Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was there a time in Parker's history where the Centennials were same size as Inters ?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,472 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Re: Was there a time in Parker's history where the Centennials were same size as Inte

Centennial is longer and wider girth than International. So if mine is 13.6cm and yours is 13.1cm, I don't see how they can be the same pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Was there a time in Parker's history where the Centennials were same size as Inte

Correct. The Centennial was just slightly wider and slightly longer than the Internationals. The Waterman Man 100 & 200 presented a similar challenge; visually they looked identical (with a possible exception of the feeds) and so unless there was a scale in the pictures they were often misidentified.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    There are 4 variations of this pen

The larger Centennial Pen closed measures 137mm

There are also long and short cap clip versions of the larger version. ( photograph attached - the top two )

Personally I think your pen is a Centennial
    lowks

I asked someone this evening who would know the answer.

He has corrected me.

There are only 2 variations of this fountain pen, both measure 137mm.

The other 2 variations are of the ballpoint pen.

Sorry

Your pen is International.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to proteus For This Useful Post:

lowks (July 29th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Was there a time in Parker's history where the Centennials were same size as Inters ?

Thanks everyone for the answers

Thanks

Anyway as an update to this thread is the pen retailer saw my video online and has reached out to me to make amends by offering me a Centennial or equivalent (?) - of course the video has to be taken down after that. I will keep this thread updated on the progress.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    There are two sizes of this Centennial pen.
    The one your arrow is pointing to is the Demi. The top is the Duofold Centennial, next is the Duofold International and your arrow points to the Duofold Demi.

But the Centennial is only the top pen.
    No offense, Jar, but that is not true. The pen to which the arrow points in that picture is the International size Duofold. The Demi was not introduced into the Duofold line until 2008. The marble green, marble blue (in the picture to which you referred), and the marble burgundy (also referred to as red marble and maroon marble) as well as the black, Special Edition Orange, and Special Edition Pearl and Black -- all of which I own -- (in addition to the 1980's Special Edition Sterling Silver and Special Edition Gold) did not come in a Demi size but rather Centennial and International sizes only.

In the picture to which you referred (accessible at https://parkerpens.net/centennial.html, which provides additional pictures of Duofolds from the 1980's to the present as well as a nice discussion of their history), the first two fountain pens, which appear to be the same size, are both Duofold Centennials. The difference between them is the gold rings on the cap and on the body. The first to be released had flat rings -- flat bands -- and the later version had rounded rings -- rounded bands. Except for my cap-actuated (push top) pen and pencil set (also included in that same picture), the rings on all my Duofolds are rounded (I am not a fan of the flat bands and, thus, I only purchased a marble burgundy cap-actuated pen and pencil set with flat bands); the cap-actuated pen and pencil set was only made with flat bands.

The International fountain pen for the 1980's Duofold (for example the pictured blue marble) is the same size as the Duofold rollerball pen; this is displayed in the posted picture and I can add real-life pictures of my Duofolds if necessary.

In regard to the nibs of the green marble Duofold (1980's series) and the black Duofold (1990's series -- two same-size rounded bands on the cap) for which a picture was posted, the nib on the black Duofold is not original as that nib is a 1980's nib; the nib for the 1980's Duofolds (both Centennial and Internation) had an arrow on the nib with "PARKER" written below that. The nib for the 1990's Duofold fountain pens (both Centennial and International) had a ribbon on the nib with the word Duofold, not the Parker arrow.
    Last edited by elysee; August 24th, 2017 at 02:10 PM.