Thread: 1950's 146 trial

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default 1950's 146 trial

I'm not sure if anyone else thinks these are a thing on this scale (FPN has good record of people passing around TWSBIs and Esterbrooks around to newbies, of course). But I'll continue anyway. I've been working on a thorough comparison of 3 notable 1950s German pens--the Pelikan 400, Soennecken 111, and Montblanc 14X--and have an example of each one I've been working with. My Soennecken is the normal-sized "Superior" model, while the Montblanc is a 142 in grey stripe. The more I write with each of these pens side-by-side, the more I realize how much more valuable this would all be if I had a comparably-sized Montblanc in the mix. I am in no position, however, to shell out what seems to be at least $600 for a 146 (the 142, an excellent deal at $350, was still a stretch.) If anyone would be interested in sending me their example for a few weeks (3 at most), I would be so grateful. If it makes this any more likely, I'm willing to send $200 as insurance before the pen ships. ( to be refunded once the pen is back with the owner). If you're up for this, or know someone who might be, shoot me an email at wplatt@conncoll.edu
    To be clear, I am NOT interested in any post-telescopic piston model.

Thanks!
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; July 31st, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 1st, 2017), Lady Onogaro (November 12th, 2017), lsmith42 (July 31st, 2017), pajaro (August 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: 1950's 146 trial

It should be assumed, but yes, I will of course pay shipping both ways.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Will

Thanks

An update: while I just about gave up on the triple-comparison idea, I thought I'd give it one more try. I currently own a 1950's OMAS 557/F in black**--lovely pen of comparable size and interest to a '50s 146. If anyone would be interested in a temporary swap (my OMAS for your 146), let me know. I would be psyched if I could get this to happen. I'd even consider throwing in my Torelli-modified Parker "51" Flighter if that would make this any more likely.

**the pen is currently listed for sale in the classifieds here. I would obviously de-list it as soon as such temporary swap arrangement were made.

Oh, and, if you have all 3 of these pens and like to write reviews...what have you been waiting for? It is a comparison that should have happened ages ago.
    Will

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I only wish I had the particular pen you want, I would have let you borrow it. Sadly, my Montblancs aren't old enough.

I hope someone has one and they see the value of this comparison that you are trying to do. Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (November 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I have a 50s 146, I think. If I can get it to you, I will be happy to share it for a bit. It might not be in perfect shape, but it has a smooth nib and writes beautifully. You can PM me, if you like. The nib is marked B but feels like a stub.
    Also, newbie enough to not know what you mean by post-telescopic, but I know I need to wind my piston all the way up and then back again to make it do its job, so it seems more complicated than later model pistons I have.
    Fortibus es in ero

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 13th, 2017), fountainpenkid (November 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    I have a 50s 146, I think. If I can get it to you, I will be happy to share it for a bit. It might not be in perfect shape, but it has a smooth nib and writes beautifully. You can PM me, if you like. The nib is marked B but feels like a stub.
    Also, newbie enough to not know what you mean by post-telescopic, but I know I need to wind my piston all the way up and then back again to make it do its job, so it seems more complicated than later model pistons I have.
    p.m sent!
    Will

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    The normal MB "B" nib is very stub like.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (November 12th, 2017), Marsilius (November 12th, 2017)