Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reductionist Job Descriptions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Default Reductionist Job Descriptions

People have often asked me "Exactly what do you do?" When I was a chemist, the description had to be tailored to the listener and was often amusingly reductionist: "I mess with stuff to find out what's in it."

Now that I'm interning as a funeral director the answer is "We take dead people, put a big smile on their face, and put 'em in a box."

What, exactly, do you do?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Amanda (October 31st, 2017), Annie (November 19th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Kaputnik (October 31st, 2017), Lady Onogaro (October 31st, 2017), Morgaine (November 2nd, 2017), R.A. Stewart (November 13th, 2017), TSherbs (November 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Reductionist Job Descriptions

I began my working life in computer graphics, then went to art school, which has led to me now having two jobs at once. As an artist I apply layers of goop to surfaces, then re-arrange them until it's attractive and has many layers of meaning. My other is re-arranging pixels until an old mess looks like a new photo. (It helps to be able to paint when there's anatomy missing.)
    It's all about the greys...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I am retired. I am an American Idle.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

1791thinkshop (November 4th, 2017), Annie (November 19th, 2017), fountainpenkid (November 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), penwash (November 1st, 2017), Robert (November 1st, 2017), Stands on Feet (June 25th, 2022), VegHead (November 4th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017), welch (January 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Back before I became a NEET I explained that my job was to make more mistakes than anyone else but only make a mistake once.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017)

Thanks

I move numbers around in a spreadsheet and sometimes type then into reports when I've stopped moving them around in the spreadsheet.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I own and operate an acupuncture clinic. So my reductionist description, I suppose, would be "I poke people with pins."

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Morgaine (November 2nd, 2017), R.A. Stewart (November 13th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post

Now that I'm interning as a funeral director the answer is "We take dead people, put a big smile on their face, and put 'em in a box."

That reminds me of how one of my dad's friends used to answer the phone. He'd pick up and either say, "Steve's mortuary, you stab 'em we slab 'em!" or "Steve's Crematorium, you kill 'em we grill 'em!"

Steve was an odd cat.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Annie (November 19th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Marsilius (November 24th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

That reminds me of how one of my dad's friends used to answer the phone. He'd pick up and either say, "Steve's mortuary, you stab 'em we slab 'em!" or "Steve's Crematorium, you kill 'em we grill 'em!"

Steve was an odd cat.
    Definitely hard core, old school!

Thanks

I talk, a lot, in front of eighteen-year-olds who sometimes listen to me. Also rub a piece of chalk on a piece of slate until my hands are white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), TSherbs (November 1st, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I apologize for literature.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), Fouez (November 7th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), manoeuver (January 4th, 2022), Marsilius (November 24th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I apologize for literature.
    This has me laughing harder than it probably should.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

...Now that I'm interning as a funeral director the answer is "We take dead people, put a big smile on their face, and put 'em in a box."
    That got a smile from me, I must admit, although it would not have a year and a half ago when I was making arrangements for my mother. But in a job where almost all your clients are grieving, I can see how you'd have to keep some sense of humor about it.

In my job, I suppose you could say that I pace around nervously waiting for things to break, and try not to panic when they do. I'm a lead electronics technician at a satellite Earth station, and I do my best to keep us on the air.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Annie (November 19th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), penwash (November 1st, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    ...Now that I'm interning as a funeral director the answer is "We take dead people, put a big smile on their face, and put 'em in a box."
    That got a smile from me, I must admit, although it would not have a year and a half ago when I was making arrangements for my mother. But in a job where almost all your clients are grieving, I can see how you'd have to keep some sense of humor about it.

In my job, I suppose you could say that I pace around nervously waiting for things to break, and try not to panic when they do. I'm a lead electronics technician at a satellite Earth station, and I do my best to keep us on the air.
    Aw Kaputnik, I'm sorry. No harm was meant. Just my nerdy attempt at humor for the thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

Aw Kaputnik, I'm sorry. No harm was meant. Just my nerdy attempt at humor for the thread.
    No offense was taken, and I'm sorry in turn if that wasn't clear. It's just that the humor of a situation depends on your perspective.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

People have often asked me "Exactly what do you do?" When I was a chemist, the description had to be tailored to the listener and was often amusingly reductionist: "I mess with stuff to find out what's in it."

Among my first jobs I list 'Driver, Hearse'. Yes for 50 in cash I would pick up a passenger and deliver said passenger to the Director.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I persuade and dissuade people.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), manoeuver (January 4th, 2022), Marsilius (November 24th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I have done quite a few things.... You would have to talk to others to see if I was any good in them.
    Worked in nukes. Have a distinctive glow about me. Became a teacher there. Got downsized.
    Had a business making flat tires round again. Got dirty. Sold it.
    Maintained stuff until I overheard the association manager say on the phone that she would suck the information I had out of me, then fire me. The next day she had my keys and gate card on her desk.
    Used a computer to put words and other things on paper. Two friends in the business said I should have asked them first.... Walked away but learned something from it.
    Worked my way up in Lions Clubs International. Great organizaton, still there.
    Since I retired (tired again) I learned to cut keys, pick locks. It keeps me out of the house. I do have a key to get in. Must be doing OK. Still there.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), JFB (November 17th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Morgaine (November 2nd, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I've helped people get slightly merry for money giving them some liquid to imbibe, also what goes in must come out so one of the things I had to do was to make sure paper was installed in the cubicles.

Also tried to ask people questions on a variety of things so that companies can find out if they are doing things right.

Didn't enjoy walking around knocking on doors/cold-calling to persuade people to order eggs and veg, and things for delivery every fortnight.

I've searched online and collated information into a database.

People picked their own veg on a farm but still have to pay, giving me the money to put in the till.

Had a go at making numbers add up, playing hunt the invoice.

What else?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Various jobs in my life.

I look for patterns in numbers. (Investment analyst)
    I take bits of wood and put holes in them until they sound good. (Wind instrument maker. Have also been known to use said perfected bits of wood in anger and get paid for that, too.)
    I find out things and tell people. (Journalist)
    I invent things and tell people. (Fiction writer)
    and...
    I send money a long way away and hope it will remember to come back. (Investor)

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Marsilius (November 24th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm a professor…
    I tell one group of people things I don't know a lot about but they think I'm an expert.
    I write about things I'm an expert on but another group of people think I don't know anything.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

amk (November 3rd, 2017), Hawk (November 4th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2017), Kaputnik (November 2nd, 2017), Marsilius (November 24th, 2017), VertOlive (November 5th, 2017)