Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Letter to New FPGeeks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Open Letter to New FPGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by C-J View Post
    New member here; I joined last week. What types of posts would you like to see from us?

I come to these forums to learn and expand my horizons. I wish I could drop a ton of unique knowledge, but you're likely to be far better informed. I have some (in my estimation) pretty pens and I'm happy to take pictures and share my thoughts on them, but I fear that wouldn't really elevate the discussion.
    I always enjoy:

• seeing hand written posts, showing not only the tool but also the skill using our tools, it gives a post a very special unique touch.
    • seeing pictures from pens/writing tools.
    • seeing sketches and drawings
    • reviews of pens
    • reviews of inks
    • posts which shares personal experiences (with writing devices, art, calligraphy, inks,.....)

I don´t like:

• sale threads
    • dull threads like: What´s the best: pen,ink, blackest black,........
    • posts which do not have any useful information in it, just to reply to increase the post count

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    My answer to the previous thread was a challenge to myself to be more proactive in adding reviews and responding to threads. I cannot force others to add content, but I can do it myself.

Apparently TSherbs thinks he doesn't care, but he cared enough to stop on by and add a response.
    And you know what, I will join you.
    I have in the past try to come up with discussion topics, but there needs to be enough of us who are doing it for the initiative to work.

For instance:

If 7 of us commit to come up with, revive old threads, or respond to existing discussions once a week on different days, that means every day we have one live discussion that is not For Sale ad.

Sounds insignificant? True, but it's better than where we are today

The real question is, can we even do that much?

Sure we can do that. BE THE SEVEN!!!

I'll go first. My time is more limited these days, but here is a post I've been meaning to make: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...151#post222151

As a second effort, I spent some hours looking for a source for a new Sailor edition in order to share it with this forum: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...154#post222154

That's it for now; we have a few bodies in the back waiting to be buried!
    Last edited by VertOlive; October 29th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 29th, 2017)

Thanks

Cool Re: Open Letter to New FPGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    BE THE SEVEN!!!
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post222179

Old thread revived, here's to the seven degrees !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 29th, 2017)

Thanks

It's funny. I left FPN due to Members trying to become the moderator of the site, that it moderated or not moderated by the owners. I loved the FPGeeks content for about 3 years past 2012 when I joined. The community is basically becoming moderated by the masses here. I don't like it. If the actual moderator wants to put in place requirements for posts and sales on the site, it is there right as they "own the site" and pay for the hosting. On every sale, I have given back to FPGeeks to help with the costs. I will removing ALL of my sale items, please see me on eBay under "nmprofessional" for any members who have bought from me in the past. Makes me more and more want to start my own FP site, without everyone trying to "put down" everyone here. It is sad! Good bye FPGeeks.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davelindberg For This Useful Post:

s_t_e_v_e (November 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davelindberg View Post
    It's funny. I left FPN due to Members trying to become the moderator of the site, that it moderated or not moderated by the owners. I loved the FPGeeks content for about 3 years past 2012 when I joined. The community is basically becoming moderated by the masses here. I don't like it. If the actual moderator wants to put in place requirements for posts and sales on the site, it is there right as they "own the site" and pay for the hosting. On every sale, I have given back to FPGeeks to help with the costs. I will removing ALL of my sale items, please see me on eBay under "nmprofessional" for any members who have bought from me in the past. Makes me more and more want to start my own FP site, without everyone trying to "put down" everyone here. It is sad! Good bye FPGeeks.
    I've been here since 2013. I don't know you, and I don't know what "masses" you could be referring to here. Hardly anyone visits and posts. If your sales have gone well here, then why not stay? Who cares what a few posters think? (and it is only a few). But, whatever. Lots of options out here in e-land.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

conib (November 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

I've been discouraged from saying much after seeing posts where someone asked a question and was told to Google it. Definitely wouldn't dare to start a thread.
    It's all about the greys...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

davelindberg (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Unfortunately I seem to be quite alone with my art focus here which makes me a bit sad.
    Even back in my FPN times there were always at least some members which shared the art focus.

