Thread: Travel Suggestions in Europe (mostly Germany)

Thanks

Default Travel Suggestions in Europe (mostly Germany)

I have to go to a conference this month in Germany (near Homburg). I am going to drive .. so I can either take the Channel Tunnel and drive through France, or I can take the ferry to Rotterdam and drive down. I have 2-3 days on either end of the conference. Any suggestions? Both ways I can go through Brussels and Luxomburg. Or I could just stay in Holland or France and explore there.

Not trying to spend a fortune, but if there is something "must see" I would like to see it.

Thanks

Default Re: Travel Suggestions in Europe (mostly Germany)

Hey - I've lived in Ramstein, near Kaiserslautern for the last couple of years and have done that drive on more than one occasion... For places to stop on the route - Bruges and Ghent are both stunning! There's an Ikea you can park in just outside them and take a train in, which is born much easier and much cheaper than parking anywhere near the old towns. Luxembourg City is worth a day as well - but take your walking shoes as it's incredibly hilly!

Nearer the show itself, in France, there's an incredible old fort at Bitche (yes really!)

Quick note on the drive itself - the route that takes you through Belgium is a damn site cheaper than the French tolls, but the roads really aren't that great. You quite literally pay your money (or not...) and take your choice!

When's the show? I've got a week in Belgium for work, but also a week off... But then I move to the USA for 6 months... I'm not sure Mrs SP would let me go to a show on the few days we have left together this year
    Last edited by ShugPug; September 2nd, 2017 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks

Not a pen show a conference. I am living in England.. just purchased the ferry tickets to Rotterdam, but I gave myself Friday-Sun to get to the conference (in Ramstein specifically) and another weekend on the other end heading back. Want to make the most of it. I would hate to get to Brussels or Luxemburg and walk around go "meh" only to find that at work the next week people are saying "Do you see the ...?"

I am hoping to get back in time for the London Pen show though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShugPug View Post
    Hey - I've lived in Ramstein, near Kaiserslautern for the last couple of years and have done that drive on more than one occasion... For places to stop on the route - Bruges and Ghent are both stunning! There's an Ikea you can park in just outside them and take a train in, which is born much easier and much cheaper than parking anywhere near the old towns. Luxembourg City is worth a day as well - but take your walking shoes as it's incredibly hilly!

Nearer the show itself, in France, there's an incredible old fort at Bitche (yes really!)

Quick note on the drive itself - the route that takes you through Belgium is a damn site cheaper than the French tolls, but the roads really aren't that great. You quite literally pay your money (or not...) and take your choice!

When's the show? I've got a week in Belgium for work, but also a week off... But then I move to the USA for 6 months... I'm not sure Mrs SP would let me go to a show on the few days we have left together this year

Thanks

Have you heard that Germany now has extremely cheap train tickets for the summer?

Thanks

My main suggestion now would be to try traveling on a train. Not sure that you still need it, but maybe someone has not heard that they issued new, very cheap tickets. These tickets allow you to travel on various trains for just nine euros.
    It is a great chance to explore Germany! The government did that as a part of measures taken to recover from COVID. I think that non-Germans can have it too. You can check availability at dbauskunft.com and see for yourself. I would not want to lose such a chance in your place because these tickers are for this summer only.
    Last edited by Mazanbik; June 17th, 2022 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

the necroposting spammers are back with a vengeance today...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    A different technique, posting two IDs within a minute. Perhaps the spam link will come in an imminent post.

Thanks

Ooh, resurrected by spammer,
    Last edited by An old bloke; June 6th, 2022 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I was going to post a suggestion until I saw your comment and looked at the OP date. 😮😬

Thanks

My main suggestion now would be to try traveling on a train. Not sure that you still need it, but maybe someone has not heard that they issued new, very cheap tickets. These tickets allow you to travel on various trains for just nine euros. It is a great chance to explore Germany! The government did that as a part of measures taken to recover from COVID. I think that non-Germans can have it too. You can check availability at dbauskunft.com and see for yourself. I would not want to lose such a chance in your place because these tickers are for this summer only.