Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Custom 823 vs Custom 74 or CH 92 or Platinum 3776

Thanks

Default Pilot Custom 823 vs Custom 74 or CH 92 or Platinum 3776

I am interested in a Pilot Custom 823. I have read many reviews and like many I have been hesitant to pull the trigger due to the cost. However, I keep reading in review after review that many folks felt the same way, but once they finally made the purchase they kicked themselves for waiting so long. So is the 823 really worth double the price of the Custom 74, CH 92 or even a Platinum 3776? How is the writing experience so much better than those lower priced alternatives? Or is the biggest difference in the huge ink capacity of the 823?

I would really appreciate hearing some thoughts from those who own or have written extensively with all these pens. Just feel I need some more input prior to making my final decision. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Custom 823 vs Custom 74 or CH 92 or Platinum 3776

If you want it and can afford it, do it. I've never wanted the 823 but do have all the others you mention.

Thanks

Are you enthralled by the filling system on the 823? if so, there's no alternative.

I'm happier with the CH 92,especially since I swapped the stock nib for a soft FM.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeFreak View Post
    Are you enthralled by the filling system on the 823? if so, there's no alternative.

I'm happier with the CH 92,especially since I swapped the stock nib for a soft FM.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk
    That's just it. I'm not captivated/enthralled by the vac filling. It's cool, but honestly I don't know that I "need" the ink capacity. I'm ok with c/c, piston or vac. I'm more interested in the writing experience. The nib on paper. Is that substantially different between the pens I've listed?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Cavitt View Post
    I'm more interested in the writing experience. The nib on paper. Is that substantially different between the pens I've listed?
    No!

Thanks

That's just it. I'm not captivated/enthralled by the vac filling. It's cool, but honestly I don't know that I "need" the ink capacity. I'm ok with c/c, piston or vac. I'm more interested in the writing experience. The nib on paper. Is that substantially different between the pens I've listed?
    Then it sounds like the CH 743 is what you are looking for if you really want the #15 nib. If you are happy with the #10 size nib (still a really good size) then the CH912 is also heck of a piece of kit. SO LONG AS YOU LIKE BLACK. heh. I have 2 CH 912s both are fantastic.

The 91, 92 and 75 have #5 size nibs and are smaller pens. But you will find lots of folks who (like me) love these pens as well. I have a SFM on a 74 and it is great.

Thanks

the 743 and 912 are also going to give you way more nib options than the 823

I think the 912 has the largest number of nib options from FA to PO to WA, SU, MU and the soft and hard variants of round nibs. You only get B, M & F on the 823.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have owned all of these, though I did later trade away the Pilot 74. The 74 and 92 have the same nib. In fact, I did a nib swap before trading. Ideally, I would have a 92 in the color of the 74 that I traded away. I liked both pens. I just like a demonstrator with a built in mechanism better than one with a converter.

The 3776 is a really nice pen. It doesn't have quite the quality feel of the other pens, but it writes well and has a fun selection of nibs. There is more feedback with these nibs, but I like that. There is also a variety of finishes, especially with the special editions. I still have my 92, but I have a 3776 inked up far more often. I could probably be talked into trading the 92. The piston is great and it writes well, but it's nothing special either. For some reason, I enjoy the 3776 a lot more.

I also own an 823. It's a nice pen, and feels a lot better in the hand than any of these other pens. But, it really doesn't feel enough better to be worth the added cost. I was using it heavily during some classes I took this summer and it reminded me how much I enjoy the pen for regular serious writing. But there are other pens I like better for this as well: Lamy 2000 and possibly now the Platinum President. But, darned if I don't get a kick out of filling the 823 every time!

So, of the pens listed, I would say I like the 3776 best, but it would be really hard for me to get rid of my 823.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

jodylud (August 19th, 2017)

Thanks

I have 2 Pilot CH 912 but 3 Platinum Century 3776 pens (one is from the late 70s with the ebonite feed and slip cap so quite a different pen in some ways).

I agree (obviously) with Waski that the 3776 is a great pen and considering the size of the nib (surpisingly large) it also represents a great bang for buck and probably the best return for your money.

Mine seems like it should be too small. That I shouldn't like it as much as I do. It looks compact like vintage pen but it always amazes me how nice it is in the hand.

All your choices are good ones here but you can get a #3776 for about $90 from Japan. But if you fancy soft nibs then the C74 S nibs are better than the Platinum which are not really all that soft. I think Waski disagrees with me on that but I honestly couldn't tell that much of a differenfce between the SF and HF on the Platinum whereas the soft fine on the Pilot was noticably softer.

