Thread: Thank you Mike it Work!

Thanks

Default Thank you Mike it Work!

I was going to use these both for a week or so before writing a review, but I also pay for rush work so I'm not good at waiting.

I just received two Visconti's I sent to Michael Masuyama at Mike it Work and I am excited. Please forgive the pictures taken from with my phone and my handwriting as I was trying to slow down but couldn't. Both pens have only been dip tested.

The first is a Opera Master with a Cursive Italic grind, very smooth. This B nib had a bit of a hard time starting previously due to what I think was a baby bottom. The flow has been reduced to what I would consider a 6 or 7 from what was probably an 8 or 9. This allows the pen to glide very nicely and provides plenty of ink for shading during a little flexing.

The second is a HS with an RNCI grind. The nib started out as a 23k medium with a ton of flex/softness. It is now much closer to a fine with some great character. Any pressure at all causes this nib to flex a bit so it will take some focus to try and curb that habit. I tried to slow down using this pen but it was too fun and I couldn't so sorry for the writing sample.

These are my second and third pens with nibs customized by Michael, but the first two I have sent to him. I am happy with his communication...many emails all replied to promptly, the speed at which the work was completed, the professionalism, the packaging and last but not least the work. I have zero issues recommending him and will likely send more pens his way very soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InkyAccountant For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 20th, 2023), dfo (October 16th, 2017)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: Thank you Mike it Work!

I cannot stop praising his work. Mike makes nibs great again. How does the RNCI nib feel in comparison to the other italic? I have been interested in this offering.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

With the limited time I have had on them so far, (there is no way I am getting any work done for the next few hours and I just write about nothing with various inks) I can hear and feel the writing more with the cursive italic if that makes sense. Not that I have to write slow with either of these nibs, they both glide, but it feels like I am writing at a faster pace with the Cursive Italic, not trying to slow as much. That may be due to the softness/felxiness of the 23k nib. The writing of the RNCI has more character than a stub but isn't as crisp as the CI. It is hard to compare especially as the RNCI is on such a soft/flexy nib. I feel like I will need more practice with it to be comfortable with even though it is probably somewhere between a stub and a CI,

Through magnification the RNCI appears like it sweeps up to the top of the nib smoothly, where as the CI seems to have more of a defined point where a grind from the top of the nib was made to meet the grind from the other side. If I can find a way to take a picture through magnification I will. Sorry about the description, I don't know much about nib grinding beyond the basics of stub is smoother than italic. I do have a Nakaya from Nibs and the previous owner had the soft M nib ground to a cursive italic by John, and I have to say that under magnification, the RNCI from Mike looks much closer to the CI from John than the other CI Mike did for me on the Visconti.

Thanks

Mike did an excellent job on my HS Bronze a few years back - - in its original condition the pen would skip quite a bit. Mike transformed the skipping 23k medium palladium nib into a smooth writing stub. He has worked on about a half dozen of my pens over the past few years, and I've never been disappointed with the results.

Thanks

Mikes done so many of my nibs I've lost count.

What's his wait time (backlog) these days? I've got like 4 nibs I was looking at sending off to him.

Dave

Thanks

Walking is one of the best ways to stay healthy and fit, and having the right footwear is essential for a comfortable and safe walk. Whether you're walking for pleasure or exercise, it's important to choose the right shoes for the job. https://backpaincareguides.com/best-tens-unit-for-back-pain/

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Man, I have had a lot of pens done by Mike and they are pretty much my favorite nibs. However, in reference to the previous spam post...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Jon, it's not a spambot. It's the trollbot. He'll be looking to see reaction and getting off on it. Sick lonely dude & etc.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 19th, 2023), dneal (March 20th, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 19th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 20th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Jon, it's not a spambot. It's the trollbot. He'll be looking to see reaction and getting off on it. Sick lonely dude & etc.
    I am aware of the situation. Many of these posts have appeared since I last responded. I promise not to respond often.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 20th, 2023)