Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just popping in... part 1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 659 Posts

Default Re: Just popping in... part 1

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I'm sure some of you have noticed that there is a current thread over on the other site that is asking for a comparison between there and here.

No, actually I hadn't. For your avowed distaste for FPN you seem to spend a lot of time ther.

I take exception to this on two points.

1. There is no statistical truth in the statement that "... careful moderation..." is "... one of the reasons why FPN has grown to the size it is.

Were you going to post some statistical proof for your assertion?

2. The statement "Some people don't like rules, and get rather testy about it when they are enforced." is just so disingenuous as to be offensive.

You did note he said "some?" You realize that you are asserting that no one dislikes rules and gets testy? And that you provide no "statistical truth" for your assertion?
    We got the point that you dislike FPN the first several times you made it. The post here has no pen content, and has as its byproduct driving more traffic to FPN.Please consider voicing your opinions in on of the Off Topic threads.
    Be careful or you'll be banned by FPGeeks next!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Seems to me that this is great free advertising for FPG....I anticipate a a lot of curious visitors during the next few days..now everybody be on their best behaviour

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ian1964 For This Useful Post:

penwash (September 18th, 2017)

Thanks

FWIW, I am one of the registered, and I suppose "active", members on FPN. Registered there when I just got into the hobby, simply because it's the most popular forum and pops up first in the Google search. As I learned the landscape a bit, I registered here, though I mostly post on Reddit. Don't think I posted on FPN even once. So much for the stats.

The story of a "mainstream" and several "alternative" forums happens over and over in every hobby. The mainstream ones are such because the owners try to make them bland but inoffensive, because it's easier to attract users and monetize. Along the way, something inevitably offends a group of people, be it selling out, new owners enforcing unwelcome rules, or general d*ckery, and they leave and start anew. Hence you got FPN, Head-Fi, and Watchuseek vs FPG, Head-Case/SuperBestAudioFriends, and e.g. International Watch League. Members who are actively contributing to the collective knowledge usually don't care and contribute everywhere.

Speaking of Ron Zorn, I've never been a customer but once emailed him out of the blue with a question, and he sent me a very nice reply, and even scanned a page from a repair manual. A gentleman and a scholar.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Just damn Boring.

Move along, nothing to see here.

There are some good people on there and there are those for which the word tedious could be redefined.

It seems pretty stupid to me that people sit at a distance and poke fingers.

If the identity of FPG is to complain about FPN then thats a sad state of affairs.
    Last edited by Fermata; October 10th, 2017 at 12:05 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Bob (October 24th, 2017), Dreck (November 27th, 2017), welch (October 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    FWIW, I am one of the registered, and I suppose "active", members on FPN. Registered there when I just got into the hobby, simply because it's the most popular forum and pops up first in the Google search. As I learned the landscape a bit,...
    The story of a "mainstream" and several "alternative" forums happens over and over in every hobby. ... Members who are actively contributing to the collective knowledge usually don't care and contribute everywhere.
    I think you're right. In another hobby there was a forum I belonged to that self destructed spectacularly over an election season due to politics. The moderator who had inherited the forum from the founder increasingly asserted his political views; eventually the forum's host (Proboards) shut it down and all the collective wisdom was lost forever. At the end myself and a number of others set-up alternative competing forums. One became the dominate one, but the old membership was split, permanently I think. Although a certain very active cohort soldiered on. The ugliness poisoned my view of the hobby and I drifted away leaving someone else to moderate the forum I set up.

I belong to both FPG & FPN too and so far both have been welcoming & informative. I did detect an undercurrent and this thread shed some light for me.

Pax,
    John

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFB For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 13th, 2017), Marsilius (October 13th, 2017)

Thanks

I have been on FPN since 2013, I donīt have an opinion about the forum as a whole, because I only read and participate in the few sub-forums that really interest me.
    So far, not a single problem, nice people in general.

I did give up on FPB/FPnuts, while trying to be helpful to another member who had a question, I got a very rude answer from a moderator.

Thanks

That other site is dying, you can see it. I had a hiatus from forums for about 4 years (gets to a point where no-one is discussing anything you haven't read before), returned to 'there' and nothing had changed - just a load of fairies in a circle-jerk discussing the same irrelevancies, with plenty of snobbery and shaming sprinkled on top.

Strange bunch, over there.