Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain pen community super survey

Thanks

Post Fountain pen community super survey

Hello, everyone, I have done polls and questionnaires on different forums and websites and I always get some great responses, so instead of making many polls I decided to make a super survey so we can learn more about each other and our community.

Please take my survey and spread this survey around I want to get as much involvement to get the most accurate picture of our community.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Fountain pen community super survey

Why?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 8th, 2017), Paddler (October 9th, 2017), Woody (October 15th, 2017)

Thanks

A few reservations...

Some of the questions only give you one choice, so as I research several places to buy pens, the answer I give does not reflect my activity.
    I usually purchase in more than one place, but again one can only choose one answer.
    The more the survey is structured to allow multiple answers (as is done with some questions) then the more accurate picture of community activity.

One question is..."how many different colors of ink (major colors, not individual shades)" - what exactly? Do you own? No, because that is the next question. Do you like? use? Please clarify

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kevmid For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 8th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Why?
    My thoughts exactly.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevmid View Post
    A few reservations...

Some of the questions only give you one choice, so as I research several places to buy pens, the answer I give does not reflect my activity.
    I usually purchase in more than one place, but again one can only choose one answer.
    The more the survey is structured to allow multiple answers (as is done with some questions) then the more accurate picture of community activity.

One question is..."how many different colors of ink (major colors, not individual shades)" - what exactly? Do you own? No, because that is the next question. Do you like? use? Please clarify
    Exactly. I love the idea, but the survey needs some work before I would consider its results meaningful.
    some ideas...
    1. allow multiple answer selection on a number of questions
    2. replace some of the multiple choice with fill-ins (i.e for highly variable things like "what criteria (sic) is most important to you when considering a pen purchase?")

Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; October 8th, 2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Ok, just one other comment:

I took a look through a few pages. The document contains numerous spelling and grammar errors, you even have things like "Shaeffers". Outside of some basic problems with how the questions are framed (as some have pointed out above), I'm certainly not going to be passing this around to other people when it is done in such a messy manner. I don't hammer on people for their daily writing, but when you make a document that is supposedly gathering information from a 'large' audience, you need to do your homework and - at the very least - run it through spelling and grammar checkers if you don't have access to a qualified person to act as an editor.

If you want to be taken seriously, be serious about it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Deb (October 9th, 2017), fountainpenkid (October 9th, 2017), Paddler (October 9th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (October 9th, 2017), Woody (October 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RustyDarkMatter View Post
    Hello, everyone, I have done polls and questionnaires on different forums and websites and I always get some great responses, so instead of making many polls I decided to make a super survey so we can learn more about each other and our community.

Please take my survey and spread this survey around I want to get as much involvement to get the most accurate picture of our community.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

Thanks

enjoyed the survey thanks...........from an old timer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Please do not visit the link, I just scanned it with Scan.url and it may be related to a phishing attempt. Change your Google passwords.

Phishtank report: Verified Phishing – PhishTank currently reports this URL as actively engaging in phishing. Phishing is a forgery/imitation of another website, designed to trick people into sharing personal or financial information, possibly resulting in identity theft or other abuse.
    URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
    Verified: (?)

I apologize, this info is incorrect.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; October 9th, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I just Pm'd everyone in this thread with my post above except for fountainpenkid, your box is full. If this is incorrect, I apologize but the link is reported as a possible phishing attempt.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; October 9th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of data so I appreciate the effort to conduct a survey but I agree with the previous comments. I teach a graduate-level research methods course and if someone had submitted this survey for the class they would have received a very low grade (especially if it were a phishing scam).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Please do not visit the link, I just scanned it with Scan.url and it may be related to a phishing attempt. Change your Google passwords.

Phishtank report: Verified Phishing – PhishTank currently reports this URL as actively engaging in phishing. Phishing is a forgery/imitation of another website, designed to trick people into sharing personal or financial information, possibly resulting in identity theft or other abuse.
    URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
    Verified: (?)
    I'm not sure what part of the URL set off your phishing scanner, but it is a valid Google Doc url. If you are that worried, it does work on a locked down, clean browser.

Considering my ad blocker is breaking Scan.url's website, I'm not really inclined to believe their results. And when I run the url on PhishTank's website, I get "nothing known"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (October 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Phishtank so I'm not sure how they identify phishing scams. It wouldn't surprise me if some nefarious people used google surveys for phishing scams so maybe Phishtank associates any (or at least some) google surveys with attempted phishing.

The survey never asked for any time of personal information that could be used to harm those completing the survey so I'm not that worried about any malicious intent (I know there are other ways to get data from random links but I don't think that was the case here)

Thanks

Back in March there was a hack that could steal your credentials through a specially crafted Google docs link. I ran the link through a few more URL scanners (Norton and Kaspersky) and the link came up clean. I apologize for being a bit over cautious and I meant no harm.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Back in March there was a hack that could steal your credentials through a specially crafted Google docs link. I ran the link through a few more URL scanners (Norton and Kaspersky) and the link came up clean. I apologize for being a bit over cautious and I meant no harm.
    Oh, c'mon, that was all with good intention. I'm not a Luddite - my second degree is a Bachelor's in Computer Science. That said, it is hard for a lay person to keep up on every type of hack, every place to have things checked out, etc. I'm not in IT or software as an occupation and haven't been for a few years, and while I try to stay semi-vigilant, I can't be aware of every corner. As such, I appreciate when people look out for others.

Besides, it doesn't hurt me to change my password every so often.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

JFB (October 12th, 2017), KrazyIvan (October 9th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

why hasn't this dude come back to the thread?

I'm with Sir....NOPE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    You have read the thread? I wouldn't come back either. It's not exactly dripping with goodwill.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

JFB (October 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    You have read the thread? I wouldn't come back either. It's not exactly dripping with goodwill.
    There are more than one response in the thread. People can respond to individual posts. There have been several very good post such as "Why?" and constructive criticism such as pointing out spelling errors and how a teacher or professor would react to the survey itself.

Those should be addressed.

Thanks

That's just silly. There was nothing but justified critique, nothing personal, and if they had ANY interest in the subject matter and the outcome of a poll they would have actively engaged.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 10th, 2017), jar (October 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Of course I have. I don't see any reason why one wouldn't respond in a thread that one started, especially where one asks others to provide voluntary info to a very new member to the board. What's wrong with educating someone about the nature of asking others to provide polling info to off-site documents? He/she wants feedback; he/she gets it -- even the no votes. Can be useful info, too, right?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 10th, 2017)