Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilot Custom 823 vs Custom 74 or CH 92 or Platinum 3776

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Custom 823 vs Custom 74 or CH 92 or Platinum 3776

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    Pretty! Jon, I know the celluloid versions don't have the slip & seal mechanism, but I assume there is still some sort of inner cap? Did you have any drying out issues?
    TBH, that was a concern. The Nakaya was a free-floating nib because the body it came in (which appears in the Platinum line, as well) was a Briarwood model with a snap cap, and *constantly* dried out. When I got the tortoise, I just crossed my fingers. Thankfully, it has sealed as well as any well made, screw cap (with an inner cap) that I've had. *Probably* dries out more than the s&s caps, but not an issue like the snap version.

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    That one with the music nib is very cool. I think it's worth a post on its own. How does it write, Jon? Does it have stub character?
    I may not get to a post until after the SF show. In general is it like a very wide stub, but slightly thinner horizontals; if these truly take their name from originally doing music manuscript, the fat/thin ratio is important for beams/stems in notation. Great flow, quite smooth, zero complaints. I *may* have Mike Masuyama try to thin the horizontal even more, but only after consultation. If I even get on his list!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    That one with the music nib is very cool. I think it's worth a post on its own. How does it write, Jon? Does it have stub character?
    I may not get to a post until after the SF show. In general is it like a very wide stub, but slightly thinner horizontals; if these truly take their name from originally doing music manuscript, the fat/thin ratio is important for beams/stems in notation. Great flow, quite smooth, zero complaints. I *may* have Mike Masuyama try to thin the horizontal even more, but only after consultation. If I even get on his list!
    I would do the same thing. Thick horizontal lines would ruin the beauty of such nib design, in my opinion.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

TBH, that was a concern. The Nakaya was a free-floating nib because the body it came in (which appears in the Platinum line, as well) was a Briarwood model with a snap cap, and *constantly* dried out. When I got the tortoise, I just crossed my fingers. Thankfully, it has sealed as well as any well made, screw cap (with an inner cap) that I've had. *Probably* dries out more than the s&s caps, but not an issue like the snap version.
    Understood, thanks! One day I'll probably pounce on one of those...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post

Understood, thanks! One day I'll probably pounce on one of those...
    Here is a writing sample of a Chartres Blue Platinum music nib:

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 20th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2017)