Thread: Sample storage

Thanks

Default Sample storage

I have a lot of samples and I don't care for the test tube racks. I have my samples in a gallon zip lock bag and they are unorganized. How do you store your samples?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Sample storage

We aren't doing anything fancy. All of the sample vials are in the test tube racks organized by color and stacked on a shelf out of the way. The racks aren't aesthetically pleasing, but I can't think of a better way to organize and store a bunch of test tube vials. It's not like anyone makes a good-looking test tube rack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 18th, 2017)

Thanks

A shotgun shell box: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...zWL&ref=plSrch

Closes tightly, keeps them in the dark, cheap, stackable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

KKay (October 21st, 2017)

Thanks

The racks I got hold twice as many as the shotgun shell box for the same price: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They're also decently stackable, but only on a stable surface that's not going to see much, if any vibrations.

The better looking ones are annoyingly expensive: https://smile.amazon.com/Eisco-Labs-...ube+rack&psc=1

Or get some foam, a 15mm hole punch, and a lunchbox. I have some samples stored that way in this lunch box: https://img.grouponcdn.com/stores/jZ...1/c700x420.jpg
    (yep... it's a very mature lunch box... )

I also have some stored in the round containers from the bulk food and deli stuff. Something like 15 or 20 of them fit in the medium height one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    The racks I got hold twice as many as the shotgun shell box for the same price: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They're also decently stackable, but only on a stable surface that's not going to see much, if any vibrations.

The better looking ones are annoyingly expensive: https://smile.amazon.com/Eisco-Labs-...ube+rack&psc=1

Or get some foam, a 15mm hole punch, and a lunchbox. I have some samples stored that way in this lunch box: https://img.grouponcdn.com/stores/jZ...1/c700x420.jpg
    (yep... it's a very mature lunch box... )

I also have some stored in the round containers from the bulk food and deli stuff. Something like 15 or 20 of them fit in the medium height one.
    I don't want the test tube holders. I don't care for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    I don't want the test tube holders. I don't care for them.

Fair enough, but I only posted it to point out that by the per vial storage solution, the shotgun boxes aren't as economical, though it would effectively hide the vials if that's your goal.

Also, kinda hard to come up with suggestions when we really don't know what about the vial rack that you don't like. You keep repeating that you don't care for them.

If its aesthetics, you can always just stuff them in a box or drawer.
    If you don't like the profile or height, you could always make your own with a piece of wood and a drill.
    If you don't want to actually see the vials, then either the shotgun shell boxes or just stuff them in a drawer or box.
    If you want to be able to read the labels on the side, you can probably tape or glue some magnets onto the vials and attach them to a metal wall or strip.
    If you want to be able to transport the whole thing at a moment's notice, you could create a foam insert with a punch for a box/case of some sort.

Basically, what do you want to "do" with them? Without that insight, we're pretty much just shooting in the dark here.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post

Good option if you don't have many sample vials, but I've already filled one rack and could easily fill a second.

Thanks

I have one of those test tube rack things. I don't like it because each one only holds so many vials. I want something that can hold all my vials without having to buy multiple racks. I have close to 100 vials.

Thanks

I have one of those test tube rack things. I don't like it because each one only holds so many vials. I want something that can hold all my vials without having to buy multiple racks. I have close to 100 vials.

They hold either 50 or 60 vials. So you would only need 2 and you would be able to store all of your vials. Anything else will need more than 2 racks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post

Good option if you don't have many sample vials, but I've already filled one rack and could easily fill a second.
    I actually got the 25-round one so that I limit myself to 25 samples at a time but 50- and 100-round boxes also exist.
    Another possible approach: one 25-round box per manufacturer or per color family.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Like Naimitsu said I'd drill 25 x 4 holes in a thick enough piece of wood so only the top third of the vial sticks out. That way you can have it horizontal or even hang vertical on a wall.
    Colour coding the caps by inking hole reinforcement stickers or other small paper/cloth stickers that fit on the cap gives a quick easy guide to the ink you need and are easily removeable.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

I took part in a group buy for ink samples and decided to make something to store them. Looking around auction sites I found a blank decoupage box I added a shelf whit holes to hold the vials.
    The simple option is to paint it inside and out I used wood stain veneer and suede to make mine a little more up market.

IMG_4676_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_4818_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The box cost around £10 I had everything else, drilling the holes for the vials was the most difficult part.

My intention was to have more of these boxes unfortunately issues with my hands make filling pens from vials very difficult so it has never been used.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

kevmid (October 19th, 2017), KKay (October 21st, 2017), naimitsu (October 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    I took part in a group buy for ink samples and decided to make something to store them. Looking around auction sites I found a blank decoupage box I added a shelf whit holes to hold the vials.
    The simple option is to paint it inside and out I used wood stain veneer and suede to make mine a little more up market.

The box cost around £10 I had everything else, drilling the holes for the vials was the most difficult part.

My intention was to have more of these boxes unfortunately issues with my hands make filling pens from vials very difficult so it has never been used.
    Perfect!

When drilling the holes for the vials, did you set up some sort of special rig in order to make them all line up perfectly?

Thanks

Ah, yes. I did end up with 2 racks because of this reason. (I think I have closer to 200 at this point... so cheap and collapsible are my main criteria for a rack).
    As Ahriman4891 mentioned, there are 100 round boxes, so that might work for you.

So far I love MY63's solution the best!
    The box is beautifully done

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

I use a clear acrylic lipstick holder for the vials I work with most often. The shotgun shell holders got too fussy, what with stacking and having to open.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

My method is a zip lock bag stuffed with sample vials, hidden away in a drawer. From time to time, I offer them to others, and what vials remain are emptied and rinsed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Perfect!

When drilling the holes for the vials, did you set up some sort of special rig in order to make them all line up perfectly?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chrissy I used a scrap piece of card actually I used two pieces I wanted a uniform gap around the edges once I had the centres I marked them with an awl using a sharpie to transfer the centre mark. Then yes I used a large drill to make the hole for the vials.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    My method is a zip lock bag stuffed with sample vials, hidden away in a drawer. From time to time, I offer them to others, and what vials remain are emptied and rinsed.
    Actually, I'm starting to think I may soon get to the zip lock bag stage myself.

Thanks

I also converted this former cutlery box to hold large numbers of sample vials

IMG_4649_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The top was damaged so I added a new veneer to cover it.

IMG_4645 by my0771, on Flickr