Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite alternative to tea?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Favourite alternative to tea?

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    In general or more specifically, what is your favourite alcoholic drink, if you have one?
    Ordinary real ale from the pump, not the strong stuff. I miss it a lot.

Fred

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Water. My favourite alternative to tea (and I only drink longjing green tea and pu'er tea). Used to like a glass of single malt back in the day, but I don't drink any alcohol now (and haven't for several years).
    Pu'er should keep you youthful and drive away melancholy thoughts...

I've found that being a pu erh enthusiast opens many gates and allows for some fun interactions.

You have to actually like/understand pu erh for it to work, but every tea shop/house I've been to that is worth its salt will sort of "test" you if you say you like pu-erh. If you pass, many hours of pu-erh fun ensues. I've had three different occasions where this scenario plays out and I end up sitting with a shop owner drinking very nice pu-erh for hours just chatting and laughing. They always want to show off their prized bricks. One fella, after about two hours of drinking and laughing, pulled out a brick from the basement that was given to him by his grandfather who got it in 1934 (supposedly). It was definitely an interesting tea, to be sure. He had a larger stock of it tucked away and decided he hadn't tried it recently and it merited testing out...just to be sure the brick was still aging well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    In general or more specifically, what is your favourite alcoholic drink, if you have one?

Fred
    Fred, I assume you are referring to cask ales like they have in England? If so, I wish we had that here stateside with wider availability. I find it from time to time, but it's never quite right. Also always some obscene abv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Fred, I assume you are referring to cask ales like they have in England? If so, I wish we had that here stateside with wider availability. I find it from time to time, but it's never quite right. Also always some obscene abv.
    I like dark and strong beer; should you try the Trappist beers from Rochefort, I am sure you will find they do not taste as strong as their labels suggest, although I do prefer their 6° (7.5%) in preference to either their 8° (9.2%) or their 10° (11.3%).

Thanks

I live quite near a place called the Hogs back brewery, they make excellent beers and even their own cider now.
    I am also fortunate enough to live near an award winning family run fish n chips restaurant that sells their beverages. It's all very quaint, I would also recommend the home made spotted dick with custard for pudding 😍

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

My favorite drink beside tea and coffee is milk.
    (I don´t drink alcohol, it never gave me something I wanted to have)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    I live quite near a place called the Hogs back brewery, they make excellent beers and even their own cider now.
    I am also fortunate enough to live near an award winning family run fish n chips restaurant that sells their beverages. It's all very quaint, I would also recommend the home made spotted dick with custard for pudding 😍
    I've had Hogsback! They're in (or near) Farnham, right? I lived in Hammersmith for a while and would take annual camping trips to the New Forest. Hogsback was always a favorite around the fire. Ex's sister lived in Farnham, actually. Really lovely area.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR
    I like dark and strong beer; should you try the Trappist beers from Rochefort, I am sure you will find they do not taste as strong as their labels suggest, although I do prefer their 6° (7.5%) in preference to either their 8° (9.2%) or their 10° (11.3%).
    Don't get me wrong, I love a good strong ale from time to time as well. Rochefort makes fantastic beers. It's less the intensity of the taste of alcohol, more the effect. As I've gotten older, beers over 7% go down smooth and fast. Faster than is...comfortable sometimes. Hahaha.

Thanks

As I've gotten older, beers over 7% go down smooth and fast. Faster than is...comfortable sometimes. Hahaha.
    Don't I just know. :-/ I never thought the term "session ale" would come to mean so much to me.

----I'm quite fond of good hoppy IPAs and the darker, amber-to-red ales, and consider myself lucky to live at a time when there are so many craft breweries in the U.S.; many of them in my region, the Midwest.

I like dry, full-bodied red wines, but am not enough of a connoisseur to name particular varieties and vintages. There are advantages to being easily amused.

And then the harder stuff. I appreciate the virtues of Scotch and Irish whisky, but to my taste, nothing beats bourbon and rye, both sipped straight and in some of the classic cocktails. Notably the Manhattan. Bliss.

Thanks

Cool Re: Favourite alternative to tea?

Bourbon is good...
    In other news, I had my first taste/half bottle of Southern Comfort in over 12 years this week;
    I seem to have very much overcome my past sensitivity to whiskies.

