Thread: Hi from the big apple!

Thanks

Default Hi from the big apple!

Hi all!

I starting using a fountain pen about four years ago when I bought a Safari, some Noodler's black and a Rhodia pad. I've not indulged too much in other pens just yet, but writing with a fountain pen has brought a lot of joy and thus persistence in choosing to write long-hand (I'm a computer science PhD student, so between programming, writing papers and normal e-mail stuff, I'm barely off the computer if I don't force it). I've particularly found journaling to be rewarding over the last few years.

I recently started exploring more inks and am gearing up to treat myself to a nicer pen when I reach a milestone in my graduate studies (probably a Lamy 2000 or Diplomat Aero). As a result I've been pouring over pen reviews and blogs (shout out to SBRE Brown who was helped me miss many-a-deadline at this point).

What occasions do you all find to write by hand?

Cheers!
    Amit

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Default Re: Hi from the big apple!

Greetings from the Lone Star Planet. For a long answer to your question, look for the "What Do You Write" thread hereabouts.

Short answer, I journal daily and have dozens of letters in exchange with other FPGeeks.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Welcome. I write endless little notes to myself until I realize that I need to get it in printed form to ave to get it on the computer. I like to draw, too.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Welcome! I have a Lamy Vista in my pocketbook and I use that to fill out any paperwork I need to complete. Currently at home, I only have one pen at the table that I use to write anything and everything depending upon what I am doing at the time. I started playing a few video games again and I have a few pages of information for that

Thanks

Welcome.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Every program, every network, every website I ever created began with paper & pen.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum pages from Saskatoon. Amit, there are daily occassions a plenty in public service to sign letters, and contracts and some other legal instruments and a juicy wet signature does help leave our mark. increasingly a journal or notebook is still part of many collaborative meetings. Smart boards, laptops for everyone and we all many of us anyway still grab a pad or notebook of paper for our cursively written notes or scribbles. there was a time when i had abandoned the notebook and put all my eggs in to the digital basket carrying a palm pilot and folding key board.....I was met with system glitches back then and many sideways glances as people did not take kindly to the cliquey clack on the keyboards....Ironically I was the young Gen X in the 90's using digital and have drifted toward encouraging new and better digital tools and struggle now to keep up with a blog at work to stay in touch with the 200 or so employees I try to offer leadership today.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Welcome from Brooklyn!

I started using fountain pens for schoolwork as a kid (it was already well into the ball point dark ages - mid 1970s - but we had fountain pens in the house and I was curious about them), continued using them through college, found myself traveling for work and writing very long letters home several times a week (this was before everyone had an email account). Now I have more pens than time to write and I don't travel for work anymore so the writing has been reduced to lists and notes that I write around the house. I still write letters in longhand to my parents once in a while because I enjoy it, but they often reply via email!

Thanks

Hi Amit