Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best inks for vintage pens (Parker, Esterbrook & Sheaffer especially)

Thanks

Default Re: Best inks for vintage pens (Parker, Esterbrook & Sheaffer especially)

I've only used the tried and true ink brands mentioned in the posts above in my vintage pens with good results. I only use so-called "boutique" inks such as Private Reserve and any specialty (J. Herbin 1670's) or pigmented ink in moderate to low priced modern pens. I use Diamine and the standard J. Herbin's when I'm looking for more colorful inks in vintage pens.

Thanks

Default Re: Best inks for vintage pens (Parker, Esterbrook & Sheaffer especially)

Thank you all, I'm brand new to the forum (and to these wonderful vintage fountain pens) and this information on inks to start with is very helpful!

Thanks

Having started out with Pelikan ink, I read some good reviews for Waterman and found a good deal on Amazon. Waterman is all I use in the Esterbrook restorations.

Thanks

A Parker 51 aerometric will write with nearly any ink. No, not the shimmers or anything else that wants to put tiny bits of glitter through the filling system and nib, but any other fountain pen ink.

Esterbrook and the old Sheaffers use a rubber sac. Unless you have someone replace the sac with an indestructible material, it's probably better to go with Quink, Skrip, Waterman, MB, Lamy, or Diamine. Maybe the concentrated inks are OK in the Esterbrook, since you or I or almost anyone can replace the sac in an Estie. The Sheaffer plunger-fills and Snorkels require some work.

Thanks

Hi,

nearly all of my pens have rubber sacs and 14K nibs (Mabie Todd Swan mostly).
    These are ideal for IG inks, with ESSRI being my favourite.
    Diamine Registrars, Akkerman #10 or Platinum Classic inks (if you don't want blue-black) are great, too.
    They work fine with any other modern inks, except some red or grape colored ones that make the sac soft.

Best
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 21st, 2020), Yazeh (January 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seattlec257 View Post
    Thank you all, I'm brand new to the forum (and to these wonderful vintage fountain pens) and this information on inks to start with is very helpful!
    Great! Welcome here.

Best wishes
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

I have restored 12 or so Esterbrook pens. After reading a positive review, I've chosen Waterman ink. This ink performs very well in a variety of nibs. I use the black and purple.

Thanks

Thank you all for this sharing of information. I just acquired (today) my very first Parker Vacumatic, and have been debating with the different inks....have both Quink Blue/black and Waterman (several colours). After following this thread, I'll use Waterman blue (as my conservative choice).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwgtaylor View Post
    I find waterman inks to be the safest inks. They perform well, clean easily and have great colours to boot. If I could have just one brand of ink, this would be it. It's the best. Period. Or even exclamation point. Yes. The best.

-Gerald
    Richard Binder seems to agree with you on his website. He also warns against Japanese inks in vintage pens; apparently they're more acidic than other inks, and I think he specifically mentioned one of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    He also warns against Japanese inks in vintage pens; apparently they're more acidic than other inks, and I think he specifically mentioned one of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks.
    Alkaline

(Literally every time this topic comes up this correction has to be made. I genuinely wonder why.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

SchaumburgSwan (February 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Shorter word.
    When was the last time you heard "alkaline" in a conversation?
    Heckofa outfielder though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Heckofa outfielder though.
    Ha!