Thread: Sailor Realo Disassembly

Thanks

Default Sailor Realo Disassembly

Has anyone ever attempted the disassembly of the Sailor Realo?

I have seen pictures of the disassembled piston online, but no comments regarding procedure or tools needed (if any).

Thank you,
    Last edited by Aurora; July 5th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 4th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Sailor Realo Disassembly

I've seen pictures too. They don't inspire me to attempt it. Lots of bits in there that look like they would easily break. Why would you want to dissamble that pen?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I've seen pictures too. They don't inspire me to attempt it. Lots of bits in there that look like they would easily break. Why would you want to dissamble that pen?
    Yes every disassembly comes with risks, but the reward is a greater appreciation of the inner workings of the pen.
    When I saw the exploded view of the piston mechanism, my reaction was the opposite of yours. I very much felt inspired.
    I also have a demonstrator Realo. Only a complete disassembly will allow a thorough cleanup.

Thanks

My understanding of them, from the pictures and various threads around the web, is that the ink window is part of the section and simply glued into the body. Pull hard enough and it comes apart. If you break anything it never goes back together. Regarding cleanup, with the nib and feed removed it's possible to get a small syringe through the feed hole at the base of the section and into the ink reservoir to force water across the piston and flush remaining ink from the pen. It worked well enough that I see no reason to completely disassemble the pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Regarding cleanup, with the nib and feed removed it's possible to get a small syringe through the feed hole at the base of the section and into the ink reservoir to force water across the piston and flush remaining ink from the pen. It worked well enough that I see no reason to completely disassemble the pen.
    On the demonstrator version of the Realo, you will notice that ink can make its way *past* the piston, where flushing with a syringe will not help.

At any rate, a disassembled pen offers a great opportunity for a thorough cleanup, but it is not my main interest. I realize that the number of people sharing this interest in the "mechanics" on the pen is small.

Thank you for your input.

Thanks

One can have an appreciation for the mechanics while also having an appreciation for the cost/value. There are a lot of folks who are interested in how things work, but very few who disassemble a perfectly good, working, expensive item just to see all the parts.

Thanks

There are a lot of folks who are interested in how things work, but very few who disassemble a perfectly good, working, expensive item just to see all the parts.
    My point exactly. That's why the post was directed to people who can share their experience with the disassembly.

Thanks

The ink window is part of the section and simply glued into the body. Pull hard enough and it comes apart. If you break anything it never goes back together.
    I believe you are correct regarding the Realo build, and would furthermore suspect that the correct method for safe disassembly would be to use warm water or similar medium to soften the glue joining the ink window and section - if such a task was really, and absolutely, necessary.