Thread: Ink flow issue on Esterbrook

Thanks

Default Ink flow issue on Esterbrook

I recently got an Esterbrook Safari in a lot on eBay. I cleaned it by hand and in the ultrasonic cleaner and still can't get any ink to flow through feed. I cleaned out the Estie cartridge that was in the pen. Should I just buy a new nib on eBay or is there something else I can do?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Ink flow issue on Esterbrook

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    I recently got an Esterbrook Safari in a lot on eBay. I cleaned it by hand and in the ultrasonic cleaner and still can't get any ink to flow through feed. I cleaned out the Estie cartridge that was in the pen. Should I just buy a new nib on eBay or is there something else I can do?

Try dip testing it and seeing how long it lasts. If it doesn't work well, then flow problem. how closed are the tines? How close is the nib to the feed? Is the feed misaligned? If it works, then check out your cartridge nipple (or whatever it's called)—is it blocked? Does the feed need to be reoriented?

I've never used an Esterbrook Safari, but with any pen I guess that's what I would check.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-Antonsen View Post

Try dip testing it and seeing how long it lasts. If it doesn't work well, then flow problem. how closed are the tines? How close is the nib to the feed? Is the feed misaligned? If it works, then check out your cartridge nipple (or whatever it's called)—is it blocked? Does the feed need to be reoriented?

I've never used an Esterbrook Safari, but with any pen I guess that's what I would check.

Good advice.

OP, what fluid did you use in the USC? It's possible that there's dried up India ink in the pen. Some Rapidoeze ($10 on Amazon) might be a good choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMQG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon-Antonsen View Post

Good advice.

OP, what fluid did you use in the USC? It's possible that there's dried up India ink in the pen. Some Rapidoeze ($10 on Amazon) might be a good choice.
    I used homemade pen flush( amonia and distilled water) as well as plain distilled water. I would have never thought about India ink being the culprit.

Thanks

Try blowing through the pen.
    If you cannot blow through it, the ink channel is CLOGGED, and needs more cleaning.

OLD dry ink can take a LONG time to clean out. You may have to run it MANY cycles in the USC, and soak a LONG time (a week or more), and more USC cleaning.
    Can you unscrew the nib assembly?
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com