Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Organics Studio return!!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,001 Posts

Default Re: Organics Studio return!!

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Someone suggested to me that Organics Studio inks should be treated with Phenol to ensure they don't go mouldy.

Does anyone know a source for Phenol (Carbolic Acid) in the UK?
    Christy, phenol is a carcinogen. Handle with care and plenty of ventilation. A clove might be safer.
    Thank you. I've read about that, but it's still available in a throat spray over here. I have special ventilation and a special face mask from when I was restoring ceramics. So if I ever did manage to find any I would be really careful.

The only problem I can foresee with a clove is that once it's in the bottle, I won't be able to see it, so that it could be fished out again if it became necessary.

Thanks

Use a very fine thread (such as sewing thread which you can double, for better resistance) to hang the clove inside the bottle with, so that you can close the bottle with not trouble, and use a bit of scotch to glue the other end to the bottle (the best is for you to use a good length of thread so that you can glue it to the bottom of the bottle).
    Last edited by fountainpagan; November 9th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    Use a very fine thread (such as sewing thread which you can double, for better resistance) to hang the clove inside the bottle with, so that you can close the bottle with not trouble, and use a bit of scotch to glue the other end to the bottle (the best is for you to use a good length of thread so that you can glue it to the bottom of the bottle).
    Good idea. I think fishing line might work too. I expect it has higher abrasion resistance than thread and zero wicking properties.

You could also clean the under side of the cap and glue the string/thread/line there so the clove hangs straight down into the ink. No chance of the cap threads cutting your string and losing the clove in the ink. Down side is the clove coming out every time you open it and needing to be set on something absorbent to avoid a mess...unless you use 3x the length of fishing line that you need so you can set the cap next to the bottle and the clove is still in the bottle.

If I buy a bottle I may try this. For now I think I'm just grabbing a sample to decide whether or not I like any of them. I'm a sucker for sheen, so it's quite likely that I will.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 9th, 2017), fountainpagan (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Good idea. I think fishing line might work too. I expect it has higher abrasion resistance than thread and zero wicking properties.

You could also clean the under side of the cap and glue the string/thread/line there so the clove hangs straight down into the ink. No chance of the cap threads cutting your string and losing the clove in the ink. Down side is the clove coming out every time you open it and needing to be set on something absorbent to avoid a mess...unless you use 3x the length of fishing line that you need so you can set the cap next to the bottle and the clove is still in the bottle.

If I buy a bottle I may try this. For now I think I'm just grabbing a sample to decide whether or not I like any of them. I'm a sucker for sheen, so it's quite likely that I will.
    There exists "invisible" thread that will probably be thinner than fishing line, but is basically the same thing.
    They'll be similar in cost, but invisible thread comes in a shorter length and smaller packaging.
    The invisible thread will also hold a tighter knot, though a dab of hot glue on it probably wouldn't hurt. I would avoid super glue because it does have a tendency to flake if manipulated once dry.

And back to the ink... FWIW, I'm not a fan. I've tried a few samples, and they all write excessively dry for me. It's almost as bad as a plastic fork on styrofoam.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Both good ideas, fishing line and invisible thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

1 clove inside the botle can prevent mold.
    Is there any science behind this?

Thanks

Cloves have antiseptic properties.

There are many documents you can peruse. Enjoy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

KKay (November 15th, 2017)

Thanks

I should have listened to my wife. She dislikes Organics Studio inks because they are too dry. I ignored her warning and bought a sample of H.D. Thoreau Walden Pond and a bottle of Nitrogen. Neither one will go into rotation. Both inks dried up in the nib/feed every day. I had to use an eye dropper to add water to reconstitute them and get them working every time I attempted to write with them. The Walden Pond dried up enough to clog the slit between the tines and start flaking off like paint chips. Lovely colors, excessive sheen, but poor in-pen characteristics.

Pen was dry and I had been tapping on the page (as can be seen in the background). Being a more durable steel nib I applied a little pressure and rocked the pen back and forth to flex the tines. That's when the dried up ink flakes began breaking apart and working out from between the tines. All the specs on the paper are dried ink flakes.
    Last edited by Scooby921; December 6th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 6th, 2017), KKay (December 8th, 2017), Sammyo (December 13th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm kind of new at the exotic inks, so: What is it about the Organic inks that make them dry up and want a clove? What makes them different from other inks?

Thanks

I share Scooby921's experience. The nitrogen sample I got (from Scooby921 ) was left in a pen overnight... the next day, the pen would not write.
    I too needed water to get the ink flowing again.

I also agree with Migo984 that it is TOO MUCH SHEEN!
    It detracts from the ink and actually becomes unpleasant to use and read later.
    It might be ok for a fancy card in small doses, but again dip pen only, never in a pen again... to be fair though, I don't and won't ever own a bottle based on my own and others experiences.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLondon View Post
    I'm kind of new at the exotic inks, so: What is it about the Organic inks that make them dry up and want a clove? What makes them different from other inks?
    I think the dry property and the needing of a clove might be independent. I believe the clove suggestion was a means of slowing or preventing the growth of mold in the bottle of ink, and it would take a while for mold to form yet the ink is dry from the moment it leaves the production line. Interestingly the person or people behind Organics Studio inks recognize the deficiencies of their products and also sell a product called "Flo-plus" which is advertised to slow mold growth and improve ink flow properties. So they recognize that their products need a little help, but don't go as far as to just change their composition and add it to every ink they sell so no one needs to buy a separate product to fix and improve them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (December 17th, 2017)