Thread: Can't get smooth flow in fountain pen

Thanks

Default Can't get smooth flow in fountain pen

Hi all,

I received a fountain pen as a gift two weeks ago. Been using it since. I believe it is a Waterman charleston ivory (from the research that I've done). When writing with it, I can't seem to get smooth flow going. It comes and goes and cuts off randomly. It especially cuts off when starting a new word that begins with a vertical line (L, P, B etc). But once I get to the second letter, it's fine again....Anyone know what it could be?

I use waterman mysterious blue ink in the converter that came with the pen. The nib is a Medium.
    I've tried letting the converter and nib soak in water (and a drop of dishwashing detergent) for 30 mins then rinsing and drying overnight. It doesn't seem to have helped. I will try to post a link to a photo and vid of the me using the pen

Thanks

Default Re: Can't get smooth flow in fountain pen

Here's a link to me holding the pen at the angle I write and a video of what I was talking about. And yes.... I'm lefty ;P

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cq3glwj1r...2bHC1xFfa?dl=0

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

First, switch to a cartridge and see if the problem continues.

Second, it looks like you have a Death Grip on that sucker. Relax. You just need to keep the pen from rotating.

Third, it seems you are writing with your wrist instead of your whole arm. That tends to change the angle of the nib at the paper.

Thanks

I have tried cartridges. The pen came with one that I used for the first few days. The problem was there with the cartridge as well.

As for the grip, I will hold it lighter and give it a try. I will also start writing with my arm rather than wrist. Will provide updates.

Thank you for the tips!