Thread: Question regarding Hairline Cap Cracks

Thanks

Default Question regarding Hairline Cap Cracks

I've been looking at a lot of listing for vintage Parkers and Sheaffers lately and occasionally I come across a description stating that the cap has a hairline crack up to the cap band. The description usually states it does not affect use. Can someone please educate me about this? How concerned should one be about cracks in the cap? I can understand that it wouldn't affect the writing, but what potential affect could it have? Would it affect the nib drying out quicker? If it is on a smaller size like a Duofold Jr where you would probably want to post the cap, would you just have to be more careful when posting? Any experience in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Question regarding Hairline Cap Cracks

In my estimation, the only problem would be that one shouldn't post the pen. It would put additional stress in the weak area. The cap band was there to keep from stressing the cap lip when capping the pen and it will keep the crack from growing. Be gentle when capping these pens. Some pens are more susceptible to lip cracking. As far as drying out, the inner cap will seal the pen.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dreck (August 24th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2017), kaisnowbird (August 24th, 2017), Shane Cavitt (August 23rd, 2017), Woody (August 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

There is a good solution for hairline cracks.

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is a sealant with a viscosity that allows it to travel the entire hairline and seal / repair the crack regardless of how small it is. It also remains pliable much like the material it is repairing so there is less danger of a secondary hairline beginning along the path of the repair.

Just do a Google search and it will pop up.

As with any chemical, make sure you try a small amount on a part of the pen that doesn't show and see how it reacts with the pen material.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    There is a good solution for hairline cracks.

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is a sealant with a viscosity that allows it to travel the entire hairline and seal / repair the crack regardless of how small it is. It also remains pliable much like the material it is repairing so there is less danger of a secondary hairline beginning along the path of the repair.

Just do a Google search and it will pop up.

As with any chemical, make sure you try a small amount on a part of the pen that doesn't show and see how it reacts with the pen material.
    +1 to this for hairline cracks, I've used it successfully!
    "When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Shane, the advice so far is good. You *do* have to be careful on very old vintage when doing fixes, and be aware that not only does a cap lip set itself up for cracks, but can chip (and have a chunk fall out) and then you don't have a lot of recourse for repair. If you can get a pen *without* lip cracks that's better and this is also good reason to post carefully and lightly with pens of older make.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin