Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dupont vs Visconti

Thanks

Default Dupont vs Visconti

I do not have the funds to purchase both. Anyone who’s bought on eBay understands the inherent problems with such a purchase. First and foremost, you can’t try them out prior to buying, but such is life. I’ve been hovering over two pens I very much want. I only buy from the well established sellers so no concerns about this purchase.
    One, the Visconti oversized Dark Age Homo Sapiens.
    Two, the Dupont Olympio.

Which would you go with and why?

Much Thanks!!!
    Nate

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Dupont vs Visconti

Not even close. ST Dupont is known as THE company that pays attention to even the most mundane of details. Visconti is not even in the same universe as ST Dupont.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Liquid360 (August 31st, 2017), Wile E Coyote (September 7th, 2017), zorin (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Me? I'd go with the Visconti... Why? I don't like metal sections... that's the only reason.

You are more likely to get a better nib with the ST Dupont, You are more likely to have less issues with the ST Dupont, you will not be disappointed with the ST Dupont... But it's your choice for your reasons... mine are personal and I can't get around them
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Of the two I would go with the S.T. Dupont. I fondle those pens every chance I get. Some of the designs are too ornate for me but the feel of quality is always evident. I do not own one so grains of salt and all that.

Visconti. If you own a good one and enjoy it, hat's off to you is all I will say. Personally find many of their designs unappealing but I do like the looks of the Wall street but that is because my 2 favorite pens of all time come in striated celluloid (the Sheaffer Balance, The Parker Vac). But honestly I wouldn't buy a Visconti. Ever.

With that kind of scratch I would be looking at a fancy pants Pelikan M80x or one of the limited Aurora 88s, Sailor KOP or even a MB or a Nakaya.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Me? I'd go with the Visconti... Why? I don't like metal sections... that's the only reason.

You are more likely to get a better nib with the ST Dupont, You are more likely to have less issues with the ST Dupont, you will not be disappointed with the ST Dupont... But it's your choice for your reasons... mine are personal and I can't get around them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

We'll colour me sold.

Sent from my SCV31 using Tapatalk
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

We'll colour me sold.

But wait, there's more. Many of the metal sections found on ST Dupont pens are also textured; they either have a microsiped surface or patterned details that help overcome slickness.

ST Dupont really does pay attention to even the most mundane details and the parts that generally don't show are always finished to the same level of perfection as the parts that do show.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (August 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    We'll colour me sold.

But wait, there's more. Many of the metal sections found on ST Dupont pens are also textured; they either have a microsiped surface or patterned details that help overcome slickness.

ST Dupont really does pay attention to even the most mundane details and the parts that generally don't show are always finished to the same level of perfection as the parts that do show.
    For sweaty handed folks like me, this is good to know. I have no issues with the Lamy 2000... Now I have another pen/brand to add to my ever growing list...

Sam O

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    With that kind of scratch I would be looking at a fancy pants Pelikan M80x or one of the limited Aurora 88s, Sailor KOP or even a MB or a Nakaya.
    I can't speak for the S.T. Dupont, but I'm gonna somewhat argue with stub's comment above.

I have a Visconti that I love. It is a Voyager Anniversary edition with a B nib, but their discontinued gold ones and not the Dreamtouch. With their currently available nibs, I will agree with stub, but that B gold nib is one of my favorites. It's buttery smooth, I love the double chamber vac system (which is awesome because I travel by plane frequently enough to make me appreciate it), and I like the coloring (blue, black, and some gold swirl in clear).

I have a Sailor KOP, and though I do like the B gold nib in this as well, it's not one that I pull when I want something truly broad. True to form, it is a size smaller than the Visconti, but I enjoy it differently, but if it was a fight between the two, the Visconti would win.

I have a MB Brahms, and this was my first big spender pen. It had to order it because I wanted their EF nib, which is great, but not my favorite. I keep it around because I love the styling. I use it because I can have an ink in there for months on end and it starts up like its been freshly inked every time. It's one of my less fiddly pen. But in a fight with the Visconti I have, it's close, but I think the Visconti would still win.

I haven't tried a Pelikan M8xx, but I have tried several of the smaller ones, so take this with a grain of salt. I hate their nibs. I get zero enjoyment out of writing with them. There's no element of "fun" for me with them. For me, the Visconti > Pelikan hands down.

I don't believe I have tried any Aurora 88's, so my avoidance of them is purely superficial. I haven't seen one that made me think, "oooohh pretty!" That's one of the few aspects of my personality that is most definitely feminine. I like pretty things, so I tend to not use something I don't consider pretty.