To be honest, I consider to move on with my drawing/sketching stuff to another board, maybe deviantart or something similar. It just don´t feel good when nobody else shares your passion and getting the impression that you post only for yourself. (Has more to to with my personal focus and not so much with the board problems).
    I enjoy your posts. I think the art and calligraphy subforum doesn't get a lot of traffic because people are mostly shy of demonstrating their amateur attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by C-J View Post
    New member here; I joined last week. What types of posts would you like to see from us?

I come to these forums to learn and expand my horizons. I wish I could drop a ton of unique knowledge, but you're likely to be far better informed. I have some (in my estimation) pretty pens and I'm happy to take pictures and share my thoughts on them, but I fear that wouldn't really elevate the discussion.
    Same here. I post more on Reddit because there I can actually help the newbies. There are fewer newbies here, and fewer opportunities for me to contribute to the discussion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

davelindberg (October 30th, 2017)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I'm sorry someone said that to you. While there are some negative people on every website, I really appreciate the people here on FPGeeks. On another note, I am also in love with grey inks—all the shades—especially Waterman (Grey) Intense Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I've been discouraged from saying much after seeing posts where someone asked a question and was told to Google it. Definitely wouldn't dare to start a thread.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    I enjoy your posts. I think the art and calligraphy subforum doesn't get a lot of traffic because people are mostly shy of demonstrating their amateur attempts.
    Thanks

No need to be shy, we are all amateurs here.

I see it different, not only as a way to publish and present your work, I see it as a way to use our tools and materials more often, as atttempts to improve, compare with others and grow together.
    It does not matter which level your art or calligraphy has reached, what matters is the fun creating it and enjoy sharing it with people that have similar interests.

Some years ago I was also really scared showing my writing and later my first scribblings too.

Using our platform and sharing should encourage to use our tools more often and have fun together.

Also my personal view changed over the years.
    First I was mainly a hunter of new pens, but then I realized that just owning many tools means not much.
    The thill of the hunt is a short one and then you want/search for the next and the next and so on.
    There is (at least for me) no long term joy and satisfaction by just hunting and owning.
    Now my focus changed. I get my enjoyment from using my tools and improving my skills using them.

At least this is how I see it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 30th, 2017), Amanda (October 30th, 2017), catbert (October 30th, 2017), Gangbi44 (March 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

If you donˋt like a board anymore feel free to leave it.
    Good luck with starting your own FP site, but I fear this will be a hard mission.
    Especially if your contribution to it will be mainly only some sales threads (I checked your posting history).
    To be honest, I consider your contribution here content wise as next to nothing over the last years, sorry.
    Using the forum as a personal selling platform to make business does not count as contribution in my eyes.

So as said good luck for your new FP site.

Thanks

If you donˋt like a board anymore feel free to leave it.
    Good luck with starting your own FP site, but I fear this will be a hard mission.
    Especially if your contribution to it will be mainly only some sales threads (I checked your posting history).
    To be honest, I consider your contribution here content wise as next to nothing over the last years, sorry.
    Using the forum as a personal selling platform to make business does not count as contribution in my eyes.

So as said good luck for your new FP site.
    Newbies and potentential new members should read this post.

Not a single person here is welcome to their own opinion without being ridiculed by others.

I am glad you find my posts of no value.

New members beware! There is a reason this site is consisted of mainly Sales Posts.

Many people here ridicule people, until they give up and leave.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davelindberg For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks

I will removing ALL of my sale items, please see me on eBay under "nmprofessional" for any members who have bought from me in the past.
    If all you want to do is tout, then eBay *is* where you belong.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

As to For Sale threads, the very nature of a collecting hobby is that items are bought and sold and traded, regularly and constantly, whether pens, watches, stamps or antique automobiles. Open the main page of FPGeeks and compare the viewership numbers of the various subforms, and those numbers speak for themselves. Deny it if you wish, but by far that the largest portion of viewers are reading For Sale. Like any online forum, public library or bookshop, your solution to uncomfortable or objectionable content popular with others is: do not read it. By the way, long ago, Jon Szanto(?) posted an easy method to see the list of new posts that doesn't include classifieds: first choose from thread tools of the Classifieds subforums to click on Mark This Forum Read, and only afterwards click on New Posts. If that's too much to handle, the internet has made us way too lazy.

