Thread: Pen Show Newbie Question

Thanks

Default Pen Show Newbie Question

I'm hoping to be able to attend the Dallas Pen Show sometime over the next couple of days. Have never been to a show, but have been doing my homework as to what I can expect. My question is about trading. Is it accepted? Encouraged? Expected? I have a couple of vintage pick ups that aren't my cup of tea and was wondering if the possibility exists that I could trade them for other vintage. I'm not talking high end or extremely collectible stuff. Just good user pens. How does trading work and how should I approach it? Thanks in advance for any tips/pointers!

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Show Newbie Question

I can't answer your question on the trading aspect but if you are a show newbie, in case you haven't seen it, Matt Armstrong from the Pen Habit did a good 45min video recently on what to expect and how to handle a pen show. It's called pen show primer http://penhabit.com/2017/08/22/pen-s...matts-musings/

Might be something useful there. Enjoy the show!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevmid View Post
    I can't answer your question on the trading aspect but if you are a show newbie, in case you haven't seen it, Matt Armstrong from the Pen Habit did a good 45min video recently on what to expect and how to handle a pen show. It's called pen show primer http://penhabit.com/2017/08/22/pen-s...matts-musings/

Might be something useful there. Enjoy the show!
    Yes I have watched the primer from Matt. Good stuff and definitely learned a lot from it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

While trading between a visitor and a vendor happens, it is not the norm at pen shows.
    The vendors are there to make a profit, obviously, otherwise they won't be a vendor for a long time.

So in my opinion, if the vendor sees something that they are looking for, they will trade with you, but they won't do it otherwise.

Therefore I don't think that trading is frowned upon, but you need to adjust your expectation according to what you have to trade for.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    While trading between a visitor and a vendor happens, it is not the norm at pen shows.
    The vendors are there to make a profit, obviously, otherwise they won't be a vendor for a long time.

So in my opinion, if the vendor sees something that they are looking for, they will trade with you, but they won't do it otherwise.

Therefore I don't think that trading is frowned upon, but you need to adjust your expectation according to what you have to trade for.
    Will, thanks for the reply. I know vendors are there to make money and that was why I asked the question so as to know what to expect. I have no illusions of making a one for one deal. I was thinking more in terms of offering a trade to help reduce the price. Something like a trade-in on a car. I have X pen + cash for Y pen.

Turns out I will not be able to make the show, but it is good to know for the future. Thanks again for the education!