Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterman taperite questions

Thanks

Default Waterman taperite questions

I bought this pen for what I thought was a good deal, the seller claimed it was new old stock and never been used. It was so beautiful when I received it and it really didn't look like it ever had been used but the sac must have been deteriorated because it would not hold water. So I tried using a blow dryer to loosen the section, and I know I shouldn't have but man I wanted to use this pen. This caused the barrel to shrink around the section, which you can somewhat tell in the picture. I sent the pen off to my repairman and he returned it saying he was afraid he would break it due to the shrinkage. Now I have this pen that I can do nothing with. Anybody in the community have ideas? I would love to possibly remove the barrel and even get a new barrel if necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman taperite questions

I have smoked holes in the barrels of two Waterman pens by using too much heat. I have drawn the conclusion, perhaps erroneous, that these Waterman barrels are easy to ruin, and you should be extra cautions with them. You know though, if you are regarding this pen as hopeless, why not use cautious application of heat to unstick the section for restoration? Then, after restoring, possibly try a little cautious application of heat from a hair dryer to the barrel, to see if the shape will come back. Or not, because I think it's risky. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with more experience.

My pen like this is gray, and the section fits in snugly, but can we worked loose by hand. It is a good writer.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Well, from my limited experience, you've got one of the riskiest pens to work on that I know of.

Even if you had not shrunk the barrel (which complicates the matter), these are a huge pain. The main problem is that some manner of adhesive was used for the sections, or at least was used in many situations. It does NOT release with heat like shellac would. I have had a total of four of these over the years: one section removed easily and I restored it, two had parts of the barrel break off, still attached to the section and not fixable, and one so brittle that the barrel crushed in my hand as I was trying to pull the section. That last one was with a pen that I took more than a week of gentle action, hoping patience and not forcing the issue would help, only to have the pen disintegrate. I gave up on all Taperites at that point, and many repair people won't work on them.

1 for 4 is a terrible record and I really can't offer any tips, as there was no reproducible manner that made this work. Spend some time searching the web for any possible positive tips, and maybe write to a repair person or two on the hopes you might find someone to work on it. Just a tough pen to try to bring back to life, I'm afraid.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 22nd, 2017), pajaro (July 22nd, 2017)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two of these. One is Canadian and came apart easily. The US pen shattered. As others said, it was glued, and the piece of the section that goes inside the barrel was oddly shaped. I honestly don't know how I could have opened it without breaking it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

pajaro (July 22nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

The part of the section that goes into the barrel is grooved, the better to hold whatever adhesive is applied. In my experience though the Canadian and English ones can be a little difficult they generally come apart without damage. From what others have said it seems to be the US ones that are glued with something impossible to remove. It's a pity because Taperites are great pens and some of them show a degree of flexibility.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

pajaro (July 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    The part of the section that goes into the barrel is grooved, the better to hold whatever adhesive is applied. In my experience though the Canadian and English ones can be a little difficult they generally come apart without damage. From what others have said it seems to be the US ones that are glued with something impossible to remove. It's a pity because Taperites are great pens and some of them show a degree of flexibility.
    Dang, that's true - the one Taperite that I successfully restored was a Canadian model!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

That's a lot of useful information. It appears there's no point in applying heat, because it will shrink Taperite plastic, and what is possible with Lucite (Parker 51), reheating distortions to make them resume original shape, will not work here. Perhaps the OP should just try buying a restored pen. I didn't pay much for the one I bought.

I have some items that are just collectibles and not functioning pens, because they can't be fixed due to unavailability of parts or lack of skill. Sometimes the pen has resisted repair. From some disasters I have gleaned spare parts, like flexible 14K nibs to put into Waterman Laureats that had corroded steel nibs (gold plated).
    Last edited by pajaro; July 22nd, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    I bought this pen for what I thought was a good deal, the seller claimed it was new old stock and never been used. It was so beautiful when I received it and it really didn't look like it ever had been used but the sac must have been deteriorated because it would not hold water. So I tried using a blow dryer to loosen the section, and I know I shouldn't have but man I wanted to use this pen. This caused the barrel to shrink around the section, which you can somewhat tell in the picture. I sent the pen off to my repairman and he returned it saying he was afraid he would break it due to the shrinkage. Now I have this pen that I can do nothing with. Anybody in the community have ideas? I would love to possibly remove the barrel and even get a new barrel if necessary.