And with that said... go with the ST Dupont.
    The Husband seems to like his HS, but the cam lock mechanism bothers me. The edges are fractionally too sharp for my fingers and I feel like I'm on a knife's edge every time I try it. The material of the pen and the cap lock mechanism is really neat, but there are too many "issues" with it for me to ever want to buy one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

stub (August 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    I can't speak for the S.T. Dupont, but I'm gonna somewhat argue with stub's comment above.
    These are, of course, all just opinions, but it seems like your's is based on much more extensive experience owning many more of these high end pens than I so I really can't quibble with that. I am more of a vintage nerd, though I do own a MB, a couple Pelikans, a large Omas, a (modern) Aurora 88.

I'll crawl back under my pile of Sheaffers (WE GOT YOUR Palladium and DOUBLE POWERFILLERS RIGHT HERE YO) and shut up now. heh.

I do not own a Visconti. I doubt i ever will (beautiful though the Divina and Wall Street models are). They are impossible to get here anyway. I'll admit I am curious. I wish I could rent one and see what the deal is.

curious to know the results of this deliberation.

cheers~

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 31st, 2017)

Thanks

I'll crawl back under my pile of Sheaffers (WE GOT YOUR Palladium and DOUBLE POWERFILLERS RIGHT HERE YO) and shut up now. heh.
    Oh no you don't! I am a firm believer that every opinion matters... and sometimes they're fun to debate/argue
    If ever I find myself going to Korea (we have at least one supplier there... and one of our customer's homeroom is located there), I'll give you a holler so we can do a knowledge swap! I am pretty knowledge deficient when it comes to vintage pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Oh no you don't! I am a firm believer that every opinion matters... and sometimes they're fun to debate/argue
    If ever I find myself going to Korea (we have at least one supplier there... and one of our customer's homeroom is located there), I'll give you a holler so we can do a knowledge swap! I am pretty knowledge deficient when it comes to vintage pens.
    I would welcome that. Korea is a gas. Hope you make it out here some time. So much to see and, uh, let's be honest EAT.

Cheers~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (August 31st, 2017)

Thanks

I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I do own a pair of Dupont lighters that I’ve had for a decade. They are beautiful utilitarian tools, heirloom quality. Based on that and input here, I’ve made an offer on a Dupont Olympio. I’ll update with photos should we come to terms on this pen. I’m really excited... my baby pen collection slowly grows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Liquid360 For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (September 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

The ST Dupont pens exhibit the same attention to detail as their lighters.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Liquid360 (September 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Default Dupont vs Visconti

If anyone happens to be around this morning, anybody have an opinion on this specific Olympio before I accept the counteroffer? I LOVE the violet Chinese lacquer and palladium color combo. Beyond aesthetics, any thoughts? It is new/never inked.

Thanks

I've seen that pen quite a few times in my local pen hangout, and it is absolutely superb. Medium weight, well balanced, and fantastic. But be careful: It is an all metal pen, so you either carry it in a case at all times and only pull it out to use, or you end up with a million micro-scratches. I may be biased though because I'm a Dupont collector and purple is my favorite color.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkxpert For This Useful Post:

Liquid360 (September 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inkxpert View Post
    I've seen that pen quite a few times in my local pen hangout, and it is absolutely superb. Medium weight, well balanced, and fantastic. But be careful: It is an all metal pen, so you either carry it in a case at all times and only pull it out to use, or you end up with a million micro-scratches. I may be biased though because I'm a Dupont collector and purple is my favorite color.
    Great to hear!! I’ve placed the order and it’ll arrive next week. Can’t wait! I’m actually in the process of painting a highlight wall in a dark matte purple against a grey. It was inspired by the purple on the Dupont logo so we share a sense of aesthetics. Thanks for that feedback! I’m feeling good about the purchase, my first Dupont pen.

Thanks

Greatly approve of your choice with this Dupont.

I have the same one in black (instead of purple) coming to join the rest of my Olympios. I think you'll be very very happy when it arrives.

Love the rest of your collection by the way. Those oversize Deltas look fantastic!!!

Now you have France, Germany and Italy, you'll need to go Japanese for a different feel altogether or British with an Onoto or Conway Stewart

27. The Following User Says Thank You to aggoo For This Useful Post:

Liquid360 (September 7th, 2017)

Thanks

The pen arrived yesterday and wanted to post a couple photos. I’ll give more comprehensive thoughts later. This pen is the most stunning single utilitarian object I’ve ever had the pleasure of holding. From the box to the pen... simply breathtaking. I don’t have the words to describe...

Thanks

New ink just arrived as well. Good day!