Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Earl Grey

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Earl Grey

Today I’m reviewing a sample of the increasingly popular new ink from Diamine called Earl Grey

Inside the box lid is a label that says “This ink colour was chosen by the members of r/fountainpens, a wonderful Reddit community of fountain pen enthusuiasts.”*

It’s a grey ink that has some purple tones, but it doesn’t particularly lean towards the purple or blue edge of the colour spectrum. I found it a very nice, quite wet and well flowing ink.

It wrote with a smooth glide across the papers I used.

It has some very nice shading, and looks more saturated with broader nibs than with finer nibs.

It showed through on some of the papers I used - see below.

The comparison inks were swabbed with a cotton bud and their ink names were written with a glass dip pen.

• Start-up: Immediate.
    • Flow Rate: Very good - wet
    • Lubrication: Very good - smooth
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Saturation: Reasonably saturated for a grey ink. Too saturated and they look black.
    • Shading Potential: Very good; shading can easily be seen.
    • Sheen: None noticed.
    • Spread / Feathering: Not seen
    • Show-Through:
      • CiAK by inTempo
      • Clairefontaine Matris
      • Moleskine Clone
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over a week in the pen
    • Staining (pen): Not seen - easy clean-up
    • Staining (hands): Not seen - easy clean-up
    • Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
    • Water resistance: Has no water resistance.
    • Availability: Available from Diamine Inks web-site and other outlets.

Diamine Earl Grey.jpg
    Diamine Earl Grey 7.jpegDiamine Earl Grey 004.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 3rd, 2019 at 01:55 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (October 30th, 2017), Amanda (October 30th, 2017), Faustine (November 3rd, 2017), jacksterp (November 3rd, 2017), jodylud (October 31st, 2017), KKay (November 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (October 31st, 2017), Pterodactylus (October 29th, 2017), RustyDarkMatter (November 7th, 2017), Wuddus (April 10th, 2018), Zhivago (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Earl Grey

Milk or lemon?
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 29th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Milk or lemon?
    If you do both you'll end up with shimmer particles in your tea

Thanks

Milk or lemon?
    Earl Grey is my regular tea, and I always drink it with a little milk. In England that is "semi-skimmed" and in the US it's 2%

Thanks

It's a great ink, isn't it? To me, it was neutral.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    It's a great ink, isn't it? To me, it was neutral.
    I like it and I'm not usually a grey ink fan at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Milk or lemon?
    A pinch of sugar to bring out the bergamot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Milk or lemon?
    Some have a better bergamot flavour than others. I prefer Twinings Earl Grey teabags

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Milk or lemon?
    Some have a better bergamot flavour than others. I prefer Twinings Earl Grey teabags
    I too prefer the Twinings. A few years back on my first visit to London, I made my way down the Strand from Trafalgar and ended up (very intentionally) in the Twinings tea shop. The back of the building has a little tea museum with the history of the company, but it was closed for meetings. I was told I could come back the next day to check it out. So I did. When I arrived they were between meetings, but I could take 10 minutes to look around.

During my perusing, an older gentlemen in the back greeted me and asked if I was enjoying what was on display. I replied that I was enjoying it very much and that (being an American) I had always wanted to visit the original Twinings because it was the first tea I had ever drank (been drinking it since I was...10? 12?). A few praise filled sentences later, the gentlemen said, "Well, Jon, it's very nice to meet you. My name is Stephen. Twining."

I was dumb-founded (and a bit embarrassed for my rather impassioned speech over my love of Twinings tea). I don't really remember what I said afterwards (mostly stammering, waiting for my tongue to catch up), but he walked me out because meetings were starting back up and told me to select any teas I wanted and that he would pay for them. I grabbed my beloved English breakfast, a Ceylon, and a box of Orange Blossom Earl Grey (from the original limited release, which I understand is a regular offering these days). I wish I had asked Mr. Twining to sign the box, but my brain was still whirling.

I still have the lid to the Ceylon and one bag of the Orange Blossom Earl Grey stowed away somewhere.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 1st, 2017), catbert (July 4th, 2023), Chrissy (October 31st, 2017), Faustine (November 3rd, 2017), KKay (November 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Milk or lemon?
    I too prefer the Twinings. A few years back on my first visit to London, I made my way down the Strand from Trafalgar and ended up (very intentionally) in the Twinings tea shop. The back of the building has a little tea museum with the history of the company, but it was closed for meetings. I was told I could come back the next day to check it out. So I did. When I arrived they were between meetings, but I could take 10 minutes to look around.

During my perusing, an older gentlemen in the back greeted me and asked if I was enjoying what was on display. I replied that I was enjoying it very much and that (being an American) I had always wanted to visit the original Twinings because it was the first tea I had ever drank (been drinking it since I was...10? 12?). A few praise filled sentences later, the gentlemen said, "Well, Jon, it's very nice to meet you. My name is Stephen. Twining."

I was dumb-founded (and a bit embarrassed for my rather impassioned speech over my love of Twinings tea). I don't really remember what I said afterwards (mostly stammering, waiting for my tongue to catch up), but he walked me out because meetings were starting back up and told me to select any teas I wanted and that he would pay for them. I grabbed my beloved English breakfast, a Ceylon, and a box of Orange Blossom Earl Grey (from the original limited release, which I understand is a regular offering these days). I wish I had asked Mr. Twining to sign the box, but my brain was still whirling.

I still have the lid to the Ceylon and one bag of the Orange Blossom Earl Grey stowed away somewhere.
    That's a lovely story. I'm pleased it happened to you, and that you have such a sweet memory of your visit.

I must try Orange Blossom Earl Grey.

Thanks

Milk or lemon?

What an amazing story! I've only been to London once, but it was the first city that felt like home. I loved the Bar at the End of the World, Tate museum, terrified of the Millennium Bridge and London Eye (fear of heights), oh man, the Indian and Bengali food on Brick Lane....everything was amazing. I happened to walk through hide park and saw a big event happening at Buckingham. Turns out the prime minister from Poland was visiting and I got to see the Queen in her carriage. It was one of the best two weeks of my life.

Ironically, the other place that felt like home was Black Rock City. I was walking back from the deep playa when a dust storm hit. A gentleman in a golf cart asked me if I wanted a ride back. I introduced myself, and he said "Fantastic to meet you Memory. I'm Larry Harvey." We had a lovely chat and he dropped me off at my camp. All of my camp mates were so excited, and I didn't know why. Turns out that he was one of the two people that started Burning Man on Ocean beach in San Francisco. It's always been a magical time out there, and I can't wait to go back someday. I went 7 years in a row before it became completely cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    Milk or lemon?

What an amazing story! I've only been to London once, but it was the first city that felt like home. I loved the Bar at the End of the World, Tate museum, terrified of the Millennium Bridge and London Eye (fear of heights), oh man, the Indian and Bengali food on Brick Lane....everything was amazing. I happened to walk through hide park and saw a big event happening at Buckingham. Turns out the prime minister from Poland was visiting and I got to see the Queen in her carriage. It was one of the best two weeks of my life.

Ironically, the other place that felt like home was Black Rock City. I was walking back from the deep playa when a dust storm hit. A gentleman in a golf cart asked me if I wanted a ride back. I introduced myself, and he said "Fantastic to meet you Memory. I'm Larry Harvey." We had a lovely chat and he dropped me off at my camp. All of my camp mates were so excited, and I didn't know why. Turns out that he was one of the two people that started Burning Man on Ocean beach in San Francisco. It's always been a magical time out there, and I can't wait to go back someday. I went 7 years in a row before it became completely cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Defintiely met a lot of of the original burners when I lived in SF. London is still one of my all time favorite cities. I just loved it there.

I must try Orange Blossom Earl Grey.
    Do! It's a very nice earl grey. I haven't checked on American distribution recently. May have to look in to tracking down a box.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

> Inside the box lid is a label that says “This ink colour was chosen by the members of r/fountainpens, a wonderful Reddit community of fountain pen enthusuiasts.”*

Yes, this is the same community that a few of us here think is full of young people who don't know better.

Thank you Chrissy for putting your stamp of approval on this ink. I voted for the name and the color "Earl Grey"
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 3rd, 2017), Chrissy (November 5th, 2017), KKay (November 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Still on the fence regarding this ink - although your review is more in line with my expectations regarding color and saturation.

Thanks again for another inspirational review.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksterp For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    > Inside the box lid is a label that says “This ink colour was chosen by the members of r/fountainpens, a wonderful Reddit community of fountain pen enthusuiasts.”*

Yes, this is the same community that a few of us here think is full of young people who don't know better.

Thank you Chrissy for putting your stamp of approval on this ink. I voted for the name and the color "Earl Grey"
    You're welcome. You're the first person I have met who voted for this name and colour. Thank you, You chose well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksterp View Post
    Still on the fence regarding this ink - although your review is more in line with my expectations regarding color and saturation.

Thanks again for another inspirational review.
    You're welcome. I have read comments on some reviews where people thought it might be more blue or more purple than the ink that they received. Earl Grey is less blue than Chopin and slightly more purple than Sparkling Shadows. I tried my very best to make sure I showed this in my review.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 5th, 2017 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks

I am really enjoying it. Not as much as the Herbin teas but still..

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stickler For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 6th, 2017), Chrissy (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I am really enjoying it. Not as much as the Herbin teas but still..

I like your writing style.

Also your picture proves that Diamine have made it available in 30ml plastic bottles, as well as 80ml glass bottles. There was originally some doubt about whether it would be available in both sizes.

Thanks

We were all young once. I was reserving judgement on this one as I was quite disappointed with Diamine Silver Fox, and the reddit hype immediately turns me off, but I think possibly this time the hype is real.

I might just try adding some black, cyan and magenta to Silver Fox to try and get a reasonable match for starters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urushi4u View Post

We were all young once. I was reserving judgement on this one as I was quite disappointed with Diamine Silver Fox, and the reddit hype immediately turns me off, but I think possibly this time the hype is real.

I might just try adding some black, cyan and magenta to Silver Fox to try and get a reasonable match for starters.
    I agree that Silver Fox is quite a pale shade.