Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: Where are the Europeans?

  1. #41
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    2,975
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    East of Eden.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 40 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    When asked what my super power would be had I one, I always answer that it would be to understand all languages. It is also fun imaging what would be the equivalent of kryptonite to such a super power.

    That was one of my two superpowers. That and teleportation..

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stickler For This Useful Post:

    Marsilius (August 22nd, 2017)

  4. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Brit here if you are looking for vintage pens in UK or Europe there are lots of places to try and people who can point you in the right direction.There was a post here a while ago as to US vendors being unwilling to ship abroad but to be honest USPS charges are so high that buying from the US is uneconomical for Europeans and particularly Brits with Sterling on the floor. As to posting here well I should and will post more!
    Last edited by matteob; August 22nd, 2017 at 09:52 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to matteob For This Useful Post:

    d3cadent (August 23rd, 2017)

  6. #44
    Senior Member Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 492 Times in 194 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    I am a European and will stay one after Brexit as I have just got myself an Irish passport.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

    birch (August 26th, 2017)

  8. #45
    Senior Member carlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 366 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post

    First Farmboy I think was being funny.
    Yep, personally I thought it was hilarious.

    OP: sorry your thread got derailed but it was almost certainly going to happen (if it hadn't been Farmboy then the usual US vs RoW topic would have started up).

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

    RocketRyan (September 2nd, 2017)

  10. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Frankly speaking, I did not expect any US guys comment here in the first place.

    Tapatalkkal küldve az én H60-L04 eszközömről

  11. #47
    Senior Member carlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 366 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by d3cadent View Post
    Frankly speaking, I did not expect any US guys comment here in the first place.

    Tapatalkkal küldve az én H60-L04 eszközömről
    We let them come and play in our cultured threads once in a while (just make sure you put paper down).

  12. #48
    Senior Member carlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 366 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    When asked what my super power would be had I one, I always answer that it would be to understand all languages. It is also fun imaging what would be the equivalent of kryptonite to such a super power.
    English tourists in non English speaking countries.

    Talk loudly and slowly in English and add 'appropriate ' suffixes to English words.

  13. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 53 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    [QUOTE=carlc;217985]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Talk loudly and slowly in English and add 'appropriate ' suffixes to English words.
    When I moved to Germany a couple of years ago, I tried really hard to learn the language - however, when I tried my (fairly basic) skills in the local stores, I was invariably answered in (much better!) English. After a couple of months, I gave up... I can read a menu, and just about follow directions, but that's about it...

  14. #50
    Senior Member carlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 366 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    [QUOTE=ShugPug;218028]
    Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Talk loudly and slowly in English and add 'appropriate ' suffixes to English words.
    When I moved to Germany a couple of years ago, I tried really hard to learn the language - however, when I tried my (fairly basic) skills in the local stores, I was invariably answered in (much better!) English. After a couple of months, I gave up... I can read a menu, and just about follow directions, but that's about it...
    I had the same when visiting Paris. However I must say the French are always pleased if you at least try to speak French to them. I presume they feel it shows some courtesy.

  15. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Over the last months I started to spend considerably more time browsing national forums. Maybe it's time to learn couple more languages

  16. #52
    Senior Member Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tochigi, Japan
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    475
    Thanked 669 Times in 262 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    Over the last months I started to spend considerably more time browsing national forums. Maybe it's time to learn couple more languages
    私は万年筆だいすき!!!
    (watashi wa mannenhitsu daisuki!!!)
    (I love fountain pens!!!)
    Sam O

    "A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

    birch (September 7th, 2017), carlc (September 7th, 2017), Morgaine (September 7th, 2017)

  18. #53
    Member Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 82 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I'm from the US, which country is Europe again?
    It's the one with all the Europeans in it. Which, in turn, answers the question in the OP.
    The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
    - Terry Pratchett

  19. #54
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    857
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 566 Times in 306 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Farmboy likes to stir the pot. Does it a lot here and somehow manages to get away with a lot over on FPN as well. His brand of pot stirring occasionally steps over into troll territory. He knows a lot about pens and occasionally is very helpful but occasionally is intensionally unhelpful as well. Just for shits and giggles. He's well known around the pen circles in meatspace too so seems to get away with stuff based largely on that cultural capital.

    Oh that wacky guy.
    Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

    d3cadent (September 8th, 2017), lsmith42 (September 7th, 2017)

  21. #55
    Senior Member ethernautrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of Po
    Posts
    699
    Thanks
    1,171
    Thanked 737 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    Over the last months I started to spend considerably more time browsing national forums. Maybe it's time to learn couple more languages
    私は万年筆だいすき!!!
    (watashi wa mannenhitsu daisuki!!!)
    (I love fountain pens!!!)
    Ja też! Kocham pióra!
    _____________
    To Miasto

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

    Sammyo (September 8th, 2017)

  23. #56
    Member R.A. Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, Great Lakes, USA
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 106 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Where are the Europeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    Over the last months I started to spend considerably more time browsing national forums. Maybe it's time to learn couple more languages
    私は万年筆だいすき!!!
    (watashi wa mannenhitsu daisuki!!!)
    (I love fountain pens!!!)
    Ja też! Kocham pióra!
    Я тоже люблю алторучки.
    “We go to the garrick now and become warbs.”--James Thurber

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •