Thread: Odd size nibs

Thanks

Default Odd size nibs

I have a number of vintage pens that I have not yet refurbished because they have smaller nibs. Smaller than #6 maybe #5 or smaller and some have notches on the sides that taper them so they are thinner at the side that fits into the pen. I have looked all over the internet and can't find smaller nibs. Can anyone direct me to a website that has them?

Thanks

Default Re: Odd size nibs

You'll have to be a bit more specific than "vintage pens". Most manufacturers had their own brand of nib installed on their pens. What brand and model are your pens? Watermans, Parker, Sheaffer, Conklin. You can find old replacement nibs on eBay or check out FiveStar Pens.

Thanks

Check the present nibs for engraving. That's where I'd start. Then if you want to remove said nibs measure with a good set of calipers and see where they end up in relation to a #5 or 6 Jowo for example. I only use Jowo because I know them pretty well. Then check written material from Ron Zorn and other experts.

Thanks

I found Noodler's creaper nibs very useful. They fit a wide variety of vintage feeds and are easy to get.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Indeed, before even the last 10 years or so there was NO standardization on nibs. You MUST supply as much info as possible, along with photos. Most repair people dealing with older, vintage pens just have bins of nibs. If you actually get down to a specific nib, you can try at Five Star Pens (google them), as they have nibs for sale. Not cheap, though.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jar (April 4th, 2018), Marsilius (October 7th, 2017)

Thanks

When I say odd size I mean that the nib tapers down a bit where it fits into the section.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    When I say odd size I mean that the nib tapers down a bit where it fits into the section.
    Can we see pictures? Maybe tell us what pens these are? Specifics are really gonna be important to getting a good fit here. As is heat setting the feed at some point.

Why do you need replacement nibs?

Thanks

It seems that what you are looking for is interior diameter of the section of a pen, as this is where the shank(the tapered down part) of the nib needs to fit. Unfortunately, that information is, seemingly, rarely provided when identifying a used nib, or a de-nibbed pen for that matter. Even the physical size of a nib does not directly correspond to a given shank radius. Example: while most Waterman Keyhole #7 nibs will fit the same section, their physical dimensions can vary quite a bit from a short Manifold to a long tined slender flexible. Between brands, the nib number is somewhat meaningless. I have #2 nibs which are larger than some marked as #6.

As is mentioned, my method is to have a baggy of various vintage nibs that I have collected over the years to draw on when I want to resurrect a pen with a nib deficit. A few ounces gives a nice selection.

Perhaps as incomplete/modified vintage pens become all that is left, and nib swapping more commonplace, more dimensional information will become standard in the hobby.

Pictures do help.

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I have a number of vintage pens that I have not yet refurbished because they have smaller nibs. Smaller than #6 maybe #5 or smaller and some have notches on the sides that taper them so they are thinner at the side that fits into the pen. I have looked all over the internet and can't find smaller nibs. Can anyone direct me to a website that has them?
    Five Star Pens

http://fivestarpens.com/start.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 5th, 2018)

Thanks

#2 seems to have been a more-or-less standard size in the early 20th century. Since my focus is ringtops, I only rarely deal with anything bigger, but standardization only goes so far: a Parker #2 is significant narrower than a Waterman of the same vintage. If you can get your hands on some busted or capless pens with good nibs (buying an odd lot on eBay is a fast way to do this) you can directly compare nib to feed and see if a given nib will work in your pen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sid the Cat For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 4th, 2018)