Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fountain pen community super survey

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Re: Fountain pen community super survey

Quote Originally Posted by RustyDarkMatter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyDarkMatter View Post
    I learned that the people on FPGeeks are a lot less friendly than on reddit, Facebook and twitter. I received zero negative comments let alone people down right attacking my personality making wild claims.
    Rusty, I have been quiet on this issue, but I see the core of the problem: Age groups.

Reddit (and I am talking specifically about /r/fountainpens, not the other hundreds of subreddits), are populated by young people, who have no qualms and are used to electronic surveys, google documents, and data-collection in general. This is the age-group who grew up with high-speed internet, and data analytics. This is also why you do not find a single questioning remarks about your survey.

FPG are populated by people who in general are in a different age group. Where internet, data analytics, electronic "Just because" surveys are all new things that requires some contextual explanation. Not because they are paranoid or lacking in understanding, it's just not part of their daily activities.

So for you to say that FPG members are unfriendly while comparing their questions to you against the unquestioning responses from Reddit and FB, is not very fair.

You have to know your demographic when you ask people to fill out your survey, correct?
    So for your next surveys, simply create two different introductions to address these two different age-groups.
    It could be as simple as that.

I took special attention to this when compiling my results you should be pleased to know FPgeeks is not the oldest average site. Facebook is. I have posted the results if you are interested. I broke down each website and their “reported” affiliated age groups as well as which site any given age group is most likely to be apart of
    Sure, I used the term age-group because that is the main differentiating factor. I am not at all implying that older people cannot or are not embracing the social media culture like Facebook. Of course many of them do. Just (probably) not the ones frequenting FPGeeks.

Your findings surprise me not.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Sure, I used the term age-group because that is the main differentiating factor. I am not at all implying that older people cannot or are not embracing the social media culture like Facebook. Of course many of them do. Just (probably) not the ones frequenting FPGeeks.

Your findings surprise me not.
    I wasn't implying that older people cannot / aren't embracing social media. I was only surprised because I thought Facebook was more dominated by people in their mid 30s and younger (being that's the age of college students at the time facebook was created and was college only etc...)

link to other forum post on FPgeeks that talks about the results: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...111#post222111
    Last edited by RustyDarkMatter; October 30th, 2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: formatting

Thanks

Thanks Rusty. I enjoyed your video. I look forward to futire developements on this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiff For This Useful Post:

RustyDarkMatter (November 7th, 2017)