Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIPPO is HERE!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Default HIPPO is HERE!

Arrived this morning!

This came in a sturdy custom box and included a slip-in backing for writing for those who use that sort of thing. The Hippo Purple is more like a Red Beans and Rice color, but nice. The notebook itself is not at all as bulky as you'd imagine; very flexible and convenient size. We like ! Hoping for a moss colored cover someday.

Last edited by VertOlive; October 11th, 2017 at 08:50 AM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (October 15th, 2017), da vinci (October 21st, 2017), earthdawn (October 15th, 2017), Faustine (October 11th, 2017), Jon Szanto (October 11th, 2017), KKay (May 6th, 2018), Marsilius (October 11th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (October 15th, 2017), southpaw52 (October 23rd, 2017), SquishyInk (October 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: HIPPO is HERE!

I've been watching them hit hands on IG, and got to play with the prototypes at the DC Pen Show. They are fantastic notebooks, and I may get one once my Seven Seas Writer is full.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 11th, 2017), Marsilius (October 11th, 2017), VertOlive (October 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Unfortunately, I chose the ivory, so I will be waiting a while.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    You and me both. They are very nice people so I'm exercising my patience glands to maximum levels.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (October 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Yay! So glad this got to you safely ^_^. I remember talking to you about the hippos while the KS was going on. I love the turquoise color more and more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in search of pens and ink, especially pinks and purples lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    I've been watching them hit hands on IG, and got to play with the prototypes at the DC Pen Show. They are fantastic notebooks, and I may get one once my Seven Seas Writer is full.
    What is IG?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Iron Gall.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    What is IG?
    Instagram

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I was looking into getting a couple but here is the pricing: $33 for the notebook PLUS $33 for shipping. Wait, there's more. If I buy two notebooks, then I can have the privilege of paying double the shipping cost too! Really disappointing. I've managed to find a source for Zequenz where the cost of shipping is significantly lower, but I'd really like to try both. And I cannot find an address to write to the Hippo Noto to discuss this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I was looking into getting a couple but here is the pricing: $33 for the notebook PLUS $33 for shipping. Wait, there's more. If I buy two notebooks, then I can have the privilege of paying double the shipping cost too! Really disappointing. I've managed to find a source for Zequenz where the cost of shipping is significantly lower, but I'd really like to try both. And I cannot find an address to write to the Hippo Noto to discuss this.
    You could try a Taroko Enigma (v4) notebook instead. A little bigger than the HippoNoto, at ISO A5, with 68gsm white Tomoe. Dotted or plain, 384 pages. I really like Taroko notebooks & Steve Chang (the shop owner) is great.
    He ships from Taiwan & the shipping cost is likely to be better for you than from the US. (As an example a notebook shipped to me in Australia was around US$10 & took about 2 weeks to arrive)
    Here's a link to his Etsy shop
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2904...omoe?ref=hp_rv

(With apologies for slight deviation from thread)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 6th, 2018), Silverbreeze (October 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks for that, ordering now! EDIT: ordered.

Would still like to try the Hippo though. If anyone has one in the US would you be so kind and weigh the book? I suspect that USPS 1st Class Int. will be a cheaper option than what the Hippos are charging.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 20th, 2017 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks

Would still like to try the Hippo though. If anyone has one in the US would you be so kind and weigh the book? I suspect that USPS 1st Class Int. will be a cheaper option than what the Hippos are charging.
    Please note that the Hippo product is *brand new*, being a result of a Kickstarter project. Also note that it has a positive but sad backstory related to the family and at this point is still a very personal project, not a big business effort. After the initial runs are done, we'll see if this becomes a regularly offered item.

Lastly, I don't think it particularly fair to slam them for shipping costs. I realize it bothers you a lot that things from other countries cost an awful lot to get to you, but when I started investigating what it costs to mail to NZ and AU I was horrified. I kept going back and thinking "there MUST be a more economical option for shipping/mailing" and I could never find anything. I ended up just *accepting* it is the cost that has been imposed, on one end, the other or both, and all I can do is find the lowest cost method and send it. Yes, it is expensive. And I seriously doubt the people behind Hippo are out to make a big buck off of their customers. When I mail stuff, the vast majority of it uses rates that, if high, seem reasonable. Occasionally, like to down under, I have to grimace and accept that as the cost of getting something to someone down there, and there isn't anything I can do about it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Sorry, not suggesting Hippo are trying to make a buck out of shipping, just that there are cheaper options available. When/if they go mainstream then perhaps they can explore or offer alternatives. I have a corporate alternative but it requires that the seller has a physical pick up point.

Thanks

Sorry, not suggesting Hippo are trying to make a buck out of shipping, just that there are cheaper options available. When/if they go mainstream then perhaps they can explore or offer alternatives. I have a corporate alternative but it requires that the seller has a physical pick up point.
    But you don't know if they explored the options or not. When my package arrives (I happened to choose the one that ended up having production delays) I will weight it and check with my local post office, who are very helpful, what the most economical mailing is. As I have with all packages outside of the U.S.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Fair enough. It will be interesting to know the weight. I went for the Taroko Enigma. Shipping was $10. It's coming from about 1,000 miles closer.

Thanks

I apologize for the high cost of shipping! The lowest that I could find to ship internationally (aside from Canada) is $23.00 for a first class package. Shopify for some reason doesn’t always calculate it as such, so I send out manual invoices. Two books are around $38 to ship though, which sucks but it’s better than double.

If you have any questions I’m happy to answer them at info@hipponoto.com or here.

International shipping has been a huge hurdle for us this entire project. We are working on solutions though!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Please note that the Hippo product is *brand new*, being a result of a Kickstarter project. Also note that it has a positive but sad backstory related to the family and at this point is still a very personal project, not a big business effort. After the initial runs are done, we'll see if this becomes a regularly offered item.

Lastly, I don't think it particularly fair to slam them for shipping costs. I realize it bothers you a lot that things from other countries cost an awful lot to get to you, but when I started investigating what it costs to mail to NZ and AU I was horrified. I kept going back and thinking "there MUST be a more economical option for shipping/mailing" and I could never find anything. I ended up just *accepting* it is the cost that has been imposed, on one end, the other or both, and all I can do is find the lowest cost method and send it. Yes, it is expensive. And I seriously doubt the people behind Hippo are out to make a big buck off of their customers. When I mail stuff, the vast majority of it uses rates that, if high, seem reasonable. Occasionally, like to down under, I have to grimace and accept that as the cost of getting something to someone down there, and there isn't anything I can do about it.
    Thank you for the kind words Jon

We definitely are not trying to rip anyone off shipping wise. International shipping is just expensive from the USA.

The weight of the book is 0.75KG, it’s definitely not a light package, due especially to the quality of packaging we ended up using. The boxes are very sturdy and meant to protect the hippos in transit, however they also add weight. Compared to how I see other notebooks packaged, these feel very substantial.

For the ivory books we are now weighing options for perhaps using a different packaging method that will be lighter and yet still strong. The sad thing is that international first class package still starts at around $23.00, so despite making it weigh a bit less, it would still be this cost to ship.

The next discounts from USPS were offered for significant volume, and we aren’t there yet sadly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    It will be worth it
    This is a valid competitor to the Seven Seas Writer imho

Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyInk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

We definitely are not trying to rip anyone off shipping wise. International shipping is just expensive from the USA.

The weight of the book is 0.75KG, it’s definitely not a light package, due especially to the quality of packaging we ended up using. The boxes are very sturdy and meant to protect the hippos in transit, however they also add weight. Compared to how I see other notebooks packaged, these feel very substantial.

For the ivory books we are now weighing options for perhaps using a different packaging method that will be lighter and yet still strong. The sad thing is that international first class package still starts at around $23.00, so despite making it weigh a bit less, it would still be this cost to ship.

The next discounts from USPS were offered for significant volume, and we aren’t there yet sadly.

I will be honest when dealing with Tomoe River paper I do not find you packaging bulky or overly excessive

For those on Ivory Train

It’s a gift box style package like what Moleskine numbered limited notebooks use. Rather than the slip cases Seven Seas uses

Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyInk View Post

Of course. Look, any reasonable person could read your story and specs and know that you were people doing your level best to offer something to the world. No one is forced to purchase. It frankly pissed me off that the business was cast in a bad light in any fashion. You still have my support (in advance of receiving that lovely 2nd version!) and I hope that the rest of the journey is smooth sailing!

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (October 25th, 2017), Silverbreeze (October 22nd, 2017), SquishyInk (October 22nd, 2017)