Thread: Another sub-forum request.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Another sub-forum request.

Would it be possible to have a library sub-forum; a read only forum where particularly useful and informative threads could be moved.

As this forum evolves we are likely to have some very special threads (the current one on Vintage Italian Pens as an example) could be moved there once AG says it's ready.

The members could sponsor a thread for inclusion and if it has enough support it gets moved.

If the volume gets too high the library could be subdivided by subjects.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

cedargirl (May 1st, 2013), fountainpenkid (April 30th, 2013), trhall (September 23rd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: Another sub-forum request.

I think it is an interesting idea, although I find locked topics to be somewhat annoying in the fact that you can't ask questions on them and thus a new topic is started. I'm for it as long as the topics remain open.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Absolutely. Great idea, too! Do you think a wiki would be a better format for this type of info? I'm not saying we should have one or the other, we can certainly set up both.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I think it is an interesting idea, although I find locked topics to be somewhat annoying in the fact that you can't ask questions on them and thus a new topic is started. I'm for it as long as the topics remain open.
    I think what Jar is asking is that threads that have had a good discussion and now have great content, be consolidated.

We have the ability to copy threads so we could leave the original thread open for discussion and have the real content locked in the new forum to keep things easy to read. It wouldn't be too difficult to link back to the original thread if you wanted to discuss it.

Thanks

The original thread is where you can ask questions. The library is for archive purposes like a pinned topic but without cluttering us sub-forums with lots of pinned topics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I think what Jar is asking is that threads that have had a good discussion and now have great content, be consolidated.

We have the ability to copy threads so we could leave the original thread open for discussion and have the real content locked in the new forum to keep things easy to read. It wouldn't be too difficult to link back to the original thread if you wanted to discuss it.
    Correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    The original thread is where you can ask questions. The library is for archive purposes like a pinned topic but without cluttering us sub-forums with lots of pinned topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Correct.
    Sounds great then!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Super idea.
    ...and any additional, meaningful content that develops in the open thread can be cut/paste into the archived thread. Better than a Wiki. They can get petty scatter brained.
    More work for the Admins, but major addition to the site.

Might be best to organize them along the same lines as the Forums are presently arranged. Maybe not the best way, but at least consistent. A click on Archives bring up a screen identical to Pens, Ink, Paper categories, with the possible addition of Pen Photos.

Sure would be nice to see a Vintage category included in Pens.
    Last edited by DanDeM; April 30th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Thanks

I'm for anything that makes consolidating and retrieving useful information easier!
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I get it now after reading this again...

I agree it's a great idea... maybe a link from the pinned thread to the one thats open for discussion.

Thanks

Fabulous idea Jar.

Don't know the amount of effort required to make this happen, but those types of threads and the info. contained likely will really grow this site.