Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough Pens?

Thanks

Default Re: Enough Pens?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Let's be honest, one pen is enough. If you have a writing implement to write with you have "enough".
    Anything beyond that is something you want, but don't need...
    I don't have enough pens!
    This explains my habits perfectly... and also how this man drew me into the hobby! (and helps keep it going )
    I have enough pens at 25+ (I gave up keeping count at that point). About 2/3 of them are in rotation, based on my whims. I'm in a gold nib phase, so 9/12 currently inked pens are gold nibbed.

However, I know myself well, and have resigned myself to the fact that my money will go to every TWSBI 580AL LE, every Franklin-Christoph metal bodied pen, and whatever VP LE color strikes my fancy (I have 2014, but the 2015 & 2016 didn't quite do it for me... and am impatiently waiting for 2017... and the older ones are stupidly overpriced).

The high ticket pens have fallen off of my "want" radar lately, though I may consider one if there is something unique about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I was just reading another post where someone had commented that they had enough pens.

Which got me thinking: I think I have too many pens, but it still doesn't feel like enough.

Can you ever have enough pens?
    If you can have enough pens, just how many pens is enough?
    The question is not whether one has enough pens, but whether one has enough money. If the answer to that question is:unlimited, then the answer to the first question is also. In my case, at around 30 really fine pens and another 30 I'd just as soon give away (or throw away, to be honest, but can't bring myself to) I've run out of disposable income, assuming it was every really disposable. Anyway, it's gone, so I have enough pens.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

It might be different if pens were my only collection, or even my primary collection.

I can get by with ten pens. But Hermes scarves? Closer to fifty.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I give them away, and I'm considering a sale of a group of pens bundled together. Why? Because I have too many pens, but I keep searching for better ones. What I do is slowly refine my collection. Certain pens stay through every purge. Slowly, that collection is growing. These are my true loves. Until I got into vintage, that was easy. Vintage made it difficult.

I have always kept my modern pens under 40 (usually 20-30). It is easy to give these pens away. But, my vintage collection is now over 40. Part of the problem is that too many involved restoration. To add to the complication, I tend to buy uncommon brands that don't interest buyers.

I always say I want enough pens to have a variety of finishes and writing experiences. I want enough extra for variety. But I want few enough that I can enjoy them all.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 1st, 2017), JFB (October 4th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Mick Jagger: "Too much is never enough."

Fountain pen use is 99% based on desire and justification. I own about 30 and don't need a single one of them. Nor would my life in any important way be impaired if I were to lose them.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 29th, 2017), catbert (September 4th, 2017), JFB (October 4th, 2017), Waski_the_Squirrel (September 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I have six pens, three 51's and three modern (C/C) pens for everyday use. Currently I have one Swan that I use but am selective where it goes. In the past and maybe in the future another pen or two that I will add to the selective category for awhile. I have in the neighborhood of 100 pens that I collect (hoard) that are in the collector category.
    I need to focus on certain brands, certain eras to corral my 'gotta have' desires. Maybe in 100 years I will accomplish that task, if I live that long and not become senile. Meanwhile I am having fun spending the kids inheritance.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    That actually would make a good 007 movie title.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 6th, 2017), TSherbs (September 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Let's be honest, one pen is enough. If you have a writing implement to write with you have "enough".
    Anything beyond that is something you want, but don't need...
    I don't have enough pens!
    I'll quibble that while one pen is enough at any given moment, having at least one spare is wise for when things go wrong.

And then of course two spares gives you a little extra backup...

I'm well past having enough spares, having enough different types of nibs for different applications, having enough pens to keep some at work and some at home, and any other excuse I can think of. It has been quite some time since I bought another pen because I thought I needed it.

But oddly enough, I have not bought any new pens this year, with eight months gone, and am not really considering any more pens, for now. I guess that at present I really do have enough. The exact number that goes with "enough" in my case is rather large, but far from record breaking.

