Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think the best pen is?

Thanks

Default What do you think the best pen is?

Hoping this doesn't become a discussion. I just want what you think the best pen is and a couple of reasons why. So for me.
    The Aurora optima, compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs.
    So over to you guys.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

KKay (September 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best pen is?

LOL

The pen you happen to like at the moment.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 28th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 28th, 2017), jownby (August 26th, 2017), KBeezie (October 4th, 2018), myu (February 1st, 2018), pandora's pens (September 2nd, 2017), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

The pen you happen to want at the moment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

jownby (August 26th, 2017), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

I have so many pens I love. I could probably be more lucky with the least favorite than favorite. Certainly all of my Esterbrooks, Pelikans and Viscontis

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

I have lots of favourites but no 'best' pen yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Best for what?

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 28th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 28th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2017), pandora's pens (September 2nd, 2017), Scrawler (September 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Pilot metal Falcon. It's the only pen in my favorite color, periwinkle. And the nib's cool.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nospam666 For This Useful Post:

JunkyardSam (August 31st, 2017), Medieval (August 29th, 2018), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Currently, it's the TWSBI Eco. Comfortable to hold, huge ink capacity, it feels robust so I'm not afraid to use it anywhere and not so expensive that I would be concerned about losing it. The choice of colours is good, but not huge so it's possible to collect them all and look forward to the next new one. I am all about the inks, so seeing it sloshing about as a big part of the aesthetic is great. All that, and I have the new turquoise with an EF nib filled with Sailor Yama-dori. Love it.
    It's all about the greys...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

jodylud (August 28th, 2017), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    ... compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs.
    Your reasons can apply to many pens as we choose comfort for writing/use as well as balance and a pleasing size whether posted or capped based on our own preferences. Of course, there is an aesthetic component when choosing the pen body, design, and nib but our personal preferences affect what we consider to be the best in regard to the materials used to make the body of a pen, how the pen caps (click or screw-on), how the pen fills (ink reservoir in the pen or cartridge/converter), the construction of the nib, the materials used to make the nib, the type/size of nib, and the ink flow.

The "best" pen is subjective: everyone can have her/his "best" pen and many of us like/love many pens. As jar stated, the best pen can be "The pen you happen to like at the moment." In addition, as fqgouvea stated, the best pen can be "The pen you happen to want at the moment!" catbert sums it up nicely as well, "I have lots of favourites but no 'best' pen yet."

So, rather than asking about the "best" pen, why not ask folks to share pictures of the pens that they love as well as the pens with which they enjoy writing? That way, there is no controversy or hurt feelings regarding what is considered to be the "best" pen and we can share the beautiful pens that we love with each other -- share our beloved pens with our pen-friends. : )
    Last edited by elysee; August 27th, 2017 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Hoping this doesn't become a discussion. I just want what you think the best pen is and a couple of reasons why. So for me.
    The Aurora optima, compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs.
    So over to you guys.
    The Pilot Myu 701, compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs... that is integrated with the body.

NOTE: I reserve the right to change my answer tomorrow and beyond.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

jownby (August 26th, 2017), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Pelikan M300 ef or Parker 51 fine. Easy to use and reliable and don't dry out. Haven't yet decided.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

1980's Montblanc 146. Feels good, looks good, never dries out (pretty amazing in this regard), always starts right up. Holds a lot of ink.
    --
    Mike

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Bob (August 31st, 2017), inklord (August 27th, 2017), RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elysee View Post
    ... compact when capped, comfortable to use, well balanced and decent sized posted and to top it off in house nibs.
    Your reasons can apply to many pens as we choose comfort for writing/use as well as balance and a pleasing size whether posted or capped based on our own preferences. Of course, there is an aesthetic component when choosing the pen body, design, and nib but our personal preferences affect what we consider to be the best in regard to the materials used to make the body of a pen, how the pen caps (click or screw-on), how the pen fills (ink resevoir in the pen or cartridge/converter), the construction of the nib, the materials used to make the nib, the type/size of nib, and the ink flow.

The "best" pen is subjective: everyone can have her/his "best" pen and many of us like/love many pens. As jar stated, the best pen can be "The pen you happen to like at the moment." In addition, as fqgouvea stated, the best pen can be "The pen you happen to want at the moment!" catbert sums it up nicely as well, "I have lots of favourites but no 'best' pen yet."

