Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enjoyment of the hobby with inexpensive pens

Thanks

Default Re: Enjoyment of the hobby with inexpensive pens

I think after a certain price point the returns diminish considerably. Eventually you're buying art rather than a tool.

I think under £50 there's a lot of fun to be had, then £50-£150 you can get a taste of luxury. Anything above this and you're buying jewelry.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urushi4u For This Useful Post:

Deb (November 5th, 2017), JFB (November 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by urushi4u View Post
    I think after a certain price point the returns diminish considerably. Eventually you're buying art rather than a tool.
    In my eye, there is nothing at all wrong with that. When people look at something like a fountain pen and see it in only one way they are missing a good part of the charm and fascination. I like my pens for a number of reasons, and just one of them is their functionality.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (November 26th, 2017), penwash (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Wing Sung 3008. Just ordered 4! I'm only out $16 if they are rubbish.
    That was pretty much my thought, too. After messing with them and filling two last night, just one bit of advice. All four of mine were very smooth on paper when dry, but one seemed to be a very wet writer. What I found is that in adjusting the nib, they appear to be made of very poor quality steel. It takes no effort to bend the tines, and I have no doubt that this nib could be splayed out by simply pressing hard on the page (not normal, but bearing down). So it is possible they'll occasionally get out of alignment, and if I see students on reddit picking them up, I have no doubt there will be a lot of bent nibs from drops. Other than the blind cap that turns the piston being a bit loose (I've see a few reports that 'newer' models don't exhibit this), it seems well made.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Wing Sung 3008. Just ordered 4! I'm only out $16 if they are rubbish.
    That was pretty much my thought, too. After messing with them and filling two last night, just one bit of advice. All four of mine were very smooth on paper when dry, but one seemed to be a very wet writer. What I found is that in adjusting the nib, they appear to be made of very poor quality steel. It takes no effort to bend the tines, and I have no doubt that this nib could be splayed out by simply pressing hard on the page (not normal, but bearing down). So it is possible they'll occasionally get out of alignment, and if I see students on reddit picking them up, I have no doubt there will be a lot of bent nibs from drops. Other than the blind cap that turns the piston being a bit loose (I've see a few reports that 'newer' models don't exhibit this), it seems well made.
    If safari nibs fit, I've got a few of those lying around...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks

If safari nibs fit, I've got a few of those lying around...
    If you want to offload a nib or two, drop me a note to jon at cellodrum dot com. Thanks!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

And don't forget the Pilot Varsity. Don't like the ink - pull the nib unit and fill'er up with your favorite. They're stupid smooth because of the size of the tipping - but a lot of fun!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

amk (April 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Incidentally just noticed in my Pendemonium Newsletter an Esterbrook J - great shape - medium nib. $30. Boom!

Thanks

Their steel nibs are meh, not bad just meh
    Got one on fleabay with a gold nib can’t remember the model number it’s basically a piston with a okay gold nib for <50

I have spent more then twice that on a nib upgrade so.. worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Here's my new batch of Wing Sung 3008 pens. I changed out the nib on the silver one for a Lamy F and filled it with Noodlers Antietem and already have written a couple of letters. So far, good enough for me. The wife has already almost claimed one of the greenish colored ones.

Not bad for $16.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by countrydirt; November 25th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately so I thought I might make a post about it. I am a firm believer that one can enjoy this hobby without buying expensive pens.
    I don't buy pens costing over $50 and the majority of my pens are Jinhao, other inexpensive pens. I also enjoy refurbishing vintage lever filler pens. I enjoy this hobby very much.
    Do you feel that one needs to have expensive pens to enjoy the hobby?
    I'm afraid I'm more a collector than a writer. I do use FP's for writing, but for that purpose I have a small box with about 8 pens ready and inked up to choose from.
    I'm also afraid I'll get into serious trouble with my wife spending my money on pens more than, say, $50,- a piece. So in the last 20 years I built quite a large a collection that almost entirely consists of - mostly vintage- pens that cost me < $20,-- with maybe some exceptions. The hunting, buying, restoring and displaying (for myself and my friends) always gave me a lot of satisfaction. Selling pens to other aficionados from time to time, with a certain profit, allow me to continue my hobby without spending the household income.
    So, yes! I agree for 100% with the title of your posting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lexaf; November 27th, 2017 at 07:29 AM.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lexaf For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 3rd, 2017), catbert (November 26th, 2017), countrydirt (November 26th, 2017), Dreck (November 30th, 2017), JFB (December 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (December 3rd, 2017), penwash (April 30th, 2018), Seattleite (December 6th, 2017), SIR (November 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Recent inexpensive arrivals that satisfy have been Jinhao 992 and Wing Sung 3008. Also good, but a little more pricey are the WS 698 and Caliarts Ego. The nibs on all of them have been pretty good out of the box and with so little invested are fair game for my attempts at re-grinds for something different.
    I have a number of 992s and just got my first Wing Sung 3008—it's a bit broader than I would prefer but so far it's a nice writer.

Pax,
    John

Thanks

I'm having great fun with inexpensive pens. My most expensive was a Parker Vector calligraphy set that cost around £10. Since then I've added Jinhao, Wing Sung, and Dollar, and I'm now waiting for a Baoer arriving in a few weeks. They're not heirloom pieces or investments, but I'm learning to tweak nibs and feeds, and most of them are perfectly good pens. For the price of disposable pens, I'm getting fountain pens that I enjoy using and playing around with. If they only last two years before disintegrating, then so be it. I'll still have had full value for my money. Heck, if they only lasted three months of everyday writing, I'd have got my money's worth.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (April 30th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 30th, 2018)

Thanks

I thought I was buying 1 Wing Sung X450. Turns out I bought 5 of them for $15. Looks like I have some giveaways for a few years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 30th, 2018), suzy01 (April 30th, 2018)