Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think the best pen is?

Thanks

Default Re: What do you think the best pen is?

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    The best pen for a tinkerer is a pen that ends up writing smoothly and satisfyingly...

after you spent days soaking the section to take it off, then realized that you have to use penetrating oil because the barrel was lined with aluminum, that adds 3 more days.

Then spending an hour with simulated three hands trying to skewer a tiny piece of piano wire through 4 holes two ebonite and two metal, and then realized that you forgot to attach the pressure bar. Do over.

Then realizing that the nib has a crack on it, so you spent the next two weeks sourcing a good replacement, only to find out that the original feed won't fit, so back to the parts drawer, finding the 'needle' in the 'haystack' of feeds.

What barrels are lined with aluminum? That's a new one to me.

Also... penetrating oil? David Nishimura's site references something similar sounding. Naphtha?

Gotta agree with you though. I've got a couple pens out getting their nibs ground right now. One of them I spent a month trying to figure out how to get the lever to lay flat. Can't wait to get it back so I can enjoy them!

Thanks

What barrels are lined with aluminum? That's a new one to me.

I have encountered aluminum sleeves on the section area of Wahl-Eversharp pens.

So far.. only one gave me a hard time and I used soapy water to dissolve the aluminum oxide.

Oh..my favorite pens today are Pelikan 100N green/black binde w/a expressive obb and W-E Oxford in Tunis Pearl w/a expressive broad......

Fred
    Better to be king for a night than a schmuck for a lifetime
    ~ Rupert Pupkin

Thanks

Every pen that is not in my hand!! Why I want all pens.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Hoping this doesn't become a discussion. I just want what you think the best pen is and a couple of reasons why. So for me.
    The Aurora optima, compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs.
    So over to you guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Penetrating oil: Ballistol is pretty good if you can stand the smell! It's available on Amazon.com.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

The best pen is one that looks pretty and writes every time you uncap it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

penwash (September 12th, 2017)

Thanks

My favorite pen for longer writing sessions is the Edison-Collier. It is comfortable & beautiful. My favorite nib is the Sailor. I do love the body of the 1911, but I have the standard size. I might like the large version better. The pen colors are not mesmerizing in the least. I wish they would work on that. My favorite pen for almost any task is my Noodler's-Neponset. It writes a fairly fine line, up to a fairly heavy flex. It holds a ton of ink. I don't really have a favorite of these three. They each have pros and cons. An Aurora-Optima is on my wish list for the future.

Thanks

Cool Re: What do you think the best pen is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    And yet, there is nothing about the design and function of that nib that draws me to it. My handwriting styles don't seem to require that, and I have *many* pens that I enjoy writing with. Maybe you could be a bit more... expansive on just what it is you think makes that nib nonpareil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    I do love mine, it is a great multi purpose nib that can satisfy a number of needs and replace many pens with one.
    Also, as it is a hard but smooth nib and delivers a well balanced flow of ink, the writing feel is like somewhere between a felt tip and ball point.

There is only one thing in the world that is BEST...
    Bacon
    Egg
    Sausage
    Tomato

The BEST sandwich!
    Chicken, bacon, cheese, lettuce, and tomato club sandwich for me, but then does one have mayo or ranch dressing, and which cheese..?
    Last edited by SIR; September 14th, 2017 at 06:03 AM. Reason: corructung spullung

Thanks

You all missed the point

It's not my favourite sandwich, but it is the BEST sandwich...
    (B) Bacon
    (E) Egg
    (S) Sausage
    (T) Tomato
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

You all missed the point

It's not my favourite sandwich, but it is the BEST sandwich...
    (B) Bacon
    (E) Egg
    (S) Sausage
    (T) Tomato
    Drools
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Hawk (September 14th, 2017)

Thanks

I don't have a best pen. I have pens that I like for different reasons. There isn't one pen that has all of the attributes that I like. Besides, my likes change from time to time, therefore a collection.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

My answer remains pretty much the same, but I have a sandwich addendum:

fried egg, pepperoni, and cheese (add tomato if desired). If I'm feeling fancy, I'll cut a whole in a slice of thick bread and fry the egg in that, adding pepperoni and cheese (maybe a slice of tomato). I believe frying the egg in the bread is a Portuguese delicious trick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    My answer remains pretty much the same, but I have a sandwich addendum:

fried egg, pepperoni, and cheese (add tomato if desired). If I'm feeling fancy, I'll cut a whole in a slice of thick bread and fry the egg in that, adding pepperoni and cheese (maybe a slice of tomato). I believe frying the egg in the bread is a Portuguese delicious trick.

