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stickler For This Useful Post:

Robert (July 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    In the Max Davis and Gary Lehrer Waterman book, your pen resembles number 6 on page 17. They describe it as a "straight holder pen" and date it to circa 1883 to 1908.
    That is really informative.. thank you. I wish it had a stamp on it to make it easier to identify. Someone else thinks it is a No 2 Spoon Feeder.. but I thought it looked more like the 1884 patent. Just don't know.. I will look for the book!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    That is really informative.. thank you. I wish it had a stamp on it to make it easier to identify. Someone else thinks it is a No 2 Spoon Feeder.. but I thought it looked more like the 1884 patent. Just don't know.. I will look for the book!
    There are two 1884 Waterman patents, but they apply only to the ink-feeding system, so I'm not sure in what regard you mean that your pen looks like those patents. Note that the feed style itself is called a Spoon Feed by Waterman; your pen has that style feed, which dates it to the early 1900s (the model would not be called a "No. 2 Spoon Feeder"). The cap has either been repaired or it is from a different pen.

The Waterman book is a poor guide for accurate naming and dating information; it's hit-or-miss, with no citations, making the accuracy of any particular claim impossible to verify. I wouldn't rely on it too much.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton