Thread: Fake Lamy Al-Star

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Fake Lamy Al-Star

Hello

I'm rather new to the fountain pen hobby. This year I discovered and fell in love with the Lamy Al-Star. I first got a purple, then a pacific and a blue-green. From past editions I was very taken with the copper orange version that is sadly discontinued. I did find many of them on eBay, but was sceptical about them being the real article. I made a few searches online and only found people who suspected they had a counterfeit pen and others who commented they seemed genuine. So I got a pen for 25 $USD. I received it this morning and it did not compare well with my other pens. I think I definitely have a fake on my hands. It's still a nice looking pen and it writes well enough, but I think I have proof of there really being fake Lamy Al-Stars out there. Perhaps that is news only to me and you are having a good laugh at my innocence ;-P Nevertheless, I have put a few photos as proof in my Instagram feed if anyone is interested at looking at them (link below). I'm still quite shocked that someone would go through all the trouble of producing such a fine copy and being brazen enough to write "Lamy" over all the parts to fool people into buying them.

Here are the differences I have noticed:
    - finial cross screw not quite flush with space available - visible inside the cap
    - Cap spins around pen easily when closed. Does not post well
    - Nib slightly wider and longer. Inscription higher on nib and lighter in colour than original.
    - Underside of feed shiny and slick.
    - Logo etched darker and deeper on barrel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYYwAn7h...=knittyplanner

Cheers,

Audrey

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AudreyP For This Useful Post:

Frank (August 29th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (August 29th, 2017), RomellESC (October 12th, 2017)