Thread: Nib width vs flow, and effect on line

Thanks

Default Nib width vs flow, and effect on line

Hi all,

I am new to fountain pens.

I recently filled a brand new TWSBI Mini (F nib) with J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune - I liked the color but thought the line produced was quite fine/narrow.

Looking for a wider/bolder result (and not having a M TWSBI nib to try yet) I filled a Lamy Safari (F nib) with the same ink - as expected based on previous experience with the pen the line was noticeably wider - BUT the color was also noticeably more washed out/dilute/wimpy looking.

Is this because the Lamy's flow, while wider, is "drier"?

Is this exacerbated by the fact that the J. Herbin ink itself is relatively unsaturated (compared to something like one of the bolder Noodler's colors)?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: Nib width vs flow, and effect on line

My Lamy does have drier flow than some of my other pens. And the more ink that gets put out the more dramatic the color. I use almost exclusively stub, broad, or flex nibs because I love shading and real depth in my ink.

But the Lamy could also have had a bit of water in the converter perhaps? If you flushed it out prior to inking it up?
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Default Re: Nib width vs flow, and effect on line

You're right, I did flush out the Lamy just prior to inking it.

I filled a dry, empty cartridge with a syringe - I tried to wick as much water from the nib/feed section as I could with a paper towel, but perhaps some remained...?