Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you gotten back to?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Default What have you gotten back to?

Although I suppose "to what have you returned?" might sound classier.

I've been meaning to get back to playing in chess tournaments for some time. In June of this year, I finally played in one again, and then last month I traveled to Minnesota (from Connecticut) for the U.S. Senior Open. I've sent in my entry for a tournament in my own state for September, and have my eye on one in New Jersey for October. After that, well, let me not get ahead of myself. But there is also a local club.

I hadn't played in a tournament since June of 2004, although I had played some online chess. Responsibilities at work and in my personal life meant that something always came up, and for a while there I'd lost my zest for the game. But I have a little more time now, and I'm using it to get back to something I love doing. The Senior Open is for fifty and older; I've finally gotten to it at age sixty. I didn't do too badly, four wins a loss and a draw, and even won a little money (less than my expenses), but my play is very rusty. But that's not what's important.

At thirteen years, I thought I'd been away for a long time, but I was talking to another player there who had been away from chess for thirty-one years. He appeared to be in his mid seventies to early eighties.

There are other things I could say, but this is a specialized interest, and I don't mean this to be about nothing but chess. More generally, though, what enthusiasms have people returned to after many years? Have you taken up painting again, or music? Have you resumed work on your novel, or decided that you were finally going to learn fancy cookery?

More of a middle-aged to old person question, but I can imagine people putting something away in their childhoods, and then taking it up again in their twenties.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Default Re: What have you gotten back to?

From a very long period of burn-out, I've gotten back to writing fiction. Even when I paint myself into a corner, it's fun, like a puzzle. For now, this is a fan fic, but then I have some short, linked stories to work on.

Continued success and fun at chess, K!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (August 18th, 2017), ethernautrix (August 4th, 2017), R.A. Stewart (August 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Although I suppose "to what have you returned?" might sound classier.

I've been meaning to get back to playing in chess tournaments for some time. In June of this year, I finally played in one again, and then last month I traveled to Minnesota (from Connecticut) for the U.S. Senior Open. I've sent in my entry for a tournament in my own state for September, and have my eye on one in New Jersey for October. After that, well, let me not get ahead of myself. But there is also a local club.

I hadn't played in a tournament since June of 2004, although I had played some online chess. Responsibilities at work and in my personal life meant that something always came up, and for a while there I'd lost my zest for the game. But I have a little more time now, and I'm using it to get back to something I love doing. The Senior Open is for fifty and older; I've finally gotten to it at age sixty. I didn't do too badly, four wins a loss and a draw, and even won a little money (less than my expenses), but my play is very rusty. But that's not what's important.
    That is one heck of a comeback after not playing for a long while. Chess is something that I've never get past the mediocre level

And what a thought provoking question. I guess I can say I've gone back to sketching...? I've always enjoy sketching in my youth, but careers and others prevented me from it, now that I collect fountain pens, it's a good excuse to use them and to keep challenging myself. When I sketch something, I get to relax, in a good way, not in the lazy way, and I can at least for a time get away from the pressure of running a business.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

R.A. Stewart (August 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

In the 1990s I had to give up photography. I was caring for my mother who was stricken with Parkinson's and dementia. I finally found a good nurse to stay with Mom during the day while I was at work. This nurse was really good at her job, but had a problem with strong chemical odors. A whiff of gasoline, or bleach, or mint, or perfume and she would faint. The sulfur dioxide from photographic fixer would have her in a heap in a moment. I put the darkroom away rather than lose her.

I now have a good digital camera. but it just ain't the same. I like to work in the darkroom, dodging and burning and watching an image come up like magic from a blank sheet of white paper. I am dusting off the enlarger and lenses and have ordered bulk supplies. I am still trying to find a good timer.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (August 4th, 2017), Hawk (August 3rd, 2017), Kaputnik (August 1st, 2017), R.A. Stewart (August 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

When my wife and a couple of our kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I realized that all I really wanted was for as many of them as chose to, to go in on getting our piano tuned. (After an embarrassing number of years of neglect.) Well, the tuner came out on Monday. Last night before getting ready for bed I brought up some of my music books and stumbled through the first couple of pages of "Clair de Lune." Youngest daughter and I may do a couple of duets.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (August 18th, 2017), inklord (August 3rd, 2017), penwash (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Taijiqian (practicing the Yang style Tai Chi sword form)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I went back to watercolouring. I am doing it more seriously than I ever did before.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (August 18th, 2017), penwash (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Dungeons & Dragons. I played as a youth in the 1970s and 80s. Played it a bit in grad school, but then didn't have a group. Got married, had a kid...... My wife has been interested for a while having seen her brother play in their youths but never participating. Now that the young'un is 10 we cobbled together a group of her friends and got them started. They have been at it for over a year now and are very, very into it. Lots of writing is involved (or, I should say, can be involved). They take notes at the table on the story/adventure. They write rather long essays on their character's backstory (orphaned at a young age, raised by wolves - seriously a real beginning).

FP CONTENT: I've handed out some platinum preppies and a couple of fountain pens I nabbed at Daisho for $1.50. They LOVE the fountain pens. They use them in game and for writing up histories and such. They are called - magically filling pens because, in D&D technology they have their ink supplied by magic where everyone else In-Story has to dip their quill in an ink well. They feel real status when using the fountain pen in-game.

I'm now turning to the grown-ups and have a fledgling group that is starting to learn the ropes (and the dice). It's a great outlet for creativity, improvisation and math! And it's just, plain, fun.

-John

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to obiwan For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (August 11th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (August 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Great thread!

Funnily enough I used to play a lot of competitive chess. Travelled around my home country for tournaments. Won the occasional cup and some money. It was a father-son thing for me. For fifteen years we did this, until the mid 90s when father karked it. The joy I had from the game was obviously not just from the game. I never played after that.

Writing is probably the thing I stopped earlier and then came back to. Which is one of the reasons why I am here on this forum and, until recently, on the other place.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 16th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

riding a bike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

My daily 60 minute workout. 5 months' living in a camper and taking over a new business put me in Limbo for anything else.

Now I'm back to:

Swimming/row/bike/weights again and feeling much less stressed.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (August 18th, 2017), TSherbs (August 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Sewing! I used to make everything - all the drapes our house, several times, household decor stuff, my own clothes, clothes for the kids when they were young and especially costumes for all kinds of occasions. The Quidditch Robes I made for my youngest two to go to the midnight launch of one of the books was recently hauled out and laundered so my grandson could wear it for a school 'dress-up as a book character' day! Suddenly I feel so old. I forgot how much I loved to sew.

Anyway, I hauled out my old machine and set it up to make a pen wrap because I couldn't find one I liked. Then I made another. And another... Working on variation number six at the moment. And a few more ideas to try. Now I'm wondering if there's room in the world for a very very small business making handmade pen wraps.
    It's all about the greys...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (August 18th, 2017)

Thanks

As I get older. I am looking for things that make me slow down and appreciate. I have returned to art and dropped photography. I have returned to writing by hand instead of the computer. I have returned to wet/straight razor shaving. I used to think these were time wasters-- but I find them to be appreciation builders.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stickler For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Sewing! I used to make everything - all the drapes our house, several times, household decor stuff, my own clothes, clothes for the kids when they were young and especially costumes for all kinds of occasions. The Quidditch Robes I made for my youngest two to go to the midnight launch of one of the books was recently hauled out and laundered so my grandson could wear it for a school 'dress-up as a book character' day! Suddenly I feel so old. I forgot how much I loved to sew.

Anyway, I hauled out my old machine and set it up to make a pen wrap because I couldn't find one I liked. Then I made another. And another... Working on variation number six at the moment. And a few more ideas to try. Now I'm wondering if there's room in the world for a very very small business making handmade pen wraps.
    Why wouldn't there be a place for your wraps, too? There are several people on Etsy who sell their wraps. They all have different styles. All is a matter of choice.
    Show us your work, start by that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Amanda, I'm a tailor on the side and I love sewing too. Pen wraps are especially satisfying! Make bunches and post photos!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Ancient Greek Philosophy. It really helps me relax and reinforces my understanding of how to lead a productive, meaningful life while keeping my general focus on what is truly important in this gift of life we all share.

Thanks

Finally getting back into learning German. Got myself up to about A2/B1 level with the Goethe Institut, but it has been about six years since I've spoken it (apart from strained conversations in mountain huts). Strangely Duolingo rekindled my interest and fountain pens afford a new medium!

Thanks

Before I got into pens I collected Scotty Cameron golf Putters. I’m still addicted to fountain pens but I’ve decided to get back into Putters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Now that the weather is finally emulating autumn, baking. As in dinner rolls and buttermilk sandwich bread. And I just candied some orange peel for a Christmas bread I'll be making later.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 29th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    What have you gotten back to?
    Bicycling. I'm mainly riding rail trails, where aggressive drivers can't get me. And no, I'm not going to start a collection of bicycles!

Fred