I would have said that I had enough ink long before that, but I bought a couple of bottles of Sailor inks in April. Just wanted a couple of new colors.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    That actually would make a good 007 movie title.
    or Quentin Tarrantino

Thanks

I tend to become obsessive about a kind of pen, like Parker 51s, Sonnets, Esterbrooks, Sheaffer Touchdown Imperials, Montblanc 144s, etc., and I end up with several of each. Then I move on to the next obsession. Some of these I remain strongly attached to. Some I would not use again. All very strange.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Hawk (September 6th, 2017), JFB (October 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeFreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I find anything approaching 10 to be enough for me. I don't rotate pens as I can't bear the idea of once I love to use being uninked.
    Same here. I get vaguely anxious when I have more than ten pens, or more than ten inks.
    Dear God! I am in trouble!

Thanks

Right now I have enough pens. Now I'm just acquiring them for the dopamine dump

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peli For This Useful Post:

JFB (October 4th, 2017), Sammyo (September 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I tend to become obsessive about a kind of pen, like Parker 51s, Sonnets, Esterbrooks, Sheaffer Touchdown Imperials, Montblanc 144s, etc., and I end up with several of each. Then I move on to the next obsession. Some of these I remain strongly attached to. Some I would not use again. All very strange.
    That doesn't seem strange to me, especially 51's, Sonnets Esterbrooks etc.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I find anything approaching 10 to be enough for me. I don't rotate pens as I can't bear the idea of once I love to use being uninked.
    Same here. I get vaguely anxious when I have more than ten pens, or more than ten inks.
    Dear God! I am in trouble!
    You know, I actually think it's a problem i have. Anxiety around too much choice.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks

Choice is OK by me. I find "enough" pens is limited by two factors, disposable income and time.

I have limited time to spend with pens so I don't like to have too many sitting around not being used.

Limited income is good for me otherwise I would get more pens and it helps me choose keepers, research pens and own ones I really like, rather than getting pens on a whim. My pen budget now is limited to what pens I have, so like Lady Onogaro, if a pen calls to me I have to look and see what I might sell to fund it. I need that control

Current pen posse at 45. Not enough in rotation so planning to sell off about ten Just bought another two

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevmid For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (September 8th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (September 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Enough for now, until I srart with my next List.

Thanks

I think it's subjective. It just depends on personal preference.
    I just started filling another 48 count case today. I filled the first one a few days ago. My number of pens is over 50. I have to count.

When I first got into the hobby I was buying every budget pen I liked. I still like budget pens but have my collection peppered with some more expensive pens as well. I'm a sucker for vintage sac fillers and vintage in general. As well as lesser known brands.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

JFB (October 4th, 2017)

Thanks

You need to have a strong control power....

Thanks

I am still looking for the one perfect pen
    you know I mean perfect in length, girth, grip section, nib performance
    and I am still looking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Areej View Post
    I am still looking for the one perfect pen
    you know I mean perfect in length, girth, grip section, nib performance
    and I am still looking
    I have been in that boat as well, but not sure there is such a thing. For me its a moving target. Especially with nibs. What I like has changed in the last year going from fine to medium and broad as well as adding in Cursive Italic into the mix. I have also gone from thinner sections to thicker ones. One thing for sure is the price of my pens has also gone up. Before I was in the ~$100 range and now I am in the $300 and up prices. Here is an example. I have a Sailor 1911 Large which is almost identical to my Montblanc 146. Similar length, grits, sections and both have good nib performance. The Montblanc blows the 1911 out of the water with how solid it feels in the hand. I still like the 1911 but its not a Montblanc. If I had not bought the MB 146 I would never have known some things can't be judged just the specs on paper. Also for someone else maybe they would like the 1911 Large better. Who knows if I got the 1911 Realo that is piston filler it might be a closer race. I think weight, balance, length of section, and feel of threads can also play a part. Its such a personal thing. For example the shape of the end of the section bothers me on a Platinum 3776 Century. Not something I could tell from numbers in my spreadsheet that I use to guess if something will work for me.

Oh well.... sorry to ramble.