Don't know if it was Portugese......My mom used a thick slice of unseeded semolina..toasted in skillet with infused olive oil with garlic..she topped
    it off with leftover bolognese and locatelli romano. To a young boy..this was Love....{freakin'happysmileyfacetimethingie}

Fred
    ..to everything thing there is a season..and time for every purpose under heaven..
    ..a time of peace..I swear it's not too late.........
    Pete Seeger

Thanks

I’m in love with a Dupont Olympio, the finest by far I’ve ever written with. I can’t fathom better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

For me, right now I adore and look forward to writing with my Pilot Custom Urushi.
    The feel and size of the pen, combined with the nice weight and weight distribution and toped of with an AMAZING nib!
    It is, as of now, my favourite writing experience... but is it the best pen?
    For some people it is way too large, for some it is way too expensive, for some it is boring to look at, for some it is gaudy and over the top, etc...

The best pen is indeed an individual thing, and everybody will have a different answer.
    Having said all of that, I am enjoying seeing what people like and look for in a pen.

p.s. if anyone is ever near me they are more than welcome to try out the Pilot Custom Urushi I have and see how you feel about it.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

My best pen as at today....Waterman Serenite. I love heavy pen, well balance on the weight when writing, very smooth nib (M), the material just feels nice to hold, very different from those plastic pens. And also the silver section grip, at the right place. Easy to clean too !!

Thanks

a pen is a tool with a purpose, so I think the 'best pen' would have to be the one you use the most. I have expensive pens, custom grinds, gold nibs, cool designs like the Targa. But my number one edc, most used fountain pen is the humble $7 pilot penmanship. Extra fine nib that's great for cross hatching and cheap paper, I never worry about taking it to a cafe or pub (we do drink & draw nights). It's great, it's always been inked since I got it years ago. I've since gotten similar xf cheap pens (delike new moon, wing sung 659) but the penmanship remains my One True Pen.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candioa For This Useful Post:

KKay (October 1st, 2017), Sammyo (October 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I am really worried, that there are several pens that is on the best Of me level.
    I have two JINHAOs with a Schmidts and a Bock nib.
    and recently bought a Platinum and a few Sailors and few Pilots they are wonderful tools.
    And again bought a Duragraph and a Pelikan which is good in different perspectives of writing.
    I am going to stop buying or adding any more tools as it is difficult to focus in wring than just collecting Pens . It is not a heathy habit.
    I don't want to get in to pen collecting line, but already I have a Mont blanc and a Fiber Castle which is not doing anything.

But it is a real fun to use a pen as" I believe every thought is worth writing down"...
    Last edited by Cyril; October 4th, 2017 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Candioa View Post
    ... the humble $7 pilot penmanship. Extra fine nib that's great for cross hatching and cheap paper...
    Right now in my pocket is one of my favourite pens to write with... the complete opposite of the Pilot Custom Urushi...
    It is a Pilot 78G with a transplanted nib and feed from the Pilot Deskpen (same as the penmanship).
    This nib is sooooo fine, but also soooo smooth! I just love writing with it.
    Comparison pics below...
    PCU vs P78G.jpg
    Sam O

Thanks

I take a slightly different approach. Being in the science field, I perform mini “studies”. I’ll take 6 pens to work and use one pen each day and rotate through them for several weeks. Through this process I’ll begin to notice an emotional reaction to a certain pen day. A day that I’ll be excited to use a pen and a visa versa. I’ll find myself wanting to grab a certain pen or pens more frequently, which makes perfect sense as this is an emotional hobby. Through this process I’ve learned more about my own taste. I like larger pens, italic or flex pens for line variation, sharper italic nibs, etc. So for me right now, my favorite pens are two 149’s, one modified by Mottishaw and one modified by Masuyama, both italic. I have two beautiful pens, a Visconti London Fog and an Aurora 88 flex that I find myself not using because of the plain fine nibs. Sounds like more modifications in the future! Fun, fun, fun!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tedlint For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 24th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candioa View Post
    a pen is a tool with a purpose, so I think the 'best pen' would have to be the one you use the most. I have expensive pens, custom grinds, gold nibs, cool designs like the Targa. But my number one edc, most used fountain pen is the humble $7 pilot penmanship. Extra fine nib that's great for cross hatching and cheap paper, I never worry about taking it to a cafe or pub (we do drink & draw nights). It's great, it's always been inked since I got it years ago. I've since gotten similar xf cheap pens (delike new moon, wing sung 659) but the penmanship remains my One True Pen.
    ... or a functional artwork. Where the craftsmanship and the artistic form surrounds the functional aspect of the pen.

For example, when I see this fountain pen:

Writing with it ... is not the first thing that comes to my mind.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens