Thread: Question over Lamy Converters

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Question over Lamy Converters

I thought that both Lamy converters were compatible with Lamy Al-Stars. The Goulet's posted a video in this years ago claiming compatibility. Is this still the case?

I just purchased a Black LZ27 from a reputable dealer and put it into my Lamy Al-Star. The converter fits, but the pen now drips ink out of the nib if let to sit for a few minutes. It seems like air is getting in somewhere. What do you think?

thanks,
    DFO
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Question over Lamy Converters

I always use the red screw end ones Z28 because they clip into position positively on Safari, Al-Star and Nexx

Thanks

I agree with Chrissy. Z28 for Al Star's. I've never had a problem. The leak may be caused not having the "wings"/"nubs" that clip.

Thanks

The Al-Star now leaks with both converters. I have no idea what is going on. It was good for a year before this. I filled it up with Sailor Yama-dori and it just drips ink. I refilled it with my standard Diamine inks and it is still leaking................ I feel like an adult.

DFO

Thanks

I don't know your level, so it's hard to suggest things that you haven't already tried.
    However, you already checked the ink which would have been my first suggestion.
    I would check the nib and feed position first. Make sure nothing has moved or shifted during cleaning or use.
    Make sure there is good contact between the nib and feed.
    After that, you could try a Lamy cartridge if you have one available, see if this changes anything.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Both, the Z28(former Z24) and the Z26 (also known as Z27) should work for an Al Star.

Side note:
    Personally I bought some month ago a Safari Vista for my son, the obvious choice for a Safari is the Z28 but I thought that the red turning knob does not really fit to a demonstrator, so I bought a Z26 for it.
    This just work fine as well (it might not stick as tight together as with a Z28 but causes no problems at all)

PS.
    Lamy seems to have fun confusing their customers, not only to have 2 types of converters but also changing their names (numbers)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; October 30th, 2017 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Side note:
    Personally I bought some month ago a Safari Vista for my son, the obvious choice for a Safari is the Z28 but I thought that the red turning knob does not really fit to a demonstrator, so I bought a Z26 for it.
    This just work fine as well (it might not stick as tight together as with a Z28 but causes no problems at all)
    I complicated it by swapping the red and black turning doodahs over to achieve the same thing. Dunno why, except I could and, well, why not?

I would advocate as Sammyo suggests; give the feed a good push to make sure it's fully in, then try a cartridge if that fails. There's an outside chance you could get two leaky converters in a row.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    The Al-Star now leaks with both converters. I have no idea what is going on. It was good for a year before this. I filled it up with Sailor Yama-dori and it just drips ink. I refilled it with my standard Diamine inks and it is still leaking................ I feel like an adult.

DFO
    Co-incidentally, I have just experienced this problem with a Parker pen. In my case, there was something wrong between how the converter was seating on the feed nipple, because as soon as I put in a different converter, the problem was fixed.

I suggest you first try filling the converter with water. If the water just dribbles out, then at least you know where the problem is. Assuming the water stays in the converter, then the problem will be connection at the feed.

Then try a cartridge. If you have an empty Lamy cartridge available, then fill it with water using a syringe, and see if that fixes the problem. If the pen works with the cartridge then buy a new Z28 red screw end converter.

If the ink or water still dribbles out of the pen when you try a cartridge, then you have a problem with the way the feed nipple is seating with cartridge or converter. That's a more serious fix. Maybe it needs a long soak in pen flush and a really good flush through. If that doesn't work, it sounds like it needs a new feed or section.

Thanks

Thank you all for your comments. I pulled the feed and cleaned it last night and I will try your suggestions later today.