Now, about this very thread with its whinging, whining and whatnot, or those those awful "Oh woe is me" and "Goodbye FPGeeks" threads posted in the Pens in General subform. The temptation to reply must be overcome unless one wants to keep such threads front and center.

Anyway, the exaggeration and complaining and feigned indignation in this thread are enough to drive anyone away from FPGeeks, and should be enough to lead this so-called Open Letter to a natural death as it mercifully slides off the bottom of this page. (The irony isn't lost on me that my post just bumps this thread to the top again.)

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 30th, 2017 at 07:44 AM.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 31st, 2017), BayesianPrior (October 30th, 2017), catbert (October 30th, 2017), Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2017), Seattleite (November 25th, 2017), SIR (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    There is a For Sale forum?
    Farmboy,

You certainly know there is a ‘For Sale’ forum both here and elsewhere. Are you suggesting that it can simply be ignored?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2017), SIR (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks

I love to buy and sell.

The nob-jockeys who are continually bumping their for sale threads just makes 'what's new' useless. It should be retitled 'the list of overpriced for sale listings where bellends are asking for more than their stupid pen can be ordered for new'.

There's a guy on there wants $80 plus shipping (was $95+) for a pen that's just over $60 brand new including delivery on Amazon with about 15 bumps. It's basically spam, and not the only one.

A rule of no bumping for sale threads would make things so much better.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urushi4u For This Useful Post:

EricTheRed (November 25th, 2017), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Cool Re: Open Letter to New FPGeeks

There is a For Sale forum?
    Farmboy,

You certainly know there is a ‘For Sale’ forum both here and elsewhere. Are you suggesting that it can simply be ignored?
    And so, the downward spiral accelerates...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urushi4u View Post
    I love to buy and sell.

The nob-jockeys who are continually bumping their for sale threads just makes 'what's new' useless. It should be retitled 'the list of overpriced for sale listings where bellends are asking for more than their stupid pen can be ordered for new'.

There's a guy on there wants $80 plus shipping (was $95+) for a pen that's just over $60 brand new including delivery on Amazon with about 15 bumps. It's basically spam, and not the only one.

A rule of no bumping for sale threads would make things so much better.
    And the possibility to exclude the sales threads from the “What’s new”.

And Fred I do not agree, it’s not acceptable for me to mark these forums every 2 hours again as read to have a clear picture of the real content.

This is IMO not primary a selling platform (not even secondarily), it’s a discussion forum.

I´m not in the hunt mode anymore so personally I´m not interested in sale offers anymore.
    I also do not sell things, I´m like a black hole, what already found it’s way into my collection stays there.

And even if I would be still in the hunt mode, I wouldn’t consider buying from a discussion board from people with unknown reputation.
    I only would consider buying from such a board from well known old fellows (and this list is quite short).

Such a discussion board is not a selling platform like eBay, it misses seller history, seller ratings, buyer protection, issue claiming possibilities and much more.
    Sellers are not transparent, in the best case they just want to avoid additional platform fees, in case of a problem the buyer has always disadvantages compared to a real selling platform.

So I would not mind to ban all selling threads from the forum.
    Or at least limit the sells to occasionally sells of well known members.
    (Semi) Professional sellers are imho completely wrong in a discussion board.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; October 30th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

My OP was not intended to name and shame, or resurrect the past debates—just point out that daily bumping clogs the new-post feed. I am surprised that some people were offended by my post, because everyone who have posted here have been conscientious in their sale posts. I wish that I never brought up the issue.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

This is IMO not primary a selling platform (not even secondarily), it’s a discussion forum.
    You are just typing what is patently not true. Open the main page of FPGeeks and look at the viewer numbers a few times in a day. Those numbers prove you are in denial of the obvious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    You are so wrong. Open the main page of FPGeeks and look at the viewer numbers a few times in a day. Those numbers prove you are in denial of the obvious.
    Sad that it turned out that way, but it does not mean that it has to be that way or stay that way, and that a flood of sales threads is a good thing for a discussion forum.