Thread: Help on weird Gold Bond Lever Filler?

Thanks

Default Help on weird Gold Bond Lever Filler?

Hey all,

I recently bought a Gold Bond lever filler (non-Stonite) and it comes with a screw in section, a feed with a long breather tube, and I still can't get to the sac? https://imgur.com/gallery/jNn3u here are pictures. How do I get to the JBar and the sac? Do I need to some how remove the other black part on the pen?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Help on weird Gold Bond Lever Filler?

The pen looks to be missing a sac nipple. Look into Richard Binder's "repairer's corner" for his guide on building a new one.

Otherwise... looks like you might have some stuff to give away or stick in your parts bin.

Thanks

Lets see;

First post on FPG. I'll set up a profile later.

Hopefully, I'm not too late for your pen.

The image provided is a bit dark, but I think that what you have is a Gold Bond which has a two part barrel assembly. The part with the sac nipple is still attached to the barrel. This pen is, basically, a Wahl-made "house brand" version of the Eversharp Junior.

To disassemble, look at the clear (now ambered) front area of the barrel. You should be able to see/feel a join where this screws in to the barrel proper. Once removed, you will see the nipple, and be able to service the pen.

Here is the catch - I have found these to be quite stubborn to unscrew. A thermal thread sealant was used. Repeated soaking and application of gentle heat, with the caveat that the barrel is quite fragile where those female threads are cut. Too much heat, and/or torque will shear the barrel. FWIW, I screw the section with feed back in, prior to disassembly, to provide support while gripping. When reassembling, make sure to use a section sealant to keep things together.

Hope that I am not too late in offering this, as these are really nice pens. A unique twist on the "visible Ink level" fad of the 1930's.

Take care, Bob

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Lets see;

First post on FPG. I'll set up a profile later.

Hopefully, I'm not too late for your pen.

The image provided is a bit dark, but I think that what you have is a Gold Bond which has a two part barrel assembly. The part with the sac nipple is still attached to the barrel. This pen is, basically, a Wahl-made "house brand" version of the Eversharp Junior.

To disassemble, look at the clear (now ambered) front area of the barrel. You should be able to see/feel a join where this screws in to the barrel proper. Once removed, you will see the nipple, and be able to service the pen.

Here is the catch - I have found these to be quite stubborn to unscrew. A thermal thread sealant was used. Repeated soaking and application of gentle heat, with the caveat that the barrel is quite fragile where those female threads are cut. Too much heat, and/or torque will shear the barrel. FWIW, I screw the section with feed back in, prior to disassembly, to provide support while gripping. When reassembling, make sure to use a section sealant to keep things together.

Hope that I am not too late in offering this, as these are really nice pens. A unique twist on the "visible Ink level" fad of the 1930's.

Take care, Bob
    Bob - always great to see a detailed exposition on a problem like this, so welcome to FPG and thanks for sharing!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

A lot of time has passed, but who knows? Maybe OP is still out there.

Here is a disassembled Eversharp Junior which, I believe, is a sibling of OP's Gold Bond. Gold Bond was a "Brand" name sold by Montgomery Wards. Eversharp made several models of Gold Bond for M-W.

Note that the "front barrel, or is it rear section?" piece has both male and female threads cut in the front. This is quite prone to damage, if care is not taken. When unscrewing this from the barrel, proper, I reiterate the importance of having the section/feed screwed back in to provide support, as outlined in previous post.

To add some confusion, there are a few different pens of this era with visulated areas which look similar, but are constructed differently.

1 Eversharp Jr - Threaded section and sub section.
    2 Eversharp Doric - Note that section with visulated nipple extension is friction fit and visulated front of barrel does not remove. Ink level is viewed through both section and barrel.
    3 Webster (Re-branded Parker Televisor, sold by Sears). Note that section with visulated nipple extension is threaded and visulated front of barrel does not remove. Ink level is viewed through both section and barrel.
    4 Eversharp Jr asembled. Green with purple was a pretty cool color combo for the "Junior" set.
    - To keep folks on their feet, there is also a version of the Eversharp Jr with a conventional friction-fit one piece visulated section.

Detail of Doric with the later style adjustable nib.

One thing that is interesting from a student of old pens perspective is how much more ambering takes place in the visualated sac nipple extension than in the barrel. Direct contact with ink, and "sac gas" may be at play.

As can be seen, it is easy to be confused as what to pull, unscrew, or leave alone.

Within a few years, the 51 was unveiled and nobody seemed to care about the visible ink supply fad, until they started selling Boutique ink by the ml, a few years back.

Bob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 12th, 2017)