So, rather than asking about the "best" pen, why not ask folks to share pictures of the pens that they love as well as the pens with which they enjoy writing? That way, there is no controversy or hurt feelings regarding what is considered to be the "best" pen and we can share the beautiful pens that we love with each other -- share our beloved pens with our pen-friends. : )
    I'm afraid you have missed the point. Your choice can change almost daily/hourly, my point was really to see how people choose their current favourite and what their reasons were.
    Think of it as a psychological exercise. A way of seeing what makes people tick.
    You see I have conversed with Jar a few times, I knew I would get an intelligent answer from him, but I also knew he wouldn't actually answer the question.
    I am as interested in people, as I am in pens.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

nospam666 (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Your reasons can apply to many pens as we choose comfort for writing/use as well as balance and a pleasing size whether posted or capped based on our own preferences. Of course, there is an aesthetic component when choosing the pen body, design, and nib but our personal preferences affect what we consider to be the best in regard to the materials used to make the body of a pen, how the pen caps (click or screw-on), how the pen fills (ink resevoir in the pen or cartridge/converter), the construction of the nib, the materials used to make the nib, the type/size of nib, and the ink flow.

I'm afraid you have missed the point. Your choice can change almost daily/hourly, my point was really to see how people choose their current favourite and what their reasons were.
    Think of it as a psychological exercise. A way of seeing what makes people tick.
    You see I have conversed with Jar a few times, I knew I would get an intelligent answer from him, but I also knew he wouldn't actually answer the question.
    I agree with jar that the best pen may be "the pen you happen to like at the moment" and with fqgouvea in that the best pen may be "the pen you happen to want at the moment" and with catbert that there may be no "best" pen due to having many favorites. I love all my pens and, to me, they are all the best as I never buy pens which I do not love; since I tend to purchase expensive pens, I am careful to buy only pens that I love and those which I can and plan to use for many years. I am also careful not to consider my best pens to be better than the best pen(s) of someone else as "best" truly is subjective; some can be offended by such a label as many are fiercely loyal to the brands and pens that they prefer (again, subjective). So, I have not missed the point at all.

Thanks

I agree with jar that the best pen may be "the pen you happen to like at the moment" and with fqgouvea in that the best pen may be "the pen you happen to want at the moment" and with catbert that there may be no "best" pen due to having many favorites. I love all my pens and, to me, they are all the best as I never buy pens which I do not love; since I tend to purchase expensive pens, I am careful to buy only pens that I love and those which I can and plan to use for many years. I am also careful not to consider my best pens to be better than the best pen(s) of someone else as "best" truly is subjective; some can be offended by such a label as many are fiercely loyal to the brands and pens that they prefer (again, subjective). So, I have not missed the point at all.
    But you have, I did not wish this to be a discussion about the question, just a snapshot of people's thoughts. So if today you used a lamy safari to write to a member of your family and it reminds you of a youth spent happily, then that pen may in your mind be the best. So to clarify it not what you choose, it's the way you chose it.
    Being unable to choose is fine, again it tells me as much as if you do chose.
    It's just opinions.

Thanks

As I've just yesterday received my long-wanted, oft-deferred #3776 in Bourgogne, currently that would have to be the shiny red winner. Classic shape, lightweight, comfortable posted and (for me, at least) un-posted, wide selection of nib widths, not a bad selection of finishes, affordable, doesn't dry out, easy to flush, option to switch to cartridges for travel use (if I ever did), and, most importantly of all, now I don't have to agonise over putting red ink in one of the clear versions.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

RocketRyan (August 27th, 2017)

Thanks

My best pen is the one that best completes the job at hand. I don't edit a story with an italic nib when an extra fine is needed. You don't reach for a rifle when a cream pie will do the job, do you?
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

How did I not answer the question?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    My best pen is the one that best completes the job at hand. I don't edit a story with an italic nib when an extra fine is needed. You don't reach for a rifle when a cream pie will do the job, do you?
    Oh I can make my Aurora stub perform any task if really try.

Thanks

The one that writes...but if it's easy to disassemble, clean, has a lot of ink capacity, piston filler, and an ink window is a plus. Looks are tertiary condition.

I don't really change my mind regarding pens. I either love them or not.