Among the pens you are choosing from there really isn't a bad choice. I think it might be a matter of filling system and how much lighter you want your wallet to be. I personally love the con 70 but I seem to be alone in that love. I also oddly find it super easy to clean. The opening is wide enough that I can put my kitchen faucet on spray and rinse it like a cup. Ink behind the seal? Syringe it out with the button pushed in.

Thanks

823 for me. I've not had good luck with Platinum nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post

Then it sounds like the CH 743 is what you are looking for if you really want the #15 nib. If you are happy with the #10 size nib (still a really good size) then the CH912 is also heck of a piece of kit. SO LONG AS YOU LIKE BLACK. heh. I have 2 CH 912s both are fantastic.

The 91, 92 and 75 have #5 size nibs and are smaller pens. But you will find lots of folks who (like me) love these pens as well. I have a SFM on a 74 and it is great.
    I agree with this advice. If you're not committed to vac filling, then you should focus on nib size & type.

I've never been a fan of the Platinum 3776 and find the nibs far more toothy and hard compared to Pilot.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I personally love the con 70 but I seem to be alone in that love. I also oddly find it super easy to clean. The opening is wide enough that I can put my kitchen faucet on spray and rinse it like a cup. Ink behind the seal? Syringe it out with the button pushed in.
    I love the con 70, too. Huge ink capacity and easy to clean. I've used a syringe for a quick clean.

For ink behind the seal, I disassemble it. The metal ring unscrews, but I needed to use rubber/silicone grips the first time. I've also added a dab of silicone grease to my oldest con 70 that way.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Same here. Con70 is a doddle to clean. I have a 912 FA and an 823 fine. Both pens are comfy in the hand, and both nibs are fun to use. The 823 can be had for USD200, which I think is a pretty decent price. Then again, the 743 is the same price, has more nib options, but a different filler.

Thanks

I have all of these pens and some opinions to share:

The Pilot Custom 823 is a widely loved pen, and I love mine as well. It's my "best" pen in terms of look and feel overall (though I have an FA nib in mine which is more than the standard price of ~$210 imported.)

I agree with all the praise for the 823 but I have some thoughts on it not usually talked about as well:

The 823 is somewhat back heavy compared to the 743. Here's a photo I took for comparison: http://imgur.com/udHN5mc

I can feel this difference in my hand and the balance is more centered on the 743. Also, if you like to change ink colors a lot -- it's much faster to clean a CON-70 than the tank of an 823. (Cleaning a CON-70 isn't bad if you blast water in with a blunt syringe.)

My BIGGEST issue with the 823 is fixable: you have to unscrew the blind cap in order for it to flow properly. If this couldn't be corrected it would be an absolute deal breaker for me. The 2mm gap in the unscrewed blind cap was actually noticeable enough that someone in a meeting at work said, "That's a beautiful pen! But... is that gap supposed to be there?"

I followed Goulet's video instructions ( http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/03/r...n-o-rings.html ) on how to remove the conical seal and the result has been a pen that works normally with no "unscrew the blind cap to write" nonsense. I've had it for over a year with no issues using it this way. SUPER important - if you follow that guide be sure not to screw it back together tightly. Overtightening is how people crack their pens.

About the other pens though -- they're all great. I would recommend buying all four eventually:

The 74 offers a nice variety of nib options and takes a CON-70 which is a nice amount of ink. It has a good hand feel, too.

The plastic of the 3776 isn't quite as refined as Pilot's pens (you can feel the seams on the grip section) BUT Platinum is generous with the gold. The nib is large, and Platinum nibs have a unique feel which I really love. (Although I would bet most 'normal' people would prefer Pilot nibs.)

However, in spite of the seams -- the translucence of the Chartres or Bourgogne finish of a 3776 is really beautiful. You can get a demonstrator 74, as I did, but the 3776 somehow looks nicer.

One more detail -- check out the cap band engraving on the standard 3776 Century. It's not nearly as clean as the print on a Pilot cap band. This bothered me at first but I got used to it. You'll notice some of the more expensive limited edition 3776 Century pens actually have much nicer engraving than the ones you can pick up for $80.

Some Platinum nibs are toothier than others. My 3776 UEF and SF are very toothy and have pronouced feedback. My 3776 B nib is very smooth - still direct, though. The 3776 seems to transfer vibrations directly to your hand. Pilot pens generally have a more "muffled" feedback. You can actually hear a difference between the nibs on paper-- with Platinum having a higher pitch scratchier sound and Pilot's deeper and softer.

The 74 & 3776 are both very affordable (~$80 USD imported) so maybe you'll feel safe carrying them around and using them more.

The Custom Heritage 92 is a good pen as well. It has a very modern look, and I use Pilot Red in mine because it looks amazing. The piston is easier to operate than the 823's vac filler, although the vac filler is more exciting.

The nib size is a big deal to me. While it doesn't change the feel so much I do feel like my #5 Pilot nibs (74 & 92) seem kind of small after using the 823 and 3776.

I don't know enough about your history as to what to recommend. If you have a lot of fountain pens already then the Custom 823 with an FA nib is the must-buy pen. It's beautiful, interesting, and that nib is just divine. I would put it up to anyone's "best writing pen" and I believe it would either hold its own or win.

But if price is a concern or you don't have that many pens yet -- getting the 74 and 3776 would be a way to test the water and feel the difference between Pilot and Platinum. You might want to try a Sailor pen, too.

But is the price of an 823 worth it? That's up to you. I think it is. I'd have a hard time saying goodbye to any of these pens -- but if I wanted to impress someone with the experience of using a fountain pen it's the 823 I'd grab every time.

PS. One more note - any of these pens can arrive writing too dry. If that happens check out the Pen Habit flow adjustment video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuq9tuKRbCY ... Avoid "smoothing" your Japanese nibs - that's rarely needed. The more common issue is the tines can be so tight that ink flow is restricted - that's a safer and easier fix.
    Last edited by JunkyardSam; August 12th, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JunkyardSam For This Useful Post:

Amanda (October 5th, 2017), Driften (August 14th, 2017), jodylud (August 13th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2017), LeFreak (August 13th, 2017), pw1224 (August 13th, 2017), Shane Cavitt (August 14th, 2017)

Thanks

I'd recommend the 823. I have two the them and a few 743s and 742s. The 823's is well balanced, I don't find it back balanced to any extent (especially if you've tried an M800). The huge ink reservoir is a blessing and the blind cap is very handy to adjust flow. I've placed a PO nib into my 823 to increase ink flow and smoothness. Finally a point which isn't mentioned is the resin in the 823 is denser than the 743, this gives a more cushioned ride and better comfort for long writing sessions.

Check out the Pen Habit review, where Matt waxes lyrical and for good reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdIGocJhQg

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

JunkyardSam pretty much said it all. Very exhaustive review of the pens. I'll offer up just the following:

I am, admittedly, a big fan of the 3776. I just landed another this week (the "Stone" celluloid model), which brings me to 5 (after selling one). I really, really like these pens in hand. Having said that, last month at our local pen gathering I had my first opportunity to write with an 823. I have to say that few pens have nestled into my hand in such a comfortable and perfect manner. Sam felt it a bit back-heavy, while I found that bit of weight (due to the metal fittings of the vac system) to settle right into place. If I wrote with it for an hour, maybe I'd rethink that, but for now, it will be on a short list of pens to consider for future purchase.

See what happens when you ask people which pen to get? Millions of opinions!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Shane Cavitt (August 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in and offered up such awesome (and detailed) thoughts. I went ahead and picked up a Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with a medium nib. Part of the reason I went with it was due to the affordability. I just received it and have had little time to put it through its paces, but I will say that initial impressions are extremely positive. Probably would have liked the rhodium trim instead of gold (I'm not a big gold kind of guy), but the writing experience is nice.

Knowing myself as I do, I know there will probably be an 823 in my future. I have just had a thoughts of an 823 in my mind off and on for awhile. I have heard/read far too many positive things about it. Much like Jon's comments as to how it just settled into his hand. I probably won't be content until I at least give it a try.

Thanks again folks!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Just had to share, since I'm so happy: sibling photo time: love for the Platinum 3776 continues with a new addition. Above is the tortoise celluloid, hosting a wonderful Nakaya nib; below is the n00b, the "stone wall" (ishigaki) pattern with, yes, a music nib! This was a good find...

Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 19th, 2017 at 11:40 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 20th, 2017), penwash (August 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Pretty! Jon, I know the celluloid versions don't have the slip&seal mechanism, but I assume there is still some sort of inner cap? Did you have any drying out issues?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Just had to share, since I'm so happy: sibling photo time: love for the Platinum 3776 continues with a new addition. Above is the tortoise celluloid, hosting a wonderful Nakaya nib; below is the n00b, the "stone wall" (ishigaki) pattern with, yes, a music nib! This was a good find...

That one with the music nib is very cool. I think it's worth a post on its own.
    How does it write, Jon? Does it have stub character?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens