Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nib preference

Thanks

Default Re: Nib preference

I started out using a Sheaffer medium nibbed cartridge pen in grade school. I really disliked the Sheaffer fine. These days as I've played around with a bunch of admittedly cheap pens I fine myself leaning more toward the fine point. My Sheaffer Sagaris has a fine point I would call medium & I have a Pilot Metro with a stub nib I love. I do have a lovely Waterman 92a-V with a flex nib with is amazing, but I've still got a ways to go before I really understand how to use it properly.

Pax,
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

The only kind I don't like is blobby mediums.

By the way. I was considering a Pelikan 600 or 800 and have to opportunity to have the nib altered before receiving it. Question is whether this is a good idea to do or not. Typically I would have gone for an extra fine, but I am quite partial to small stubs. If I didn't like the pen would having the nib altered by an expert reduce the potential resale value?

Thanks

I was always for Medium nibs and only Black ink. That was me before and after about 20 years my mind recharged and had a lust and a liking to write.
    And I have found how to develop my writing and started writing to learn Cursive and Spenserian, In this process I understand that you should use a Fine nib pen and it is easy to understand your mistakes.
    So I have bought all the pens in Extra Fine and Fine. Bought Italics and coustom Cusive italic/ Cursive obeliques. They are wonderful and I prefer nibs that talks and toothy have slight feed back to make sound. I now don't like slippery soft nibs and I don't have any controll in them when i write. So Now I like all the colours of ink and I have a great selection of ink too. I have two or three M nibs and few Stubs nibs and I am trying make them to have a little feed back and am now a days learning how to make the nibs ruff
    Last edited by Cyril; October 24th, 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks

Being left-handed, the myth is that they should use a fine or x-fine nibs. I followed that advice when I began my fountain pen journey. Now I realize that there are a variety of nib choices I can use. I still use a fine nib in a variety of pens.

I have also enjoying using a stub nib and broad nib too. I think overall the best nib every day for me would be a medium. I definitely want to try both a Music nib and a Waverley nib.

There are two nibs that I cannot use a flex nib and a cursive italic.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

I use Medium and broad nibs. Stubs and one or two Double Broads. I need one needlepoint in my collection... As a left handed writer medium with a non eel lubricated in or slow dry Private Reserve ink. BunguBox Saaphire and eclat de saphir J Herbin are my safe inks along with Montblanc Toffee Brown .....a fine nib with baystate blue.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Silverbreeze (November 2nd, 2017)

Junior Member Northern Gentleman's Avatar
    Thanks

When I first succumbed to this hobby or way of life, I tended to choose fine nibs. Then I moved on to mediums stubs. For everyday writing, I like the slightly thicker line, with a little variation and some flex. One of thee days, though, I want to start practicing spencerian script - not sure where and when I would use it. There's just something indulgent about it - I like the "slow down, take time, make something beautiful" statement it makes. I'll have to read up on nibs for that.

Thanks

I am a left handed side writer that writes with fine or medium nibs. On older pens, I have been known to write with an extra fine.
    In my way of thinking, I have stayed away from stub, oblique, italic,flex and broad. I also do not have the patience to write with flex nibs because the nib is being pushed on the paper rather than pulled.
    I am interested to hear from other left handed writers to learn from them or tell me I’m paranoid. Most of my writing is jotting quick notes (phone messages etc.) therefore, I don’t spend the time to write neatly.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Silverbreeze (November 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I am a left handed side writer that writes with fine or medium nibs. On older pens, I have been known to write with an extra fine.
    In my way of thinking, I have stayed away from stub, oblique, italic,flex and broad. I also do not have the patience to write with flex nibs because the nib is being pushed on the paper rather than pulled.
    I am interested to hear from other left handed writers to learn from them or tell me I’m paranoid. Most of my writing is jotting quick notes (phone messages etc.) therefore, I don’t spend the time to write neatly.
    As a side writer I think you have the right idea for nibs for you

I am an underwriter lefty so can use more nibs decently

If you really want to explore wider nibs you may need adjusted nibs like nibs.com or Mr. Pen in the UK sells. Maybe try a Lamy lefty nib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Default Nib preference

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Gentleman View Post
    When I first succumbed to this hobby or way of life, I tended to choose fine nibs. Then I moved on to mediums stubs. For everyday writing, I like the slightly thicker line, with a little variation and some flex. One of thee days, though, I want to start practicing spencerian script - not sure where and when I would use it. There's just something indulgent about it - I like the "slow down, take time, make something beautiful" statement it makes. I'll have to read up on nibs for that.
    The funny thing is spencerian uses superflexy super fine nibs. Check nibs.com's page on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221