Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goulet Pens +1

Thanks

Default Goulet Pens +1

I've placed several orders with Goulet Pens, and have found their service speed and packaging to be wonderful. All orders have included ink, and they have arrived heavily wrapped in plastic and securely padded to ensure minimal chance of breakage. I will order from them in the future for certain. They also include a little handwritten note on the receipt, which I think is a nice personal touch.

Thanks

Default Re: Goulet Pens +1

I've had good luck with them as well. Prices are competitive, shipping is fast (and securely packed), they don't gouge you with excessive s&h charges and I appreciate the videos, ink samples, etc.

Thanks

Service is fast and good but P&P to the UK is very high.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

For ink, TWSBI, Noodler's, and stationary they are the the best, but their prices on pens aren't always so great.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    <snip>, but their prices on pens aren't always so great.
    Your point's well made and I agree. For example, I've never figured out why anyone would buy a Pilot VP, Pilot Fermo, Pilot 74, Pilot 823, etc. from Goulet Pens when they can pick up the very same item from John Mottishaw (nibs.com) at the same price yet receive a pen which has been inspected, inked, tested on paper, and optimized for the individual writing characteristics of the end user before being cleaned and shipped to the buyer. All this at no additional cost by one of the USA's top nibmeisters.

And then I heard on one of their Write Time broadcasts that the Goulets were considering expanding into the high-end Pelikan line where they'd compete with Mottishaw and Binder at the same 20% discount price point. I advised them that was a misguided idea...those two well-regarded nibmeisters would provide much more value for high-end Pelikans than the Goulets were prepared to...at the same price point.
    Last edited by Felix; April 28th, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Misspelled Richard Binder's name! :-(

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

kenmc (July 25th, 2013), maiboo (May 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    <snip>, but their prices on pens aren't always so great.
    Your point's well made and I agree. For example, I've never figured out why anyone would buy a Pilot VP, Pilot Fermo, Pilot 74, Pilot 823, etc. from Goulet Pens when they can pick up the very same item from John Mottishaw (nibs.com) at the same price yet receive a pen which has been inspected, inked, tested on paper, and optimized for the individual writing characteristics of the end user before being cleaned and shipped to the buyer. All this at no additional cost by one of the USA's top nibmeisters.

And then I heard on one of their Write Time broadcasts that the Goulets were considering expanding into the high-end Pelikan line where they'd compete with Mottishaw and Binder at the same 20% discount price point. I advised them that was a misguided idea...those two well-regarded nibmeisters would provide much more value for high-end Pelikans than the Goulets were prepared to...at the same price point.
    Exactly. I also would throw in that there are some other sellers that sell less than Binder or Nibs.com, and don't tune the pens...but often if it is a nice pen, you shouldn't (ahem..cough cough) have a problem with the nib in the first place. I try to buy my modern pens at the lowest price possible. (Pam Braun used to be da bomb for this kinda thing...but alas she stopped the business)
    Will

Thanks

Yep, Pam took a lot of dollars out of my pocket before she closed up shop. That was a sad day for pen lovers.

jor412

For ink, TWSBI, Noodler's, and stationary they are the the best, but their prices on pens aren't always so great.
    True. I enjoy buying from goulet pens. The personalized service and the packaging are amazing, so when I can buy from them, I do. But some of their competitors do offer better deals.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Today I ordered two bottles of ink and some sealing wax. I had the tracking number and shipped notice in less than half an hour. They rock, totally. :thumbup:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Placed an order yesterday. I like supporting small businesses.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 4th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

So far I've had three orders with them and been completely satisfied with the transactions. Once there was a mere two day delay to obtain a nib for the pen and they offered a couple ink samples as compensation (then I had to make another order later to buy one of those inks-clever).

They may not have the cheapest prices but they may offer options and service not available at other retailers and they have protective packaging second to none.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I am a very happy customer of Goulet Pens. I particularly like their ink samples, they do a great job of photography of the ink swatches and the ability to view side by side comparisons of the swatches is great. I enjoy getting their monthly Ink Drop samples. It's a great way to try inks that many times I wouldn't have picked on my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Sometimes there are aspects of a purchase besides getting the absolute, to-the-penny lowest price. In the instance of the Goulets, I value very highly their business ethic, their interest in the pen community at large, and the fact that I am helping a small, family-run business to survive. The points made about purchasing a pen from a seller who also tunes it are well-placed, and it is also a value that adds to the transaction. Nonetheless, the mindset of trolling the web to get this or that for the precise least amount of money neglects these smaller operations, and I'm happy to do at least a portion of my purchasing from people who are honest, give great service, and give back to us benefits above and beyond the retail transaction.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Jeph (July 3rd, 2013)

jor412

Goulet offers service, packaging, and extras that are second to none. Their website is an extremely useful resource. I do agree with supporting certain retailers, Goulet being one of them. Still, sometimes, the difference isn't about pennies; sometimes, the difference is in dollars.

Thanks

Join their Ink Drop and REALLY get addicted... I've been a happy customer for a while...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I ordered a Goulet Pens #6 steel F for my Danitrio Komori last week, and it arrived Saturday. This $15 nib writes beautifully in my $800 pen. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Sometimes there are aspects of a purchase besides getting the absolute, to-the-penny lowest price. In the instance of the Goulets, I value very highly their business ethic, their interest in the pen community at large, and the fact that I am helping a small, family-run business to survive. The points made about purchasing a pen from a seller who also tunes it are well-placed, and it is also a value that adds to the transaction. Nonetheless, the mindset of trolling the web to get this or that for the precise least amount of money neglects these smaller operations, and I'm happy to do at least a portion of my purchasing from people who are honest, give great service, and give back to us benefits above and beyond the retail transaction.
    I struggle with whether to post this, because it's not meant to be a knock on the excellent Goulets or any of their fans. I buy from all these businesses and appreciate them all. But I do have to say that I think those very same virtues apply to a lot of pen and ink retailers. Honesty, ethics, great service, willingness to help customers, interest in the pen community and being a small business -- that fits isellpens, ipenstore/Streetfair, Jetpens, The Writing Desk, and in my experience bigger bricks and mortar stores like Fountain Pen Hospital or Bertram's Inkwell or Pen Boutique. And others I'm forgetting. Most of them are small and owned by one family; Jetpens is owned by a group of friends. Maybe they just aren't very skilled at social media or projecting that image. Just at random, here's something I came across about Pen Boutique: http://www.penboutique.com/t-charity.aspx

I spend too much on pens and inks for any sane person, so I appreciate the retailer who will give me a better price or free shipping, because it means my dollar goes farther. We have a lot of great options without compromising service or principles. Sometimes Goulet gets my business, and sometimes their price with shipping is too high. I don't think it's bad for people to say that. It's honest. Maybe the feedback will help them. Anyway, they seem to be doing well, luckily, and I'm sure it will continue.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

GourmetPens (May 6th, 2013), jde (July 27th, 2013), kaybee (August 27th, 2013), klpeabody (July 4th, 2013), Marsilius (August 19th, 2013), matveik (May 6th, 2013), seffrican (May 6th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Laura, I think that is a fair viewpoint, and don't think anyone, even the Goulet's would be offended. The pen world is a little odd, because - in the big scheme of things - it's pretty small. Especially with forum and mailing list traffic, you get to know "the usual suspects", and one tries to be fair in their business. Or, I should say, I do. When it seems appropriate, I try to send a little business to various places, but I also have a bit of a loyalty gene.

Another area is repair. There are only so many repair people, and one weighs the various data points: reputation, length of time in the business, turnaround time, pricing, etc. Through the forums, I've gotten to speak and feel comfortable with a number of them, and as a result, I don't send all my pens to one place, but end up working with a few different people. I try to help people out by sending them my business, while also looking at my needs and bottom line.

So, all in all, the more we can keep all these people in the fold, and foster a *healthy* sense of competition, the better for all involved.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

GourmetPens (May 6th, 2013), klpeabody (July 4th, 2013), Laura N (May 6th, 2013), thagbert (May 6th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Laura, I think that is a fair viewpoint, and don't think anyone, even the Goulet's would be offended. The pen world is a little odd, because - in the big scheme of things - it's pretty small. Especially with forum and mailing list traffic, you get to know "the usual suspects", and one tries to be fair in their business. Or, I should say, I do. When it seems appropriate, I try to send a little business to various places, but I also have a bit of a loyalty gene.

Another area is repair. There are only so many repair people, and one weighs the various data points: reputation, length of time in the business, turnaround time, pricing, etc. Through the forums, I've gotten to speak and feel comfortable with a number of them, and as a result, I don't send all my pens to one place, but end up working with a few different people. I try to help people out by sending them my business, while also looking at my needs and bottom line.

So, all in all, the more we can keep all these people in the fold, and foster a *healthy* sense of competition, the better for all involved.
    Exactly, and you put it so much better than I did.

Thanks

Hey, many of the companies with great deals on pens are small as well, and just as honest. I do appreciate a family business, but I don't buy because I sympathize with the seller.
    Just ordered 3 Diamine Inks from the Goulets: Asa Blue, Soft Mint (YAY!!), Beau Blue (we'll see ).
    Will