When you "water tested" the sac, was there any sign of ink? If so, the ink could be contributing to the adhesive action between the section and the barrel. Soaking the pen in water, maybe over night should help, or better yet, use an ultrasonic cleaner multiple times if you have one. Try reheating being careful to not overheat the "sunk in" area. Heat multiple times and gently attempt to twist the barrel from the section each time. I think it will eventually start to loosen.
    If you're successful, you can remove the dried sac debris from the barrel. If you have "gage pins" (pins sized every .001 of an inch), or using the blunt end of drill bits, try warming the open (damaged) end of the barrel and gently inserting the pins, larger as you go, until you have brought it up to size. With a little buffing, you may have it looking as good as new! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcburgin For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (July 23rd, 2017), pajaro (July 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner, but I will try soaking. One of the posts above this suggested that heat will not do anything to help release the adhesive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcburgin View Post
    Try reheating being careful to not overheat the "sunk in" area. Heat multiple times and gently attempt to twist the barrel from the section each time. I think it will eventually start to loosen.
    That makes sense with most pens. However, at least for the Tapes that were made in the US, the adhesive used does NOT respond to heat. It is not like a shellac, but more like a glue that has bonded two pieces of plastic together. A very frustrating task.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Does anyone know if there is a solvent for the adhesive that won't damage the pen's plastic? Water? Alcohol?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a solvent for the adhesive that won't damage the pen's plastic? Water? Alcohol?
    I'm not certain that is the right diagnosis. From my experience it isn't as much an adhesive as it is a bonding agent, in the way that epoxies are. I believe some of the plastic gets melted in the process and bonds, and that isn't the kind of bonding that can be dissolved. Think of how many of the chemical bonding agents do their work by 'melting' surrounding material and then hardening up.

I could be very wrong, but this ain't glue. It is all compounded by the unfortunate reality that the plastic is very thin and brittle, as well. BTW, I have pieces from the broken pens where I can see the chunks of section and barrel fused, and you can't get them apart.

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (July 23rd, 2017), pajaro (July 23rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Raises hand 🖐️. I shattered mine.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I'm sorry to say, I actually saved that photo of yours.

The Taperite pens hold my personal record for shortest amount of time to destruction: I actually got one in the mail, took it out of the box and decided to wiggle the section. Not as in force it, but just see if there was any looseness at all. In under 30 seconds after opening the box, I had two pieces in my hand where one had started. I simply stared in disbelief.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I'm sorry to say, I actually saved that photo of yours.

The Taperite pens hold my personal record for shortest amount of time to destruction: I actually got one in the mail, took it out of the box and decided to wiggle the section. Not as in force it, but just see if there was any looseness at all. In under 30 seconds after opening the box, I had two pieces in my hand where one had started. I simply stared in disbelief.
    In an odd way, I actually feel honored that you would save my picture. I think you may have a record that is not just personal.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

I have to wonder why Waterman would use the adhesive they did use on the US pens. They had to know the section would have to come apart from the barrel to resac the pen. Or were these pens seen as disposable?

Thanks

I have one of these, and while it is a lovely pen, the sac lasted exactly 2 loads of ink before it began glorping....
    I keep it as a collectible until I find the time and patience
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I have to wonder why Waterman would use the adhesive they did use on the US pens. They had to know the section would have to come apart from the barrel to resac the pen. Or were these pens seen as disposable?
    I believe they started using adhesive on pens because they decided to work with looser tolerances to save cost. It's cheaper to use glue than to make an exactly right friction fit. Perhaps they and their repairers had a method of getting those pens apart for servicing.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Lavabo inter innocentes manus meas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner, but I will try soaking. One of the posts above this suggested that heat will not do anything to help release the adhesive.

I'm hoping the adhesive is, as I've found in times past, just a surface type adhesive. In other words, it doesn't soften the surface like MEK does to a number of modern composite materials, or like PVC Cement does to PVC pipe. That said, you have a great looking pen and taking the slow gentle approach will be required when applying heat. Concentrate the heat as much as possible on just the area of the barrel that's engaged with the section. Once you've warmed that area, quickly grip it with rubber lined plier, or (less desirable) roll it between two pieces of clean soft pine wood. As you warm the barrel, it expands and the section stays the same size. Using the rubber lined piers, keep gripping and rotating barrel until it cools. Continue the heating and gripping process checking frequently to see if the section has loosened. If section starts to pick up heat, which you'll be able to feal, stop and let it cool. I have done this process sometimes for an hour more, so determination is needed. The heat IMHO loosens the "grip" of the adhesive. The adhesives that I've found are "hard" and the repeated gentle "squeeze" of the plier tends to break it down. I hope this helps save your nice pen!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rcburgin For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (July 24th, 2017)