Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta - in trouble?

Thanks

Default Delta - in trouble?

I keep hearing little twitterings that Delta may be the next Italian Pen company in trouble. Does anyone know anything more?

Thanks

Default Re: Delta - in trouble?

No but I hope not, the two delta pens I have are beautiful writers, and very pretty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

youstruckgold (July 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I have heard this from many corners (pen shop owners) add to that the odd disappearance of several models including pretty new and well recieved models like the Delta The Journal which my retailers carried for a hot second. Would like to hear definitely but at this point the small signs are many and starting to add up. What I heard is that they have cash problems.

I was really tempted by that matte Journal pen. Still am.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Well, didn't they snub a bunch of Euro retailers by only selling through one retailer and at prices that undercut everyone else? On social media (Instagram) they snub users with Visconti in their username. The last two Delta's I purchased had mediocre nibs. Stuff I could fix on my own but not good in my opinion.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have found, in general, that Italian pen manufacturers (just like cars) seem to charge a hefty mark up their product putting them into a higher price bracket. This has been done by many Italian companies asking premium price for C/C pens with steel nibs... I'm honestly not surprised so many are having difficulty in the current market.

Don't get me wrong, they make beautiful pens, and the Dolce Vita was a real player on my list of pens I wanted... However, I ended up getting the Federico model due to the extreme prices they charge.

I hope they don't go anywhere, but sometimes you can price and market yourself out of business by being too fickle!
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I saw this posted by a trusted pen person (name redacted) and while it may only apply to a particular pen (in this case), the note definitely points to a shaky future. I don't have much hope, and see a similar fate as OMAS:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 10th, 2017), broadoblique (July 14th, 2017), pengeezer (August 1st, 2017), penultress (July 16th, 2017), Robert (July 12th, 2017), Rossler (August 7th, 2017), youstruckgold (July 12th, 2017)

Thanks

If the US Distributor is that uncertain based on an actual factory visit, that sounds like the end is imminent. I agree that a path similar to Omas sounds possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    I have found, in general, that Italian pen manufacturers (just like cars) seem to charge a hefty mark up their product putting them into a higher price bracket. This has been done by many Italian companies asking premium price for C/C pens with steel nibs... I'm honestly not surprised so many are having difficulty in the current mark!
    I do nog want to comment your points about pens, but I do not think it fit the reality very well with cars.
    If FCA is becoming a big car group at worldwide level, and has bought also Chrisler, I believe the business model used in cars seems to be not so faulty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fabri00 View Post
    ... but I do not think it fit the reality very well with cars.
    If FCA is becoming a big car group at worldwide level, and has bought also Chrisler, I believe the business model used in cars seems to be not so faulty.
    Top 6 Italian car manufacturers...
    Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia & Maserati...

What I'm saying is, Italian brands typically go for the high end or luxury market, sorry if my comment did not read this way.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

FrozenPen

FCA is hardly a company to be held up as an example of how to do business or build quality products. Chrysler is a shell of what they once were. See this article for some local insight: http://www.autoextremist.com/current...s-ticking.html

Thanks

The only Chrysler cars we've had this side of the pond have been absolute trash.
    I do currently own a fiat 500x and love it. It is a jeep underneath.

Thanks

Mercedes cars still suffer from the bad reputation for poor build quality and rust that they gained under the merger with Chrysler when they shifted most their production over to the USA to keep the unions and politicians there happy once it became apparent that Mercedes had effectively taken over Chrysler, rather than the opposite the US motor manufacturer had expected.

TBH I've always described my OMAS pens as being like Italian cars. Look superb, work really well, but at the back of your mind ... - I owned an Alfa 164 3L Lusso for about 4 years as well as a couple of Fiats, so I know what I'm talking about

TBH2, I've always felt Delta were overly expensive for what they were selling and the fusion nib left me moving in the opposite direction (I will probably regret not getting a Dolce Vita at some point).

Thanks

An Alfa Romeo with a V6 and manual gearbox is a wonderful thing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

inklord (July 16th, 2017), Rossler (August 7th, 2017)

Thanks

After the blatant lies Delta spread about their fusion nib, I'm actually almost glad to see them go...
    Last edited by inklord; July 16th, 2017 at 11:18 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Rossler (August 7th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm not happy to see any company gone, it does no matter from which country..... In particular in a small world like that one of fp.
    If only companies like Mont Blanc or Pelikan or Parker will be left in the market, our fun will be much less.
    I started to buy Omas 30 years ago when i was living in Bologna for the University, and still I consider my Omas among the best pens i own in my collection . And the first one is my extra lucens from 1936.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fabri00 For This Useful Post:

youstruckgold (July 16th, 2017)

Thanks

There appears to be a bit of vitriol for Delta here; and i'm not sure why. Generally, I have found Delta to be among the most accessible of the Italian brands; and their quality very good. Yes the fusion nib was an interesting marketing move; but then my fusion nibs are all an absolute pleasure to write with regardless of the hype.
    I still go to the school of "more companies = more competition = more pressure for greater innovation and quality"; so any reduction in the number of manufacturers is a sad thing (and sad also for its employees and their families).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to youstruckgold For This Useful Post:

rvthof (July 17th, 2017)

Thanks

I have found their pens to be excellent writers, I haven't tried a fusion nib though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

youstruckgold (July 18th, 2017)

Thanks

I am sorry, but I am a stickler for corporate ethics, and that puts all of the remaining Italian makers with the possible exception of Aurora in the same dark corner where Montblanc and, alas, also Pelikan dwell. It is indeed sad to see these venerable makers go, and even sadder to see the workplaces disappear, but they have been dead to me for a while...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 17th, 2017), Rossler (August 7th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    I am sorry, but I am a stickler for corporate ethics, and that puts all of the remaining Italian makers with the possible exception of Aurora in the same dark corner where Montblanc and, alas, also Pelikan dwell. It is indeed sad to see these venerable makers go, and even sadder to see the workplaces disappear, but they have been dead to me for a while...
    LOL

Sorry but "Corporate ethics" (whatever that is) does not extend to advertising copy. And while I found Delta's marketing of the "Fusion Nib" funny and silly it could only arise to the level of dishonesty among the truly gullible and willfully ignorant.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

broadoblique (July 17th, 2017), youstruckgold (July 18th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    LOL

Sorry but "Corporate ethics" (whatever that is) does not extend to advertising copy. ....
    Why not? There are all sorts of harmful deceits that could be perpetrated on consumers were it not for some ethical standards either being self-imposed or imposed by law.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (July 17th, 2017)