Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conklin feed, nib, unit alternatives

Thanks

Default Conklin feed, nib, unit alternatives

Any aware of the above? Edison, Bock, etc. that is acceptable ina Mark Twain, duragraph, Word Gauge, Conklinetta?

Thanks

Default Re: Conklin feed, nib, unit alternatives

I have a Conklin Duragraph which needs a new nib unit. Research tells me it take a Jowo nib unit. Apparently the Edison is a Jowo. The cost of sending it to and from Yafa for warranty repair is close to the cost of a new Jowo. I plan to replace it with a Jowo.
    John

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant” ― Alan Greenspan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johniem View Post
    I have a Conklin Duragraph which needs a new nib unit. Research tells me it take a Jowo nib unit. Apparently the Edison is a Jowo. The cost of sending it to and from Yafa for warranty repair is close to the cost of a new Jowo. I plan to replace it with a Jowo.
    Could you keep us updated and post your review if it works, etc?

Thanks

I guess you can replace the nib alone without having to replace the whole unite.
    I am planing to buy a Duragraph and replace the Stubthat I wish to get. If I don't like the size of the writing and my plane is to replace it with a JOWO fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I guess you can replace the nib alone without having to replace the whole unite.
    I am planing to buy a Duragraph and replace the Stubthat I wish to get. If I don't like the size of the writing and my plane is to replace it with a JOWO fine.
    Right............I was inferring to if anyone knew the whole unit had an acceptable alternative? The nib itself is friction fit and easy to replace as you say

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 4th, 2017)

Thanks

I had originally intended to disassemble the nib unit to make sure it was not clogged with manufacturing debris. Several videos, including one by Brian Goulet, indicate that the unit is easily taken apart. Mine appears to have been jammed together or improperly assembled. I can't pull the nib and feed out. I don't want to use too much force (pliers come to mind!) for fear of breaking the feed so my only recourse seems to be to replace the entire nib unit. I've jusr moved so the project is a relatively low priority right now. It may be a few weeks before I get back to it. Maybe the next time I take it out, the nib & feed will have given up and slide right out (or maybe not). My plan still is to eventually replace it with a Jowo unit.
    John

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant” ― Alan Greenspan

Thanks

I believe the feed unit of the new conklins is identical to my delta serena and unica feeds.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

I had originally intended to disassemble the nib unit to make sure it was not clogged with manufacturing debris. Several videos, including one by Brian Goulet, indicate that the unit is easily taken apart. Mine appears to have been jammed together or improperly assembled. I can't pull the nib and feed out. I don't want to use too much force (pliers come to mind!) for fear of breaking the feed so my only recourse seems to be to replace the entire nib unit. I've jusr moved so the project is a relatively low priority right now. It may be a few weeks before I get back to it. Maybe the next time I take it out, the nib & feed will have given up and slide right out (or maybe not). My plan still is to eventually replace it with a Jowo unit.
    If and when I ever have to use pliers I have a piece of bicycle rubber inner tube I use, which never harms the nib or the feed. Sorry to hear it is all screwed up though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    I believe the feed unit of the new conklins is identical to my delta serena and unica feeds.

Thanks....good to know. Was hoping there was an inexpensive alternate like the Edison pen nib units? Just curious can you buy an Edison nib separate from feed, et.? The Goulet and Anderson nibs are really a great alternate. You can take the 1.1 italic I find where you can grind and smooth to get an even thinner result. removing some metal from the back side results in some nice flex as well if you are careful. I bet Pendleton Brown, Mark Bacas, etc. could really do some crazy stuf to one of those nibs

Thanks

I recently bought some nice "old" new Conklin medium nibs on eBay for about $8.00 each. They are smooth and fit nicely. They are from the first round of new Conklins, and are Bock #6 nibs. You can still get a number of those.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

I have posted this link before, and no affiliation, but got some of these and they were a great deal:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONKLIN-BOCK....c100033.m2042
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Wow.....cheaper then a Noodlers nib.

Who makes Conklin nibs now?

Thanks

Funny, I thought it was Bock, or maybe the same as Delta nibs, but not sure anymore. These old ones are Bock I am pretty sure.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Having Googled around, it seems they're JoWo now, but some were Bock before.

Anyway, I just mucked about with my Duragraph and an off-the-shelf Bock and Edison nib units, and I'm afraid neither was inclined to fit in my pen.

As to the stuck unit, resist the use of pliers. Try giving it a soak in some warm water, and use something non-slip when you try to pull it - washing up gloves will do the trick. It'll be tougher to do than in the videos, because for you it'll be the first time it's been pulled, whereas in the videos they've already done it once to make sure they can. Alternatively, just leave it alone and flush it through to get rid of any manufacturing debris. They're not actually intended to be taken apart, after all.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I bought my Konkilng Duragraph with Stub Nib. I am happy with the Nib but I am trying to see if I can remove the nib and change with a "Bock or Jowo or any other Size 6 Fine nib.
    The nibs are on the way and this a great solid pen worth trying to use with some other nibs if they can be swap from time to time. I'll tell later when i get those nibs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I just got a Duragraph and am unable to unscrew the nib unit. I don't want to twist the nib out of alignment-any tips? Running it under hot water didn't seem to help.

Pax,
    John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I just got a Duragraph and am unable to unscrew the nib unit. I don't want to twist the nib out of alignment-any tips? Running it under hot water didn't seem to help.

Pax,
    John
    Don't try this at home, but I didn't unscrew the whole unit. I just wiggled the nib and feed out gently. Once the nib is out, the feed moves easily.
    Maybe a longer soak, with a drop of dish soap?
    Other smarter and wiser will answer.
    Fortibus es in ero

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

JFB (December 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Any aware of the above? Edison, Bock, etc. that is acceptable ina Mark Twain, duragraph, Word Gauge, Conklinetta?
    Not sure if you've found a solution for your Conklin, but I have a spare Conklin feed/housing (no nib) not in use. If either of you so fancy (or anyone else for that matter-- but priority to the two starting this discussion), just PM me an address and I'll send it your way via letter mail. You can then proceed to popping whatever #6 nib you like into the housing.

And answering to your curiosity, the Conklin housing does differ from both standard Jowo and Bock housings.

Last edited by jeffraffe; December 2nd, 2017 at 11:16 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffraffe For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (December 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post

Don't try this at home, but I didn't unscrew the whole unit. I just wiggled the nib and feed out gently. Once the nib is out, the feed moves easily.
    Maybe a longer soak, with a drop of dish soap?
    Other smarter and wiser will answer.
    I'll try a drop of Dawn, next time I change ink-thanks!

Pax,
    John

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JFB For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffraffe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Not sure if you've found a solution for your Conklin, but I have a spare Conklin feed/housing (no nib) not in use. If either of you so fancy (or anyone else for that matter-- but priority to the two starting this discussion), just PM me an address and I'll send it your way via letter mail. You can then proceed to popping whatever #6 nib you like into the housing.

And answering to your curiosity, the Conklin housing does differ from both standard Jowo and Bock housings.

Thanks for this, worth a thousand words!
    Fortibus es in ero