Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 904 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Alright, now that we are all coming out of the woodwork and start to get some traffic going, let's do something fun.

    Since I've discovered that cigar box can be converted into pen box or case or display, it has been a secret mini-fascination of mine.

    This is my latest cigar box pen case:



    I love this box and coincidentally, the initial of the company is RP just like Redeem Pens

    Show me yours and tell us something about it.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (October 31st, 2017), da vinci (October 30th, 2017), jodylud (October 30th, 2017), Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2017), MY63 (October 31st, 2017), NibsForScript (May 6th, 2018), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2017), VertOlive (October 29th, 2017)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    da vinci (October 30th, 2017), jodylud (October 30th, 2017), MY63 (October 31st, 2017), penwash (October 31st, 2017), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2017), VertOlive (October 30th, 2017)

  5. #3
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lone Star Planet
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    3,410
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Where to get the black liner?
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?óMary Oliver

  6. #4
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Where to get the black liner?
    I purchased those from Michelle of Pendora, whom I don't believe is in business anymore. At one point she was clearing out her pen supplies and inventory - I'll see if I can find contact and check if anything is left.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    VertOlive (October 30th, 2017)

  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 904 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Where to get the black liner?
    I purchased those from Michelle of Pendora, whom I don't believe is in business anymore. At one point she was clearing out her pen supplies and inventory - I'll see if I can find contact and check if anything is left.
    Jon, I'd be interested in black or other colors also if you managed to contact them. My supply of the beige one is almost gone.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  9. #6
    Junior Member Northern Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.... beautiful fountain pens in even "beautifuler" repurposed cigar pen boxes. I only have one box, a 6-pen box I bought online from BamaPen's Pen Boxes about five or six years ago. Simple but classy. Seeing what you've posted makes me want another - I certainly have enough pens! Might even try my hand at buying an empty box and customizing it myself.

  10. #7
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lone Star Planet
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    3,410
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Gentleman View Post
    Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.... beautiful fountain pens in even "beautifuler" repurposed cigar pen boxes. I only have one box, a 6-pen box I bought online from BamaPen's Pen Boxes about five or six years ago. Simple but classy. Seeing what you've posted makes me want another - I certainly have enough pens! Might even try my hand at buying an empty box and customizing it myself.
    I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?óMary Oliver

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 904 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!
    I do not smoke cigar either. But my local wine store has a small but well-stocked humidor inside and they sell all the boxes they want to get rid of for $1.50 each

    I bet if I venture into a real smoke-shop, I'd get a larger variety and probably lower cost per box as well. I just haven't get around to doing that.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  12. #9
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!
    Nor do I (smoke). There is a local cigar place that sells all their empties for $1 a piece, with the money going to a local Veteran's organization. Win-win. Still working on the black liners, but if you just want to have something in there, Gary Lehrer still makes them available at gopens.com.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    penwash (November 1st, 2017)

  14. #10
    Senior Member Paddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 443 Times in 228 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    The way I make a cigar box pen case is to just take the cigars out of it and pour in the pens. If I put liners in, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted, sorting through all the boxes.
    Written on a real computer and real keyboard with capital letters, punctuation, and everything.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

    penwash (November 1st, 2017)

  16. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    I've made quite a number of cigar box pen boxes since Northern Gentleman bought one from me years ago. If you are interested (shameless plug), click this link to visit my site: Cigar Box Pen Storage

  17. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Here's a pretty one. I added some vintage map artwork inside the lid:


  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BamaPen For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (November 2nd, 2017), MY63 (November 2nd, 2017), penwash (November 1st, 2017)

  19. #13
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lone Star Planet
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    3,410
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaPen View Post
    Here's a pretty one. I added some vintage map artwork inside the lid:

    Very tempted by the tall boxes on your website. Man, you have started something!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?óMary Oliver

  20. #14
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    The way I make a cigar box pen case is to just take the cigars out of it and pour in the pens. If I put liners in, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted, sorting through all the boxes.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE TOUCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  21. #15
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Slightly unrelated, but... with my supply of boxes on hand, I decided to make a holder for something new I want to get into: artistic forays. This contains some basic sketching and watercolor bits, and I added an image to the box interior (as well as duding up a Curnow notepad):

    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    Amanda (November 12th, 2017), NibsForScript (December 6th, 2017), VertOlive (November 2nd, 2017)

  23. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 904 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaPen View Post
    I've made quite a number of cigar box pen boxes since Northern Gentleman bought one from me years ago. If you are interested (shameless plug), click this link to visit my site: Cigar Box Pen Storage
    I think I've seen your website once long time ago. Glad you decided to join us here.

    And now you're tempting me with the tall vertical pen boxes, I have never seen one of those.

    Do you also work on existing boxes? Let's say I found a cool one, can I send it to you to put a liner in?
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  24. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 904 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Slightly unrelated, but... with my supply of boxes on hand, I decided to make a holder for something new I want to get into: artistic forays. This contains some basic sketching and watercolor bits, and I added an image to the box interior (as well as duding up a Curnow notepad):

    So... so ... so, we are going to see some watercolor paintings from you?
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  25. #18
    Senior Member Paddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 443 Times in 228 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    The way I make a cigar box pen case is to just take the cigars out of it and pour in the pens. If I put liners in, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted, sorting through all the boxes.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE TOUCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is what the home-school kids say when they go to their first dance.

    Actually, though, the pens are fine in there as long as you don't shake the box.
    Written on a real computer and real keyboard with capital letters, punctuation, and everything.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

    Marsilius (November 12th, 2017)

  27. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaPen View Post
    I've made quite a number of cigar box pen boxes since Northern Gentleman bought one from me years ago. If you are interested (shameless plug), click this link to visit my site: Cigar Box Pen Storage
    I think I've seen your website once long time ago. Glad you decided to join us here.

    And now you're tempting me with the tall vertical pen boxes, I have never seen one of those.

    Do you also work on existing boxes? Let's say I found a cool one, can I send it to you to put a liner in?
    The tall boxes are really fun to do, and you get a lot of pens, stored nib up, in a small footprint. And, yes, I have on occasion fixed up a box that someone provided. In fact I just finished such a thing this afternoon. If you are interested, let me know what you have first. You can contact me at BamaPen@jehubbard.com

    John
    Last edited by BamaPen; November 2nd, 2017 at 04:23 PM.

  28. #20
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    4,509
    Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!
    I did manage to find my source and ascertain she is still doing business. Michell St. Claire, dba Pendora Pens, has stopped all her other pen stuff but still provides the liners, which you can see and order right here.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    Marsilius (November 12th, 2017), VertOlive (November 2nd, 2017)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •