Thread: Frustrated with Shaeffer Touchdown

Thanks

Default Frustrated with Shaeffer Touchdown

I thought replacing the sac was the trick but no luck. I didn't replace the one ring because it looked okay. Still not sucking up water, so I thought I might look closer at the nib, feed, and breather tube. As you can see from the pictures the breather tube is not straight in the section. I have seen some nib and feeds that twist out for touchdowns. When I tried this one there was a scary cracking noise and now the nib will wobble but no luck on the feed. It has sat overnight in water and several cycles through the ultrasonic cleaner. Can this nib and feed be removed? Can I fix the wobble? Can the breather tube be fixed? Thanks for your help. Today I get the feeling everything I touch is bound for disaster. 20170924_173615_HDR_01.jpg20170924_173659_HDR.jpg20170924_173533_HDR.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: Frustrated with Shaeffer Touchdown

How did you determine that the back O-ring still works? In all of the Sheaffer touchdown I restored, the ring has hardened and in no way would provide the necessary vacuum.

The breather tube isn't always straight, I've seen breather tubes that looks like yours, but it works just fine.

I'd try replacing the O-ring first.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (September 25th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

When doing a restoration, replacement of all degradable parts is essential. It makes no economic sense not to, and it saves hair.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; September 24th, 2017 at 10:52 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    How did you determine that the back O-ring still works? In all of the Sheaffer touchdown I restored, the ring has hardened and in no way would provide the necessary vacuum.

The breather tube isn't always straight, I've seen breather tubes that looks like yours, but it works just fine.

Okay, but unfortunately I have caused the nib to wobble. How do I reset it? Can these be removed?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Okay, but unfortunately I have caused the nib to wobble. How do I reset it? Can these be removed?

We've restored into writing condition a few TDs by now, including three snorks.

Nib loose or section loose? If section, build up a couple thin layers of shellac and let dry until the fit is tighter. Do not shellac the section in.

If the nib is loose, how? A photo would help. Those are niiiice nibs, by the way. They write beautifully.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (September 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I have heard these nibs can be really nice as well, that was why I was so ticked at myself that I may have screwed it up. The section is not loose, it is the nib. After me trying to twist it out, I have caused the top of the nib to move left and right over the feed, if I apply just a little bit of pressure to the nib. I assumed this mean't that I had pulled it out of place a little bit, hopefully that I didn't cause the base of the nib to break. Which would explain why it is now loose. I don't see how I could knock the nib out, considering the fact the breather tube is in the way, and the bottom of the feed is so far up inside the section.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Thanks for your help. I have heard these nibs can be really nice as well, that was why I was so ticked at myself that I may have screwed it up. The section is not loose, it is the nib. After me trying to twist it out, I have caused the top of the nib to move left and right over the feed, if I apply just a little bit of pressure to the nib. I assumed this mean't that I had pulled it out of place a little bit, hopefully that I didn't cause the base of the nib to break. Which would explain why it is now loose. I don't see how I could knock the nib out, considering the fact the breather tube is in the way, and the bottom of the feed is so far up inside the section.
    From my better half, who does all the REAL restoration work while I squint at the nibs:

"I fully agree with the other posters that he should replace the old o-ring and make sure the new one is lightly coated with silicone grease.

If possible, he should try knocking out the nib and feed, if he has an appropriate hollow tube (that fits over the breather tube) to use with a knockout block. Otherwise, try to manually push the nib back in a bit to get it properly seated.

If he hasn’t already looked at Richard Binder’s web page on How to Restore the Touchdown Filling System, he should."

Hope any of this helps.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 26th, 2017)

Thanks

If the nib is loose enough to wobble and it is an 'open' nib (i.e. which it is, and not conical), then it is not set in fully. The nib and feed must be pushed back into the section until they are seated in place. (That's just common pen repair stuff) However, before you do that, you should take a loupe and look *very* carefully around the entire front of the section to make certain you haven't cracked it, which will cause the nib/feed to be loose. If no crack, proceed with trying to press them deeper to seat them properly.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If the nib is loose enough to wobble and it is an 'open' nib (i.e. which it is, and not conical), then it is not set in fully. The nib and feed must be pushed back into the section until they are seated in place. (That's just common pen repair stuff) However, before you do that, you should take a loupe and look *very* carefully around the entire front of the section to make certain you haven't cracked it, which will cause the nib/feed to be loose. If no crack, proceed with trying to press them deeper to seat them properly.
    I will try this first, but if I can't get them pushed back in using force from my hand, do you recommend trying to knock them out and reinserting? The previous post mentions getting a tube that will fit over breather tube to get to the feed to knock it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I will try this first, but if I can't get them pushed back in using force from my hand, do you recommend trying to knock them out and reinserting? The previous post mentions getting a tube that will fit over breather tube to get to the feed to knock it out.

Read carefully: I asked you to look for cracks in the section. Don't do anything until you are certain of that. Next, you try simple hand pressure, using (maybe) some rubber gripping material and placing the thumb on the top of the nib and the tip of the index finger under the feed, and applying even and gentle force to push them into the section. Before doing so, I would gradually and moderatly heat the section with a dry heat source, no warmer than you can *easily* place the section on your lip without burning.

When doing repairs of this level, you really do have to follow certain calibrated steps, because if you don't you may either not diagnose the issue correctly or (worse) totally fuck up something.

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (September 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I believe the breather tube is not supposed to be straight. Pretty sure every one of the dozen or so I've seen had a gentle curve downwards (i.e. downwards when the pen is oriented nib up). You can see it here in Karl's photo:

I never felt the need to do this, but if you need confirmation that the o-ring seal is the issue, you can test the sac by squeezing directly on it to see if it will fill before put the sac protector on and install the barrel. Reapply talc or graphite to the sac before final assembly.

I concur with the advice to see if you can get the nib back in place without knocking out the nib and feed. The breather tube removes from the feed, but it may be stuck in there, and the less one screws around with vintage hard rubber feeds, the better. (This is not to say that I would follow my own advice in the matter. )
    Last edited by mhosea; September 26th, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
    --
    Mike

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the information on the nib. I tried to carefully push back on it and the feed together. I did feel it move a little, and the nib doesn't wobble anymore. Next issue, I took everyone's advice and removed the o ring. It didn't fall apart and I squeezed it and pinched it. It didn't break under these conditions. I put it back in and then put some grease on it and the metal tube. I don't know if I have the correct sac size, but I had one that came of a small button duofold I am currently not using. It fit snug on the section and seems to fit well in the sac protector. I shellaced the sac on, put everything back together, and still no luck sucking up water. I did try squeezing the sac and top section in the water, which did result in some suction into the sac. I guess now I will just try breaking down and purchasing a new sac and o ring and cross my fingers. Anybody have a good source for these? I tried wood bin. But they told me there was a minimum $10 purchase.

Thanks

I don't know if you are located in Canada (because woodbin), but I know Pendemonium has prepacked sets of o-rings and sacs for Touchdown, Snorkel and PFM pens. Makes it easy to get everything you need.

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (September 27th, 2017)

Thanks

There are many things you could try. I normally buy from Indy Pen Dance. It's one of the cheapest place to get repair supplies. The shipping is $6 I believe. You can also try vintagepens if you just want a couple. The shipping is $2 for small items so it could be potentially better. They also sell on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Tou...19.m1438.l2649

Not affiliated.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmd For This Useful Post:

Joseph B (October 14th, 2017), Linkinyeah (October 1st, 2017)