Thanks

Half bottle? Yep, I'd say you've overcome.

Southern Comfort, now that brings back memories.

Good ones, I hasten to add. Good ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.A. Stewart View Post
    As I've gotten older, beers over 7% go down smooth and fast. Faster than is...comfortable sometimes. Hahaha.
    Don't I just know. :-/ I never thought the term "session ale" would come to mean so much to me.

----I'm quite fond of good hoppy IPAs and the darker, amber-to-red ales, and consider myself lucky to live at a time when there are so many craft breweries in the U.S.; many of them in my region, the Midwest.

I like dry, full-bodied red wines, but am not enough of a connoisseur to name particular varieties and vintages. There are advantages to being easily amused.

And then the harder stuff. I appreciate the virtues of Scotch and Irish whisky, but to my taste, nothing beats bourbon and rye, both sipped straight and in some of the classic cocktails. Notably the Manhattan. Bliss.
    Agreed! When I do want a beer I'm quite happy to walk into the local grocery store and find an abundance of good beers from smaller breweries. I really enjoy Founders Dirty Bastard and Atwater Vanilla Java Porter. I'm also spoiled by my cousin at family gatherings. He's the master brewer at Elk Brewing in Grand Rapids, MI, and he likes to bring along various new brews for the rest of us to try.

Thanks

IMG_20170724_084248.jpg
    Dainty little thing...

Thanks

I've had Hogsback! They're in (or near) Farnham, right? I lived in Hammersmith for a while and would take annual camping trips to the New Forest. Hogsback was always a favorite around the fire. Ex's sister lived in Farnham, actually. Really lovely area.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR
    Don't get me wrong, I love a good strong ale from time to time as well. Rochefort makes fantastic beers. It's less the intensity of the taste of alcohol, more the effect. As I've gotten older, beers over 7% go down smooth and fast. Faster than is...comfortable sometimes. Hahaha.
    My father in law lives over that way too, had many a fun evening listening to bluegrass music in a time warp pub.

Thanks

Coffee.

I do cook with beer and wine, so I'll have an occasional sip. Room temperature Guinness is rather good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    Coffee.

I do cook with beer and wine, so I'll have an occasional sip. Room temperature Guinness is rather good.
    I often drink coffee first thing on getting into work, already ready from my flask but only one - cream and honey, please; but tea I can drink all day without feeling I need to love/fight someone if i drink too much!

When I worked in a pub, I would drink beer all day - interspersed with tea or coffee.

Thanks

Water. My favourite alternative to tea (and I only drink longjing green tea and pu'er tea). Used to like a glass of single malt back in the day, but I don't drink any alcohol now (and haven't for several years).
    During spring and summer I drink longjing (dragon well green tea) which I pre-order early March when the leaves are still on the tea trees but mostly it is sheng (raw pu'er) that I enjoy.
    My other writing instrument is a pencil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Pu'er should keep you youthful and drive away melancholy thoughts...

I've found that being a pu erh enthusiast opens many gates and allows for some fun interactions.

You have to actually like/understand pu erh for it to work, but every tea shop/house I've been to that is worth its salt will sort of "test" you if you say you like pu-erh. If you pass, many hours of pu-erh fun ensues. I've had three different occasions where this scenario plays out and I end up sitting with a shop owner drinking very nice pu-erh for hours just chatting and laughing. They always want to show off their prized bricks. One fella, after about two hours of drinking and laughing, pulled out a brick from the basement that was given to him by his grandfather who got it in 1934 (supposedly). It was definitely an interesting tea, to be sure. He had a larger stock of it tucked away and decided he hadn't tried it recently and it merited testing out...just to be sure the brick was still aging well.
    LOL I never realised how many pu'er tea drinkers existed in a fountain pens forum. Well, if any of you ever come to London please let me know in advance and we will go for a long session of pu'er tea drinking.
    My other writing instrument is a pencil.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 31st, 2017)

Thanks

I enjoyed a lovely bottle of Brooklands ale, at Brooklands race track today. Thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks

If any of y'all like white rum, especially the Brazilian speciality Cachaça,
    you would be well advised to try Leblon; it is the common wolf's genitalia.

Thanks

... you would be well advised to try Leblon; it is the common wolf's genitalia.
    Um ... whut? Is that a British expression that didn't make it into the Harry Potter books?