Thread: Rare vintage red mottled French ROOL's fountain pen. 14K nib. Early 1920's

Thanks

Default Rare vintage red mottled French ROOL's fountain pen. 14K nib. Early 1920's

It becomes more and more difficult to find old red and black mottled hard rubber or ebonite pens these day's. Pens from the 1920's are rare and when you find one of the well known brands in a good shape they are most of the time very expensive or even overpriced. Sometimes one finds a nice looking or restorable pen in red ripple or red mottled HR but often then there is no brand at all, or some brand that is not or barely documented. But even a brandless or unknown small brand can be very nice in appearance and quality!

The 'ROOL'S' pen I offered is such a pen. It was more or less a wreck when I bought it. No clip, no nib, defective j spring for the lever filler and very, very dirty. In short: a nice restauration project.
    Under al the dirt appeared a beautiful old red mottled little pen. And it had a brand. On the cap, which is quite unusual for this type of pens. Normally you see branding on the cap only with old German pens.

So I tried some Google... Bingo: 1st I found a post on the site of our beloved colleagues of the FPN:
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...cation-please/
    It did give me much more information, but at least it proved the brand actually existed.
    Secondly I found an ad. on e-bay which is a perfect reference thanks to the nice pictures and good description of the seller. So, (only for reference, because that pen is already sold) see this ad on e-bay, especially the picture with the name/logo:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-R...p2047675.l2557
    This all matches with the fact that the antique seller I bought my pen from gets most of his stuff from Belgium and North of France.

I did some work on my ROOL's pen. I found a French style steel clip in my repair stock (steel, because the lever is steel also).
    Polished the cap and body, that surprisingly showed barely any user damage.
    Mounted a used j bar that fitted the barrel and a new, silicone, ink sac.
    Finally I placed a nice old little 14K nib from my repair stock. USA made, I could not find a French one as these are extremely difficult to find.
    Finally I tested it, and voila: a nice vintage 1920's rare French red mottled HR fountain pen was reborn.

Specifications:
    Brand: ROOL's (almost certainly made in France, see references above)
    Material: Barrel and cap are made of beautiful coral red and black mottled ebonite.
    Section, feeder, and screwed-on top cap are made of black ebonite.
    Clip and cap band are made of iron/steel.
    Nib: 14K gold. F to M, some flex, this is usual for nibs from that time.
    Filling system: Lever filler with a new silicone ink sac.
    Length capped: 115mm
    Posted: 142mm
    Without cap: 104mm
    Width over barrel: 10mm
    Over cap:12,1mm

Asking US$ 75,-- only for this remarkable vintage pen.

Shipping is us $ 10,-- for unregistered no tracking standard priority lettermail, worldwide, or us$ 20, for registered mail, incl. track&trace
    (Sorry, shipping charges have gone up like crazy!)

When interested, please click HERE, to send me an e-mail.
    Payment by PAYPAL only.

Please see the pictures, thanks for viewing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lexaf; July 26th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Rare vintage red mottled French ROOL's fountain pen. 14K nib. Early 1920's

On Hold